Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What level of gun restrictions is right?
I believe private citizens should not be allowed to own firearms (total ban). 7 3.78%
I believe private citizens should have many more restrictions on firearms (no military-style weapons, magazines of a certain size, etc). 37 20.00%
I believe existing gun laws are fine, we just need better enforcement. 70 37.84%
I believe existing gun laws are too restrictive; they should be loosened. 31 16.76%
I believe there should be no laws on firearm ownership, since it is a right guaranteed by the Second Amendment. 40 21.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
With all the respect I can muster, is this comment of yours not just more blah, blah, blah?
If you call getting called out, blah blah blah, because you cannot provide any link....then i guess so....

So you cannot provide any links....lol...

Old 01-27-2016, 06:05 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Default Well, all you have to do

is prove what YOU said.....I admitted nothing other than saying "maybe twice" and that somehow means you suspect that I have said it more, maybe your inability to comprehend what "maybe" means is the comprehension problem....

You don't want to dig, because you damn well know man, you did not tell the truth....if you did, you would dig, just like I would...your

Unless you mean 2 times means all the time as you say....must be that leftist math....

Using the word "challenged" 1 - 2 times, maybe (admitted by me) in a 400+ posting thread now becomes one of my favorite words....LOL...

Hell by that measure, you love the word "that", hell you said it twice in the post below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't know man..., I'll settle for your admission of maybe twice rather than dig through this thread to get you the count that I suspect is more than just twice. Better that than waste my time any more today, but suffice to say, your choice of the word "challenge" is comical - whether the first time or the second...
You suspect, I suspect you don't like to tell the truth....can I back it up, maybe but I suspect and would rather not go through this thread, just because I suspect....

Old 02-01-2016, 09:02 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Tell that to the around 5000 pedestrians who were killed by motor vehicles, or the 4500 motorcyclists who were also killed by motor vehicles (possibly their own), they were not at the time of their expiration making use of cars.

The issue is this, you've claimed several times you friends consider you a numbers guy. Well if you were then you'd either take my position which is that 32,000 deaths and 2.3 million injuries are considered acceptable for a car, so pft, guns, they're nothing. Or you should be focusing on the greater impact of road traffic accidents. Which are to be frank in the vast majority of cases entirely preventable.

People don't need to drive, we choose to. There are a million ways to provide people goods services and employment without the need for a car, there just needs to be the will to do so. There is no such will to develop walkable communities, or provide public transportation, or for companies able to do so to telecommute, so we'll keep nibbling around the edges including technology that reduces risk of death to the driver, but does little for those people who are not in a car or light truck, an ABS, ABS actually provides you with around a 100ms wider window to prevent a collision, under the best conditions, under the worst it can actually reduce your window (but they're fringe cases and not considered important).

The risks are not too high, but your chance of being killed in an RTA are more than three times the chance of being intentionally killed by a gun. Your chance of being injured in an RTA is more than 25 times the chance of being injured with a gun. However those risks are apparently not too high, but they are for guns. That as I mentioned is logically inconsistent, doubly so for a self proclaimed numbers guy, numbers guys are only interested in the numbers, and the numbers are quite straight forward. Let me put it this way...

You have 32,000 deaths and 2.3 Million injuries from cause A.
You have 11,000 deaths and 90,000 injuries from cause B.

Which cause is the higher priority?

I think the issue with the auto analogy is quite simple, it illuminates an inconvenient truth you and others do not wish to address.

It's a matter of scale. The bigger the issue the more response should be provided. However that isn't what we see, for decades tens of thousands have died and millions have been injured on the roads of the US and it's a perfectly acceptable price to pay for our convenience and pleasure (note I don't think people even consider it as acceptable or not, they just don't consider it a choice). However it's not an acceptable price to pay for a constitutionally protected right, the right of self defense.
^ This in summary

Old 02-01-2016, 09:06 AM

593 posts, read 668,021 times
I would support much stricter gun laws with more restrictions to purchase. I am gun owner myself, but not your NRA loving backwoods inbred. I do believe firearms are protected by the constitution, but at the same time i believe the culture and behavior of america as a whole has changed beyond recognition since this amendment was written. America is so saturated with guns, even thinking about a gun free nation is nothing more than a day dream. I would personally love to see the gun show/ private seller loop-hole closed as a starting point. IMO it is way to easy for anyone to get a gun.

All of the above are my own feelings, and quite frankly i don't care if you agree or disagree with me. The reality is the gun debate is like the death penalty debate; each side lives and breathes their own viewpoint and we will likely never get anywhere with it as a result. We will argue it until the end of time but deep down i think we all know that nothing will ever change.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
I would support much stricter gun laws with more restrictions to purchase. I am gun owner myself, but not your NRA loving backwoods inbred. I do believe firearms are protected by the constitution, but at the same time i believe the culture and behavior of america as a whole has changed beyond recognition since this amendment was written. America is so saturated with guns, even thinking about a gun free nation is nothing more than a day dream. I would personally love to see the gun show/ private seller loop-hole closed as a starting point. IMO it is way to easy for anyone to get a gun.

All of the above are my own feelings, and quite frankly i don't care if you agree or disagree with me. The reality is the gun debate is like the death penalty debate; each side lives and breathes their own viewpoint and we will likely never get anywhere with it as a result. We will argue it until the end of time but deep down i think we all know that nothing will ever change.
For your viewing enjoyment...

Comedian Goes Undercover to Test Out the ‘Gun Show Loophole’

Old 02-01-2016, 09:17 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm interpreting this as: "I have a gun and I don't want others to have one too because I want to be advantaged"

Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Liberals love gun control laws because it is a advantage to their criminal children.
You are disarmed, and they are armed . and the liberal judges turn them loose any way.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:55 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Just watched that for the first time. Great stuff.

The gun show loophole is an old wives tale, no matter how many times people repeat the myth. Notice it's never backed by evidence, this video is why.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Default Well put...

Quote:

I appreciate your comments and sentiments, especially as they relate to the difference between our societal concerns today vs back when the Constitution was written, but what is missing here is your list.

Not a requirement by me, please understand, but it was made clear to me by the three-pack that tends to dominate the air waves here, that you must have a list that clearly shows where you place gun-control on your list of public policy issues in order of priority. If you don't do so, the penalty is all manner of childishness intended to test your patience. Now you've gone and added the death penalty which means you must measure the value or cost of injuries and deaths related to the death penalty and then either agree or disagree the matter can even be considered in light of the other higher-count causes of injury and death.

Like you are also right to observe, we are not likely to agree about much of this, but never mind whether you agree or not, this thread does not belong to you, so you are expected to comply with the requirements of those who think they do own this thread.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Default Truth sayer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Liberals love gun control laws because it is a advantage to their criminal children.
You are disarmed, and they are armed . and the liberal judges turn them loose any way.
This is about the most truthful statement I've read an anti-gun control poster comment yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies