Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 04:45 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times

Advertisements

This is a vast oversimplification, but I think that the mentalities of Americans generally fall under one of three categories:

#camotough
#streettough
#elitist

You probably have some idea what each category represents. But I'd like to see what people think about different mentalities in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 04:50 PM

#camotough

Generally from a rural or similar background, #camotough knows hard work. They're independent minded, but for the few that make in into their circles, they'll protect them for life. They'll break their backs everyday without expecting too much in return, but what they get will be enough to keep them content. Their personalities may vary - some are outgoing, some are reserved, but they'll always be friendly and will give the shift off of their backs to a stranger in need.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM

#streettough

They tend to be from an urban background, and also value hard work. They are part of a community, and sincerely value looking after each and every member of it. To them, their village is not only where they live - it's their family. They have no problem sacrificing their desires so that others - maybe their children, or maybe their friends, can fulfill their dreams. They are willing to suffer poverty and loss without blinking too much of an eye, and if you show up at their house, you'll be taking food home with you.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 PM

#elitist

Everybody else. Embarrassed to work hard without getting something bigger in return. May secretly be envious of the other two categories and try to co-opt them without putting in the needed sacrifices. Or, they might look down on the other two categories and create a culture to exclude them.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:04 PM

52,246 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Bizarre thread and some odd views of people.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:05 PM

548 posts, read 473,577 times
Not at all.

I'm an elitist. It means I know I'm smarter and richer than the hicks and the thugs. They don't even deserve to lick my boots, why would I want to emulate them or be jealous in any way?

If I wanted to I would just buy a couple of slobs from Kentucky and make some human furniture to eat off of.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:11 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,386,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
This is a vast oversimplification, but I think that the mentalities of Americans generally fall under one of three categories:

#camotough
#streettough
#elitist

You probably have some idea what each category represents. But I'd like to see what people think about different mentalities in general.
I agree with the phrase in red

Old 02-05-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupBro View Post
Not at all.

I'm an elitist. It means I know I'm smarter and richer than the hicks and the thugs. They don't even deserve to lick my boots, why would I want to emulate them or be jealous in any way?

If I wanted to I would just buy a couple of slobs from Kentucky and make some human furniture to eat off of.
A lot of people who you think are "hicks" and "thugs" are actually elitists themselves. You can be poor and be one.

The emulators are those who buy a big truck, listen to country music, and dress themselves in Mossy Oak or Realtree and call themselves #camotough while living large, or those who decorate themselves with bling and listen to rap and hip hop and call themselves #streettough while also living large. They wouldn't be able to last for 20 minutes if they really had to live those values.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:

#camotough
#streettough
#elitist

It's a vast over-simplification.

[#officetough]

Old 02-05-2016, 05:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
#camotough

Generally from a rural or similar background, #camotough knows hard work. They're independent minded, but for the few that make in into their circles, they'll protect them for life. They'll break their backs everyday without expecting too much in return, but what they get will be enough to keep them content. Their personalities may vary - some are outgoing, some are reserved, but they'll always be friendly and will give the shift off of their backs to a stranger in need.
This defines the majority of the people in my area. It isnt income or education based. But for years due to our more rural nature and weather extremes our ancestors have always had to depend on others for survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies