Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
The right to bear arms shall not be infringed

wonder if it was your kid shot --say the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:55 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Yes I would say the same.

Why? Because the right to keep and bear arms has nothing to do with the criminal actions of a few. The Second Amendment doesn't make people evil, and if it were my kid, I wouldn't think that everyone should have their rights taken away or restricted just because some lunatic had evil in their heart.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 01-28-2016 at 01:09 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Most likely, a person who is grieving a loss lashes out at another. It is understandable.

However, a grieving person's internal sources of anger come from his/her irrational perceptions of reality.

Which is exactly why politicians shouldn't be using grieving parents to push an agenda.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Of course not. Those people should be prosecuted, the same way a drunk driver is prosecuted. But, when someone drives drunk and causes a crash, we don't cast dispersions on all drivers do we? The drunk driver doesn't somehow sully the image of everyone who drives do they? Nor do the actions of drunk drivers spur on national conversations or referendums on driving... When's the last time someone started a thread about a drunk driver on here?

We should pay this guy in the movie theater no more attention than we pay a drunk driver, and each should suffer the consequences of their actions.
That's because driving is a vital part of our lives and economy, and we cannot take that away.

Drinking is a part of our culture dating back centuries and we certainly cannot take that away. We tried, it was a disaster.

Guns, on the other hand, is neither a vital part of our lives nor is it ingrained in our culture (you can argue some culture but certainly those are minorities); many would say it is unnecessary and completely out of place in developed societies.

Quote:
On a rifle magazine, yes, but I've never heard of that being done with a pistol magazine.

I say this with the possibility that I could be completely wrong, but I've never heard of loading a pistol mag with a stripper clip, it certainly isn't common practice.
I never said I only shot pistols did I?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I don't live my life based on statistics. Guess what? The odds of me getting in a fatal car crash are 100% greater than if I didn't drive a car or ride with someone else, but I still drive. I own a dog, so the odds of me getting bit by my own dog are 100% higher than if I didn't own a dog at all. Actually in my specific case, I own 3, so I guess my odds go up 300%

Aren't statistics fun! While they may be useful in some instances, they only tell a small part of the story and aren't that reliable when weighing the relative risks of something.

If only Liberals applied the same logic to things like sex and encouraged abstinence. "As careful and safe as you are, you'll never be as safe as the person who doesn't have casual, pre-marital, promiscuous sex".....
Statistics has to mesh with common sense. You are using the first but ignoring the later.

Driving is a vital part of our infrastructure and economy. Driving is a choice up to a certain extend (depending on where you live, your finance, and tolerance, etc); but in general, driving is a necessary thing because our country's infrastructure is built for driving.

Our economy does not depend on guns. Our infrastructure has no affect whether you own a gun or not. A gun is a choice item that one can live without and it will not make one difference in that person's lives.

Sex is one of the basic needs of human beings like food, water, shelter. Guns are not. To compare them is like comparing eating to shooting and treat them like they are equal, which is silly.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no we cant ignore, then, which is why i said when you come across these people, YOU CALL THE POLICE ON THEM!!!!!!
That's not really a solution is it? Even if I choose to do that, most people don't.

Quote:
given the LACK of proper terminology, you show the lack of knowing anything about firearms, using your words above, load the mag with clips? are you serious?

rubbish, the use of proper terminology is always necessary, even if you have to educate others on the its use.
I agreed. You are going to dwell on one instance of me using the wrong terms? Fine.

Quote:
only when i absolutely have to.
EXACTLY!! No matter how careful you are, you will always find yourself handling guns among other people! That was exactly my point.

Quote:
i never assume anything about other gun owners.
Really? See below.

Quote:
in other words you are afraid of guns because you dont really know how to handle them properly. my guns have never harmed anyone, except a bunch of paper targets.
Sure, you sitting behind the keyboard knows exactly how I used to handle guns. Okay.

Quote:
thats the point, to be EVEN MORE careful than one who doesnt carry.
Good. That should be the minimum of what you should do when you are carrying.

Quote:
one, the 18th amendment was repealed by the 21st amendment.
Perhaps one day, the 2nd is next.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Perhaps one day, the 2nd is next.
dont count on it. there would have to be a massive change in the mood of the people, much like when the 18th amendment was passed, in order for anyone to take such a movement seriously. that means you are going to have to change about 250,000,000 minds before you can even think about repealing the second amendment.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:14 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
Who say's this is a "good guy" with a gun.

Some gun owners are not good guys with guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies