Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 02:11 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I neither support it nor am I against it. My question would be why build the wall. The usual answer is to secure our borders, which is fine, but is building a wall actually the most efficient and cost effective way to do that? And that's where the Trumpets falter.

Constructing a wall that spans the entire US/Mexico border is not a cheap project. How do we pay for that? The only real possible solution is a relatively significant increase in taxation or gutting of everything else in the budget, which will interfere with the Donald's plan to 'kick ISIS ass.' And I know Trump has said he'll make Mexico pay for it but because I had parents who loved me enough to teach me at least a minimum level of common sense, I know that's BS.

And then there's the question of efficiency. Is a wall really the best way to deal with illegal immigration? And maybe it would be effective, but that still leaves the question of cost? And does the effectiveness make the high costs worth it?

And I'm not expecting any real answer to this. Generally, supporters of Mr. Trump don't give answers. At least not informed or coherent ones. Him speaking his mind and having the macho to do what's necessary does not answer the question: is the wall worth it?
First off, I'm not a Trump supporter and will be quick to point out that it is NOT Trump's wall. It was approved years ago (2006 if my memory is correct). Without question the wall is expensive-somewhere around 10 billion. However, when one considers what illegals cost us, it is insignificant. Now one can argue that a wall is not the MOST efficient method of control but as compared to what??? Doing nothing??Please explain to me how will doing NOTHING solve the problem! It seems to me that in order to resolve the issue, it will indeed require more than just a wall and this has been noted by several posters (including myself) in this thread. That being said, the wall, along with strict enforcement of our laws would probably get us most of the way there.

Then again, there seems to be quite a few in this thead that think we don't have a problem. I especially like the brilliant ideas of putting a wall around Trump. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant useful solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Yes and I think he will accomplish it, too, because Congress won't have to approve federal money for it and because he builds things.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:37 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes and I think he will accomplish it, too, because Congress won't have to approve federal money for it and because he builds things.
Which side of the Rio Grande do you suggest he put it?
Don't be shy, Laura, commit to your beliefs. Mexican side? American side? right down the middle of the whole 1700 miles of river?

https://www.utexas.edu/courses/h2o/encyclop.htm
"The Rio Grande, the fifth longest river of North America and the 20th longest in the world, forms the entire border between the U.S. state of Texas and Mexico"

Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
It's not only so-called migrants looking for work that are getting thru our southern border but criminals, drug runner and would-be terrorists also. The latter three groups aren't looking for work so we need the 700 mile wall on the most porous areas that was already approved by congress. How can anyone measure the dollars it would save us in the long run? Basing it on what these job stealing, tax stealing migrants cost us along with what these criminals and terrorists are costing us I'd say the wall is a bargain. Would it end all of the problems above completely? No, but it would put a huge dent in them.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
People would just overstay their visas like they do now.
The wall will never get built as all the land along the Mexican border is on the Rio Grande, a vital source of life for the Texas agricultural economy. Are we gonna put the Wall on the American side of the Rio Grande, giving Mexico the river? I think not. Or are we going to put the wall on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande and take the entire river away from Mexico? Thay won't like that at all, I assure you.
Also all the land along the border is privately owned. Trumps wall will be so wrapped up in thousands of lawsuits that nothing will ever get done and he's in the clear with an excuse.

You would think that 5 minutes of rational thought and a National Geographic map would show the average middle school student why Trump's wall is a pure pipe dream.
I'm amazed at the gullible nature of Trump supporters and their narrow, short sighted understanding of reality.
They over stay because there is no real penalty for it. Put some teeth in the penalty for hiring illegals. Put some teeth in being caught here illegally.
We can wall off parts of the border and we can also do something most countries do. Use our military to help secure our border.
The really important thing is to make coming here illegally or over staying a VISA not worth the consequences.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
I do believe Trump would get a wall built.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" How do we pay for that? The only real possible solution is a relatively significant increase in taxation or gutting of everything else in the budget"

The ONLY way to pay for it?

Here is where conservatives and liberals differ.

To the liberal the "only way" to pay for ANYTHING is to raise taxes.

Conservatives see it another way.

The gov't is wrought with waste fraud and abuse. Cleaning up just 1 program would probaly pay the entire cost.

The gov't is filled with useless programs. There are about 57 DIFFERENT job training programs administered by different Agencies. Another place to regain the money.

Have you ever read ANY of Tom Coburn's annual books on wasteful gov't programs? I doubt it.
That last insult was hilarious to me. "Have you read the type of things I like to read? No? Must be ****ing stupid."

Don't worry big guy, you are just as smart as you think you are.

Ok, so how much does the wall cost and is it worth the cost? And what program would you cut and how much money would it get.

I can tell you're a Trump supporters. Lots of talk; plenty of childish banter, but nothing of any substance. Show me something. Don't just talk about how you can show it. That's meaningless and I'm smart enough to know that.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM

57,265 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I think we all know that an Eisenhower approach wouldn't work today. The Dems are solidly behind pandering to illegals especially those from south of the border. Hell the Dems are against making E-Verify mandatory. The Dems want to grant illegals drivers licenses, work permits and a path to citizenship.
I agree with the steps mentioned. I also agree that a nation wide crack down would induce self deportations.
You use the phrase "the Dems" way too much, avoiding addressing immigration has been bipartisan although for different reasons.

Those were reasonable steps, something we can agree on

Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 PM

57,265 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe you could share the details of Trumps plan since you believe in the tooth fairy.

I don't expect an answer anytime soon, funny how people like you who strongly believe in this don't even have a remote idea how it could happen, keep believing.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
I'm amazed that one thinks that we would build a wall along our entire southern border. I think even Trump knows better than that but congress already approved 700 miles of it along the most porous areas of our border so there must be a way of doing it without all the excuses about land rights and law suits. Those who oppose that wall I am pretty sure have a vested interest in illegal immigration and mostly because of ethnic ties. They fool no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies