Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Legalizing them or giving them a path to citizenship would allow them to retain American jobs permanently.
Um, if they are citizens, then the jobs they retain would be American jobs, seeing as they would then be Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Yep, and I suspect only a small portion would ever be built. But the cost savings from a revamped immigration policy that would follow would make up for the costs in the long run.
I think that depends a great deal on what the plan would look like. I can't see anything except disaster with a plan that involves the deportation of illegals who are working and have been in the US for several years...one thing not mentioned is, what would happen with the kids who were born in the US, they aren't Mexican citizens and I bet Mexico would refuse them just to thumb their nose at us.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why wouldn't they leave if they can no longer work here or tap into our welfare coffers? How would they survive?
Welfare is one thing that we can take care of in short order, but the market for identity theft and false identities is already booming because the illegals want them. Why leave if the system thinks you're legit? Truth is, they will continue to get work. Employers -- the real culprits -- will find ways around any system you put in place.

Quote:
I thought they were here for a better life?
Compared to the ****hole they came from, being hungry broke and miserable in America is an upgrade from where they came from: Latin America, China, Eastern Europe, Africa, etc.

Quote:
There is nothing cruel or inhumane about deporting them once they are discovered. I am not talking about rounding them all up.
What is the strategy for getting them to self-deport?
  1. Make it as hard as possible for them to get a job. "Sorry but you can't have a job and pay for yourself and your family because you're an illegal."
  2. Make it as hard as possible for them to buy a house or rent an apartment. "You can't have a roof over the heads of you and your children because your illegal."
  3. Cut them off from welfare. (Impossible to really do this with birthright citizen children in place BTW.) "Sorry you can't get the help that everybody else gets. You can't have food and other help for you and your family because you're an illegal.
  4. Impose greater punishments on employers who they work for. "Sorry Jose, I've gotta let you go. I know you're my best worker, but I can't risk the federal fines."
Mean spirited? Cruel? Absolutely yes! Does that mean I'm against the idea? Actually, no. I'm of the opinion that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. A little over a year ago, we had a family living in our unfinished basement because they were friends, I felt sorry for them and they had nowhere to go. They agreed to pay rent and all of the rent would go towards finishing the basement so they could eventually rent a nice apartment from us. They just never paid. We repeatedly told them they had to leave, but they didn't. Then I lost my job. Then I found out that I didn't have the legal right to kick them out of the house. So I banned them from coming upstairs where there was running water, a kitchen and a finished bathroom. I started court proceedings to get them out. It took another month, but after half a year they left pretty quick after that. In retrospect, I was doing them no favors. He had a good job, he just spent money like a complete idiot. Like I said, sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.

What I'm actually saying is that because it's mean, many American won't like it. Americans will step in and help them illegally because they're seeing a persecuted minority. They will view themselves as benevolent saviors much like the family that hid Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis. Truth be told, it's a very American way of thinking and acting. We tend to stick up for the little guy. It's just how we are. They did break the law and by rights they should leave. Trouble is, it'll be very hard to actually make that happen.

Quote:
Just enforce the laws on the books instead of doing what Obama has by giving them stays of deportation along with work permits. Legalizing them or giving them a path to citizenship would allow them to retain American jobs permanently. Making illegal aliens legal should never be an option.
There are plenty of Americans who are lazy-asses. At least these folks are willing to roll up their sleeves and work for a living. (Except the welfare leeches and I've got no sympathy for those people!) I know several people through my church who might be here illegally. (As far as I can tell, they're legit on work permit visas, but I have my suspicions.) Truth is, most of them work harder than the average American. They're actually amazed by how lazy their American coworkers are.

My opinion? Quotas and xenophobia be damned, if you come here and work hard, welcome to America! Those are the sorts of legal immigrants we actually need.

Sure, punish them from breaking the law. Make it sting. But if they have no hope of eventual legal status thereafter, they're just going to opt out and keep on hiding.

At risk of sounding religiously bigoted, I'd point out one other thing: Most of these folks are coming from Latin America, which is more enthusiastically Christian than any other region on earth. At least it's not like Europe who is currently importing the Islamic Jihad.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
what would happen with the kids who were born in the US, they aren't Mexican citizens and I bet Mexico would refuse them just to thumb their nose at us.
Nobody under age 18 is a Mexican citizen anyway, but they would all be considered Mexican nationals by birth by Mexico (making them eligible for citizenship at 18). Mexico does not strip nationality by birth except under some very narrow circumstances that would not apply.
What Mexico could do, though, is require proof of nationality to enter Mexico, which those kids might not have if they cannot get copies of their US birth certificates.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Forget a wall. Obama is cutting border budget by 50%....so much for protecting our borders.
I googled the " Obama is cutting border budget by 50%" and there is no such creature. After 2 seconds of thought, I realized that Obama has absolutely no control of Finances. It's the House of Representatives who control and set spending levels.
So give us all a link to your source for this 50% border budget cut so we can have a good laugh. I like those kind of news sources that spout such nonsense. They provide lots of belly laughs.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:43 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I googled the " Obama is cutting border budget by 50%" and there is no such creature. After 2 seconds of thought, I realized that Obama has absolutely no control of Finances. It's the House of Representatives who control and set spending levels.
So give us all a link to your source for this 50% border budget cut so we can have a good laugh. I like those kind of news sources that spout such nonsense. They provide lots of belly laughs.
He can't provide a source for it because it's not true:

That's up from 61,125,061 in 2015

Secure and Manage Our Borders Overview: along the border, maintaining all statutory personnel floors, while supporting the 2,000 additional U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers first funded in FY 2014. The Budget retains critical border patrol, watch-list, and targeting technology that enhance the capabilities of frontline officers and agents, and investments in Coast Guard recapitalization. Funding is included for securing and managing our borders in the following key areas:
• Salaries, benefits, and operating costs for 21,370 Border Patrol agents and 23,871 CBP
officers.
• Resources to complete the hiring and training of up to 2,000 new CBP officers, to achieve a total end-strength of 23,871 CBP officers. This effort, which commenced in FY 2014, is already yielding faster processing and inspection of passengers and cargo at U.S. ports of entry, as well as more seizures of illegal items, such as drugs, guns, and counterfeit goods.
• Resources for Coast Guard port security screening to secure key transportation nodes through security/background checks to ensure unauthorized and illicit individuals do not gain access to, or disrupt, key transportation and commerce nodes. All crew, passengers, and cargo of vessels over 300 tons are screened prior to arrival in U.S. waters, to mitigate potential risks to our borders.
• $373.5 million to maintain the necessary infrastructure and technology along the Nation’s borders to ensure law enforcement personnel are supported with effective surveillance technology to improve their ability to detect and interdict illegal activity in a safer environment.
• Provides funds for the costs associated with apprehension and care of up to 104,000 unaccompanied children. A portion of these funds will be used to prepare facilities for families and unaccompanied children in the event of a surge that exceeds prior year apprehension levels. The request proposes up to $162 million in contingency obligation authority—enabling CBP and ICE to respond effectively in the event migration volume
significantly surpasses prior-year levels.
• Support for Coast Guard recapitalization to include $340 million for production of six Fast Response Cutters; $102 million to convert Air National Guard C-27J aircraft for Coast Guard use; $91.4 million for National Security Cutter structural enhancement and postdelivery
activities; and $18.5 million to complete preliminary design evaluation of the Offshore Patrol Cutter.
• $85.3 million for the Non-Intrusive Inspection (NII) Equipment Refresh and Recapitalization program.
• $89.9 million for Coast Guard operations and maintenance funds to support the delivery of new and more capable assets, including $17.2 million in operations and maintenance

Last edited by 2sleepy; 02-02-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Um, if they are citizens, then the jobs they retain would be American jobs, seeing as they would then be Americans.

Let me make this clearer for you then. If they hadn't been here in the first place illegally and taking jobs from Americans this would not have been an issue in the first place. Rewarding them by legalizing them or worse yet granting them our citizenship would therefore allow them to retain the jobs they stole in the first place and that is what my point was. That is why I don't want it to happen. The Americans who had those jobs in the first place need them.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:23 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Welfare is one thing that we can take care of in short order, but the market for identity theft and false identities is already booming because the illegals want them. Why leave if the system thinks you're legit? Truth is, they will continue to get work. Employers -- the real culprits -- will find ways around any system you put in place.

Compared to the ****hole they came from, being hungry broke and miserable in America is an upgrade from where they came from: Latin America, China, Eastern Europe, Africa, etc.

What is the strategy for getting them to self-deport?
  1. Make it as hard as possible for them to get a job. "Sorry but you can't have a job and pay for yourself and your family because you're an illegal."
  2. Make it as hard as possible for them to buy a house or rent an apartment. "You can't have a roof over the heads of you and your children because your illegal."
  3. Cut them off from welfare. (Impossible to really do this with birthright citizen children in place BTW.) "Sorry you can't get the help that everybody else gets. You can't have food and other help for you and your family because you're an illegal.
  4. Impose greater punishments on employers who they work for. "Sorry Jose, I've gotta let you go. I know you're my best worker, but I can't risk the federal fines."
Mean spirited? Cruel? Absolutely yes! Does that mean I'm against the idea? Actually, no. I'm of the opinion that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. A little over a year ago, we had a family living in our unfinished basement because they were friends, I felt sorry for them and they had nowhere to go. They agreed to pay rent and all of the rent would go towards finishing the basement so they could eventually rent a nice apartment from us. They just never paid. We repeatedly told them they had to leave, but they didn't. Then I lost my job. Then I found out that I didn't have the legal right to kick them out of the house. So I banned them from coming upstairs where there was running water, a kitchen and a finished bathroom. I started court proceedings to get them out. It took another month, but after half a year they left pretty quick after that. In retrospect, I was doing them no favors. He had a good job, he just spent money like a complete idiot. Like I said, sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.

What I'm actually saying is that because it's mean, many American won't like it. Americans will step in and help them illegally because they're seeing a persecuted minority. They will view themselves as benevolent saviors much like the family that hid Anne Frank and her family from the Nazis. Truth be told, it's a very American way of thinking and acting. We tend to stick up for the little guy. It's just how we are. They did break the law and by rights they should leave. Trouble is, it'll be very hard to actually make that happen.

There are plenty of Americans who are lazy-asses. At least these folks are willing to roll up their sleeves and work for a living. (Except the welfare leeches and I've got no sympathy for those people!) I know several people through my church who might be here illegally. (As far as I can tell, they're legit on work permit visas, but I have my suspicions.) Truth is, most of them work harder than the average American. They're actually amazed by how lazy their American coworkers are.

My opinion? Quotas and xenophobia be damned, if you come here and work hard, welcome to America! Those are the sorts of legal immigrants we actually need.

Sure, punish them from breaking the law. Make it sting. But if they have no hope of eventual legal status thereafter, they're just going to opt out and keep on hiding.

At risk of sounding religiously bigoted, I'd point out one other thing: Most of these folks are coming from Latin America, which is more enthusiastically Christian than any other region on earth. At least it's not like Europe who is currently importing the Islamic Jihad.

Your defeatist attitude about this issue, your defense of illegal aliens while demonizing our own workers tells me all I need to know about you. You'd be surprised at the number of Americans who wouldn't blink an eye and in fact cheer their deportations rather than help them or think it was mean to do so but do live in your dream world. Bye, have a nice life. The rest of us will take care of business and return this country to the rule of law.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Forget a wall. Obama is cutting border budget by 50%....so much for protecting our borders.
^ ^ ^

Blatant lie.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:29 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
The best way to build a building 1,900 miles high, is on its side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies