Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I tip even if I get bad service.. they could be having a bad day, or exhausted or new at the job.
Good for you. So many forget that waitstaff are real people with real lives, and not just automated robots programmed to wait hand and foot on every person that deems to grace a given restaurant with their presence.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Technically (according to a fundamentalist Christian viewpoint), by going to a restaurant, they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments (I forget which one). "Keeping the Sabbath holy". They are spending money and expecting others to break the Sabbath by laboring.

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, a churchgoer, or even religious, but I do have acquaintances/relatives who won't even go to a grocery store or pump gas on the Sabbath (Saturday or Sunday, whichever you prefer).
No. Jews are directed by the old testament to not work on the Sabbath . They are still under the law. Christians are under the new testament , a new covenant . Jesus said if a sheep falls into a pit would you not get it out on the Sabbath ? Many of the religious leaders of Jesus's day were appalled that anyone would do anything on the Sabbath.

Matthew 12:10

Jesus Heals on the Sabbath
10And a man was there whose hand was withered. And they questioned Jesus, asking, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"-- so that they might accuse Him. 11And He said to them, "What man is there among you who has a sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? 12"How much more valuable then is a man than a sheep! So then, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."…
Cross References
Matthew 12:1
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.
Mark 2:27

King James Bible
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Wow, what a bigoted pack of slobs.....

Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Yep, doing exactly what Jesus would do....

And people wonder why I don;t go to church any more.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:05 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,492,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
No. Jews are directed by the old testament to not work on the Sabbath . They are still under the law. Christians are under the new testament , a new covenant . Jesus said if a sheep falls into a pit would you not get it out on the Sabbath ? Many of the religious leaders of Jesus's day were appalled that anyone would do anything on the Sabbath.

Matthew 12:10

Jesus Heals on the Sabbath
10And a man was there whose hand was withered. And they questioned Jesus, asking, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"-- so that they might accuse Him. 11And He said to them, "What man is there among you who has a sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? 12"How much more valuable then is a man than a sheep! So then, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."…
Cross References
Matthew 12:1
At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them.
Mark 2:27

King James Bible
And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but my paternal grandparents were devout Baptists. As a child of 5 or 6, I remember sitting outside one Sunday, in the shade of my grandfather's workshop. I was playing with some of his tools, nailing scrap pieces of wood together. I distinctly remember my grandmother telling me that Satan was laughing at me for working on Sunday.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I waitressed in high school and a couple summers in college. Hated the Sunday morning church crowd. They were the pickiest, most demanding, and cheapest tippers.
Hear, hear. Truer words have never been spoken. I waitresses in college, and I absolutely hated working Sunday morning.

The drunks in the wee hours after the bars closed were hit or miss. Sometimes the over-tipped by large margin and other time they forgot completely, so I never knew how I'd do if I did an over-nighter.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
I actually read the article and found this correction at the bottom:

Quote:
An earlier version of this story was accompanied by a photo of a pamphlet that looked like a $20 bill. The pamphlet left behind in this case DID NOT look like money. And the customer left a small monetary tip with the pamphlet.
It's essentially a made up story and rather than correct it, the blog put a blurb at the bottom. Presumably hoping no one actually read it. The customer tipped about 8%, not enough imo, but they left a small tip with a track that looked nothing like money, so this "story" is a non-story.

Btw- we are Evangelical Christians and always tip well, even on takeout.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I actually read the article and found this correction at the bottom:

It's essentially a made up story and rather than correct it, the blog put a blurb at the bottom. Presumably hoping no one actually read it. The customer tipped about 8%, not enough imo, but they left a small tip with a track that looked nothing like money, so this "story" is a non-story.

Btw- we are Evangelical Christians and always tip well, even on takeout.
They are out there and they are often used:

http://static4.techinsider.io/image/...32.13%20pm.png

Old 01-26-2016, 07:46 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yep, doing exactly what Jesus would do....

And people wonder why I don;t go to church any more.
There is a park I like to play Frisbee golf at that is known for gay hook-ups and there are occasionally condoms by some of the picnic tables. Pretty disgusting, but it hasn't changed my support for gay rights or how I treat\interact with gays. That would be small-minded and unfair.

You go do whatever makes you happy but all these pathetic attacks because some religious person left a pamphlet behind is sad.

Maybe we bump one of the old threads about blacks tipping so some of you can chime in about how once this black guy left you a tiny tip as well?

Sorry guys, this isn't a "safe space" for acceptable bigotry.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:47 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is a park I like to play Frisbee golf at that is known for gay hook-ups and there are occasionally condoms by some of the picnic tables. Pretty disgusting, but it hasn't changed my support for gay rights or how I treat\interact with gays. That would be small-minded and unfair.

You go do whatever makes you happy but all these pathetic attacks because some religious person left a pamphlet behind is sad.

Maybe we bump one of the old threads about blacks tipping so some of you can chime in about how once this black guy left you a tiny tip as well?

Sorry guys, this isn't a "safe space" for acceptable bigotry.
Do the math. How many bills can you pay with these:
http://static4.techinsider.io/image/...32.13%20pm.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies