Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times

Advertisements

Waiters in Kansas and North Carolina have reported what looks like $20 tips that turned out to be folded religious tracts. A religious pamphlet is not a tip and shouldn't be used as a tip or to top up a low tip.
Someone is printing and selling them -and someone is buying. When a local pastor was tracked down (his church info on the tract), he claimed ignorance, blamed a certain member of his congregation, and said

"that his church doesn’t condone these tracts (which makes you wonder why its name appears on them):"

"I have shared with the congregation that a 20 percent tip is fair compensation for the hard work that servers provide… To reiterate, we have never used tracts that looked like money; we feel that that is offensive and cruel and would never fool a server with fake money. The gospel is real and does not need trickery to be communicated."

Reminds me of the Chick tracts that mysteriously appear on library and restaurant tables and on public transit seats by stealth evangelicals.

Restaurant Manager Sends Note to Local Pastor After Waiter Gets a Jesus Pamphlet Instead of a Tip

Old 01-25-2016, 08:23 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Cheap SOBs. Waitresses, at least here, get 1/2 minimum wage, and it's hard work putting up with customers.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:55 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Who decided a 20% tip is required?

What happened to 10%?

Here's a tip. Waitressing is not a career. It is a min wage, low skill job until you get trained to do something beyond putting plates on a table.

I will actually tip good for great service - but what irks me is this trend of splitting tips. So my waitress who busts her butt, has to give my money to the lousy server on the next station.

Who tips the cook? When I was a cook nobody tipped me - and I made far LESS than the waitresses.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

What happened to 10%?

Here's a tip. Waitressing is not a career. It is a min wage, low skill job until you get trained to do something beyond putting plates on a table.

I will actually tip good for great service - but what irks me is this trend of splitting tips. So my waitress who busts her butt, has to give my money to the lousy server on the next station.

Who tips the cook? When I was a cook nobody tipped me - and I made far LESS than the waitresses.
I waited tables when I was in college - for 3 years.

Cooks get paid no matter how slow or busy the restaurant is.

The wait staff relies on a busy shift to make their money in tips. Slow shift? Lousy take-home. Slow shift for a cook? Same take-home if it were busy.

I have never worked in a restaurant where the wait staff "shares tips" although I have heard of the practice and have also seen it on a few "take my restaurant over" shows. It is usually one of the top 2 complaints the wait staff has. Why should Super Service Waitress share her tips with lazy Suzy who is always on break/gives her customers terrible service?

A waiter or waitress typically "tips out" only the bartender and the bus boys (or girls). And trust me, the wait staff keeps track of how many bottles of wine they had to get/open/pour - (along with beers on tap or bottled) for their own customers as well as anything else they get from the bar on their own - such as OJ/Cranberry/Tonic/Seltzer vs. mixed drinks the bartenders make….and also keep track of how many tables they had to bus themselves BEFORE the tipping out happens.

Last edited by Informed Info; 01-25-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 09:35 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

What happened to 10%?

Waitressing is absolutely a career and so is being a chef. If you work in an upscale restaurant you can easily make 3 figures if you are good at what you do. Splitting tips may be the policy of that particular restaurant. But it's certainly not the norm. I don't know any waitresses who split their tips with other waitresses.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
I waitressed in high school and a couple summers in college. Hated the Sunday morning church crowd. They were the pickiest, most demanding, and cheapest tippers.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:35 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I waitressed in high school and a couple summers in college. Hated the Sunday morning church crowd. They were the pickiest, most demanding, and cheapest tippers.

Technically (according to a fundamentalist Christian viewpoint), by going to a restaurant, they are breaking one of the Ten Commandments (I forget which one). "Keeping the Sabbath holy". They are spending money and expecting others to break the Sabbath by laboring.

I'm not a fundamentalist Christian, a churchgoer, or even religious, but I do have acquaintances/relatives who won't even go to a grocery store or pump gas on the Sabbath (Saturday or Sunday, whichever you prefer).

Old 01-26-2016, 05:43 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I think she should take it to church with her and put it into the collection plate. If it is such a generous offering, the church will be glad to find it amongst the donations.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think she should take it to church with her and put it into the collection plate. If it is such a generous offering, the church will be glad to find it amongst the donations.
Good point.

I really wish our country would get rid of the insulting "tipped minimum wage" and do away with tipping culture in general. It has roots in racism and is the byproduct of an era in American history we should already have moved past.

And yes, waiting is absolutely a career for many people, like it or not.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:48 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I waited tables when I was in college - for 3 years.

Cooks get paid no matter how slow or busy the restaurant is.

The wait staff relies on a busy shift to make their money in tips. Slow shift? Lousy take-home. Slow shift for a cook? Same take-home if it were busy.

I have never worked in a restaurant where the wait staff "shares tips" although I have heard of the practice and have also seen it on a few "take my restaurant over" shows. It is usually one of the top 2 complaints the wait staff has. Why should Super Service Waitress share her tips with lazy Suzy who is always on break/gives her customers terrible service?

A waiter or waitress typically "tips out" only the bartender and the bus boys (or girls). And trust me, the wait staff keeps track of how many bottles of wine they had to get/open/pour - (along with beers on tap or bottled) for their own customers as well as anything else they get from the bar on their own - such as OJ/Cranberry/Tonic/Seltzer vs. mixed drinks the bartenders make….and also keep track of how many tables they had to bus themselves BEFORE the tipping out happens.

I tip even if I get bad service.. they could be having a bad day, or exhausted or new at the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies