Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
And falls and drink drives have killed many many more again your point?
We actually did something about DWI's, drunk driving and gun violence is taken very seriously in other countries, not so much here. But we did change driving regulations and deaths due to alcohol were cut in half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgardian View Post
If you were really concerned about gun violence you would propose solutions for keeping blacks from joining gangs instead of trying to take firearms away from law abiding citizens.
Well that sounds like a reasonable solution

Beyond even regulations the entire culture needs to change. Gun owners that think it is a good idea to teach a schizophrenic child how to use guns or take someone with PTSD to the shooting range need to change.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
And people still claim we don't have a problem with guns in America!

U.S. Shootings Since 1963 Have Killed More Americans Than All Wars Ever

How many of those gun deaths are suicides, criminal shooting deaths or shooting deaths caused by cops? Ater those numbers, all the rest would be caused by lawful citizen shootings.

also, with adding abortion in with the numbers, how many abortions have happened since that time?

after all, the liberal saying, "if we can just save 1 childs life" then why not ban it.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:25 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
"In 2011, in incidents of murder for which the relationships of murder victims and offenders were known, 54.3 percent were killed by someone they knew (acquaintance, neighbor, friend, boyfriend, etc.); 24.8 percent of victims were slain by family members. The relationship of murder victims and offenders was unknown in 44.1 percent of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter incidents in 2011. (Based on Expanded Homicide Data Table 10.)"

In essence, you stand a far greater change to be murdered by your family members and friends than gun nuts that you don't even know.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...-homicide-data
Incorrect. If they are using the same study I read they use ANY person you had contact with, even passively, or relations through another person whom you may not have met in person are listed under "acquaintance".

I work in a place that employs over 1,000+ people. If any one of them killed me, whether I knew them or now, it would be listed as a person I know.

You are more likely to be killed by a black male in a gang while in an urban area and having gang ties yourself. After that it's something like a 900x reduction (no, not kidding) in your chance to get shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I feel so much better after reading that, 30,000 killed in by guns in the US are really not an issue.

Maybe we can now focus on car accidents, accidental deaths and deaths from old age and forget about gun violence.

Because when 20,000 kill themselves as a mental health issue and you try to shoe horn it into a political issue we stop paying attention. When you skip the massively skewed numbers that show complete net-benefit while pushing an agenda we know that you are disingenuous.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:50 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
I feel so much better after reading that, 30,000 killed in by guns in the US are really not an issue.

Maybe we can now focus on car accidents, accidental deaths and deaths from old age and forget about gun violence.
I never said we shouldn't try to do better. Ideally, we would see no deaths -- by gun or by any other violent means -- ever. I never said we can't work towards that. It may not be realistic to end all the murders and violent crimes in the world, but we can and should try anyways.

I'm saying that the premise of OP and the article they're citing is pretty ridiculous. Deaths of all sorts during peacetime are virtually always vastly larger than wartime deaths. And the USA has gotten increasingly good at maximizing military effectiveness while taking very few casualties. In WW2, an average of 100K Americans died per year in the war. In Korea, 22K Americans died per year. In Vietnam, 2,900 Americans died per year. The combined Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts have averaged 433 American deaths per year. While war is certainly no picnic, it's not as dangerous to be an American soldier as you might think. The underlying premise is, "Wars represent a huge amount of deaths in American history." Compared to peacetime and non-war deaths, wars are actually a pretty tiny contributor to overall American deaths.

But since you brought it up, can you give me a breakdown of 30,000 gun deaths? What year is that? What's your source? How many are acts of self defense? Suicides? Homicides? How many homicides were committed by legal gun owners and how many of them were illegal?

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 01-29-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 10:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Ban Blacks from owning any kind of gun and those rates would be cut by 70%.

Yeah it's as stupid as the premise of this thread even if the statistics support the above statement.

As usual dumbass liberal gungrabbers picking the easy fruit versus dealing with the disease.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Are you a moron?

Both NY and Cali have lower rates than Texas...
My apologies. When looking on my tablet, the colors looked different than on my computer.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ban Blacks from owning any kind of gun and those rates would be cut by 70%.

Yeah it's as stupid as the premise of this thread even if the statistics support the above statement.

As usual dumbass liberal gungrabbers picking the easy fruit versus dealing with the disease.
I agree with everything but the bolded part. How many guns currently owned by black and Hispanic gangsters were obtained legally? Drug money is the blood that keeps gangs and organized crime alive and thriving in America. You already have a huge network of illegal operatives to launder money, to smuggle the drugs, to do all sorts of other things. What are the odds of keeping you from buying a gun illegally? What stops that same gun black market from selling to everyone else in that part of town?

Banning just blacks from owning guns would be a civil rights violation and can't happen anyways, but even if it was possible it wouldn't really change anything.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I never said we shouldn't try to do better. Ideally, we would see no deaths -- by gun or by any other violent means -- ever. I never said we can't work towards that. It may not be realistic to end all the murders and violent crimes in the world, but we can and should try anyways.

I'm saying that the premise of OP and the article they're citing is pretty ridiculous. Deaths of all sorts during peacetime are virtually always vastly larger than wartime deaths. And the USA has gotten increasingly good at maximizing military effectiveness while taking very few casualties. In WW2, an average of 100K Americans died per year in the war. In Korea, 22K Americans died per year. In Vietnam, 2,900 Americans died per year. The combined Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts have averaged 433 American deaths per year. While war is certainly no picnic, it's not as dangerous to be an American soldier as you might think. The underlying premise is, "Wars represent a huge amount of deaths in American history." Compared to peacetime and non-war deaths, wars are actually a pretty tiny contributor to overall American deaths.

But since you brought it up, can you give me a breakdown of 30,000 gun deaths? What year is that? What's your source? How many are acts of self defense? Suicides? Homicides? How many homicides were committed by legal gun owners and how many of them were illegal?
There are nearly 6 times more suicide deaths than homicide deaths.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
We actually did something about DWI's, drunk driving and gun violence is taken very seriously in other countries, not so much here. But we did change driving regulations and deaths due to alcohol were cut in half.
What did we do about DWI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies