Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times

Advertisements

I read this and my mouth dropped to the floor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An animated film designed as a lesson in “racial discourse” for students at a Virginia high school has led to backlash from community members who’ve taken issue with not-so subtle references to so-called white privilege throughout the video.

'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community | Fox News

Old 02-09-2016, 07:25 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I read this and my mouth dropped to the floor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An animated film designed as a lesson in “racial discourse” for students at a Virginia high school has led to backlash from community members who’ve taken issue with not-so subtle references to so-called white privilege throughout the video.

'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community | Fox News
Thanks for sharing. It certainly did a good job of educating. White Privilege is not something to be ashamed of. It is something to be recognized. It is a form of white privilege to dismiss the roadblocks others had put in front of them. As in, "only, MY (white) opinion matters - you don't." Again, thanks.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:29 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Fantastic video. Ofcourse horrible situation with the families getting their feelings hurt over the content of truth. Grow up people.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:36 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Funny how other non-white races have no problem and have succeeded even though they've had roadblocks over the years.

One can never go forward, if they keep on looking backwards.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:37 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
It was an adequate portrayal of what white privilege is and of American history IMO.

I know that some white people in this country like to ignore the facts of American history and get upset and mad when history is brought up in relation to the present socio-economic conditions of various demographics today, but sorry, they are a factor. The school knew there would be "discussion" and said they welcomed input from the community.

But honestly, it was a valid reflection of how black people were denied opportunities in America. The only differences I would have added was the fact that black people never sat down behind a wall and gave up. We kept and keep dodging and are still running the race.

I could tell a liberal made the cartoon, but the majority of the first minutes of the video were an accurate portrayal of American history.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Yeah, well it should irk them.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 PM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
if profiling whole groups of peoples and perpetuating hate is your thing.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Funny how other non-white races have no problem and have succeeded even though they've had roadblocks over the years.

One can never go forward, if they keep on looking backwards.
You don't know much about modern history it seems (past 30 years). The poverty rate for black people in 1960 was about 70%, it has been cut in half since then. Black students are closing the high school graduation gap with whites and now over 70% of all black students graduate high school whereas only 40% did 30 years ago. Black females have actually closed the gap with whites and graduate on a rate higher than that of hispanics as well. Black females are also more likely to enter and graduate high school versus other female demographics. In our country any person who obtains a higher education degree makes statistically will make more money than those who don't so as a result of increasing education, the economics of black families has and will continue to increase as well.

Contrary to what Fox News tells you, black people aren't all doom and gloom. We actually take great strength from "looking back" and the majority of us use history as a motivator to do better in our lives than what was available for grand parents and great grandparents.

I am a black women BTW, married to a black man, both high school and college grads and solidly middle class even though I was born to a single black teenage mother on welfare. I was one of 4 kids and all of my moms kids make $50K or above annually whereas in our area the median income is a little over $32k. We also all graduated high school and 2 of 4 have a bachelor's degree or higher and the other 2 have 2 years of college.

Black people today, for the most part, aren't the stereotypes that people think we are. Unfortunately, we by ourselves cannot change your minds and biases but, like I said above, the only thing wrong with that video is that they didn't have the black couple keep running. We always keep running and keep moving. I could tell a black person didn't make the clip.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
The only thing holding back minorities are their own inadequate characters and lack of education.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:56 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
So many teenagers watch disturbing and violent movies, play violent video games, engage in adult activities...yet this video is too much for them?

Give me a break already. These crybaby parents are the ones raising crybaby children, ready to shoot up a their college or job because they can't handle anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies