Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:43 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

"feminist men" I know my fair share that would die protecting a woman, child, friend or his country.

changing cultural stereotypes takes decades sometimes 100 years or more. you don't stop trying to instill equality for all in people because you have a few knuckle draggers. times have changed and women do have to know the best way to keep them safe. not all attacks will happen when a woman is accompanied by a quick thinking qualified man to protect her. you hear of stories now from our big US cities of women being raped as passerby's did nothing. people passed out hurt on the street and no one helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
I really hope that this is satire. The link shows a young woman holding a sign saying that she'd rather have rapists then racists. Please say this is fake. German feminist welcomes refugees: 'Better rapists than racists' - Red Alert Politics

It's also not just women and girls who have to be worried about rape. A 10 year old boy had been repeatedly raped in one of the asylum centers. When the migrants prevented workers from relocating him, the police were called. The police presence did nothing to diffuse the situation and the police became so fearful that they fled in fear for their lives. https://www.rt.com/news/330180-polic...fugees-sweden/

Old 01-30-2016, 09:19 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
No question that women are mainly responsible for making decisions in their own interests and that, in a wider context than that of this thread, that includes being financially independent. However, as you would probably agree, marrying the genius computer programmer to get out of the ghetto is no guarantee of anything, because that only puts them under the financial control of the genius computer programmer, who can also turn out to be a disaster (plus, not all women are attracted to this type). On the other hand, many a dumb beefcake has turned out to be a good husband and father.

But where is it written that a man can only fall into two categories -- genius or beefcake? Or that one must look like the Incredible Hulk to show some backbone? Do older men have to lose their cojones and become helpless because they can no longer match young men's physical abilities? (this is where firearms come in, though that's a topic for another discussion).

There is nothing inconsistent with being an educated, financially successful individual and being a MAN -- someone who is aware that life sometimes demands you act in your own defense or that of your loved ones. There is more to being a man than having an advanced degree and a high income; and having those does not excuse you from your moral obligations to protect your family and your community.

Edit: nothing I have said means that American women have to depend on men, only that they should be able to.
Regarding the part in bold, definitely.

Regarding the underlined section...and nothing about wearing a skirt or, heck, even playing Pokémon in your free time as a thirty year old adult and wearing a dress means you can't do that. It's the reliability that's important, and financial stability. That's what being a man means: people being able to rely on you, and actually, that's advantageous for women too...so I don't know why we're not just advocating that for both sexes and just letting culture go wherever it wants to go.

I'm not a feminist. The reason I'm not is because they seem to want to push society in a specific direction. I just want everybody to relax more.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
No question that women are mainly responsible for making decisions in their own interests and that, in a wider context than that of this thread, that includes being financially independent. However, as you would probably agree, marrying the genius computer programmer to get out of the ghetto is no guarantee of anything, because that only puts them under the financial control of the genius computer programmer, who can also turn out to be a disaster (plus, not all women are attracted to this type). On the other hand, many a dumb beefcake has turned out to be a good husband and father.

But where is it written that a man can only fall into two categories -- genius or beefcake? Or that one must look like the Incredible Hulk to show some backbone? Do older men have to lose their cojones and become helpless because they can no longer match young men's physical abilities? (this is where firearms come in, though that's a topic for another discussion).

There is nothing inconsistent with being an educated, financially successful individual and being a MAN -- someone who is aware that life sometimes demands you act in your own defense or that of your loved ones. There is more to being a man than having an advanced degree and a high income; and having those does not excuse you from your moral obligations to protect your family and your community.

Edit: nothing I have said means that American women have to depend on men, only that they should be able to.
I agree with all of that. I just don't see many skills that are useful for men that also wouldn't be useful for women. I expect to see, in the future, the behavior of the sexes becoming more similar with time. Most women will always be better at parenting. Most men will always be better at things that require aggression and definitely things that require strength.

It seems like 99% of the time the way to act in defense of loved ones is to be reliable and financially stable, not rich, just financially stable. The thing is, that's just about equally important for women.

What's left for men to do that women can't in most relationships? Generally men will be better at some things and women will be better at other things...but it seems, for the most part, encouraging one sex to be excel at certain traits and not the other is done just because it will make the parents feel better an help the kid fit in better. It seems like a fun thing for a leisure class to do, not a culture that values maximum gains from effort.

I think. Fighting skill is leisure activity/source of entertainment. It probably should be something rich people learn to do in their free time.

Standing up for yourself is more useful...but that doesn't seem like anything that requires a huge amount of training. I don't know why people think modern men lack the ability to stand up for themselves and those they care about. Heck, I don't even know why people see the Europeans in dresses as lacking the ability to stand up for themselves and those they care about. We don't know what those men in dresses are doing in their free time. Maybe they're roving neighborhoods with baseball bats, searching for women to protect.

I will say that men wearing dresses to protest rape is stupid. It's very, very stupid.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I'll agree with that.

Last edited by Clintone; 01-30-2016 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies