Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

People don't realize that the president has very little power by himself. I blame congress for 99% of the problems we face in this country. Their inability to get anything done is shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I hate how Obamacare makes the young and healthy pay more to subsidize the care of older individuals, many who are ill by their own choosing by a lifetime of poor diets, smoking, alcohol, no exercise, etc. This statement does not apply to everyone, but in more cases than not I believe it is true.
Obamacare goes against just about every other insurance industry. With car insurance, people with low credit and people with a bad driving record pay more than safer drivers. Makes sense.

My wife and I have an annual income of around $40,000. Not a lot for two people, but we manage okay. Because of our income, my wife has to pay full price for insurance ($300/month).

Meanwhile, a poor unhealthy person probably receives free insurance.

Before this Obamacare mess, my wife's insurance was less than $100 a month. Makes sense because my wife is young and rarely used the insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Buy health insurance of my choice.

I sure miss doing so and I also miss the lower rates.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:46 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You are correct. But most laws are put forth by congress. I can blame Obama for the freedoms taken away with his pen, and going around congress.
There is no going around congress, unless congress allows it. Which they do allow it a lot. So if one believes they have lost a freedom, they may want to take a closer look at congress and how hard congress has been willing to fight for them and the Constitution.

This Nation.com--What is an Executive Order?

Congressional Recourse

Quote:
In addition to congressional recourse, Executive Orders can be challenged in court, usually on the grounds that the Order deviates from "congressional intent" or exceeds the President's constitutional powers.
Congress avoids "least productive" title with late burst of activity | Pew Research Center
Quote:
With the 113th Congress now in the history books, we conducted a final tally of our nation’s legislative productivity — in terms of both total laws passed and of substance. Our calculation finds that the 113th just barely avoided the dubious title of “least productive Congress in modern history.”
As my daddy use to say, 'as the White House turns'. We live in a world of drama. Trump will fit right in.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
If you supported the patriot act under Bush then your point is moot...are you saying he should've kept it status quo or abolished it.
How is the fairness doctrine eroding freedoms shouldn't all sides be heard? Plus since he dodnt succeed no loss

Oh god forbid a child does community service but not mandated, not law just a suggestion no loss

School lunches again, not law no loss of freedom plus how is encouraging healthy eating a loss of freedom

I was pretty specfic what did he do, made a law that took away your freedom not a suggestion he came up with

That the Patriot Act was strongly supported under Bush is quite the assumption.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
People don't realize that the president has very little power by himself. I blame congress for 99% of the problems we face in this country. Their inability to get anything done is shameful.

Obamacare goes against just about every other insurance industry. With car insurance, people with low credit and people with a bad driving record pay more than safer drivers. Makes sense.

My wife and I have an annual income of around $40,000. Not a lot for two people, but we manage okay. Because of our income, my wife has to pay full price for insurance ($300/month).

Before this Obamacare mess, my wife's insurance was less than $100 a month. Makes sense because my wife is young and rarely used the insurance.
Quote:
You'd think so right?

Most uninsured Americans live in states that won’t run their own Obamacare exchanges | Pew Research Center

However, it doesn't matter how any one sells it, there is that bottom line of the law that states, 'every one' must have (purchase) health insurance. Use to there were only two things that one had to have happen. One pay taxes; the other to die. Now there is a third.

Why people look at their government and believe they will solve a problem, is beyond me, when history dictates the opposite happens.

btw: every time a right is lost, there is an out of pocket expense.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 01-28-2016 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: btw:

Old 01-28-2016, 11:09 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I didnt start the thread
Yet here you are, posting in it. I don't need to look at your post history to know the tone of your posts regarding the president. But you go ahead & continue to spin if that makes you feel better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Every senator except one, Feingold, voted against the Patriot Act. And because people were so paranoid & terrified of terrorism after 9/11, people certainly did support it.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM

Default People are being heard ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not an assumption:

Balancing Act: National Security and Civil Liberties in Post-9/11 Era | Pew Research Center

Quote:
A decade earlier, in the aftermath of 9/11 and before the passage of the Patriot Act, opinion was nearly the reverse (55% necessary, 35% not necessary).
Another good report on the subject:

Introduction | Pew Research Center

Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Look I'm a centrist but for the most part lean Democrat...however that has not stopped me from voting Republican in the past. But I keep on hearing how Obama is lawless and taking away our freedoms but Lets look logically. What were you allowed to do on Jan. 19 2009 (the day before Obama officially became president) that you are now longer allowed to do. and please no vague talking points or an idea he presented. Also if it wasn't a problem with his predecessors it cant be a problem with him
The answer to your question ~ from a review of this thread - is NONE.

The closest they can get is - my health insurance changed.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:23 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Under Obamacare we've exchange the right of Americans to have excellent medical care for mediocre non-healthcare in order to cover all the illegals the Democrats insist on flooding this country with so that they have a future voter base to pander to.

Oh, and the US government will FINE you if you don't buy into socialized Obamacare. That's just one example. Here's more–

Do you realize how many rights you have already lost? | Patch

Obama's foreign policy fails to stop global move away from freedom - Washington Times

Pop Quiz: How Many Constitutional Rights Have We Lost? Washington's Blog

What Freedoms Have we Lost Under Obama?
  • The health care mandate
  • New TSA procedures implemented
  • Obama claims power to assassinate American citizens
  • Violation of Email privacy without Warrant
  • Your driveway not your property
  • Privacy in personal e-mail

Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Look I'm a centrist but for the most part lean Democrat...however that has not stopped me from voting Republican in the past. But I keep on hearing how Obama is lawless and taking away our freedoms but Lets look logically. What were you allowed to do on Jan. 19 2009 (the day before Obama officially became president) that you are now longer allowed to do. and please no vague talking points or an idea he presented. Also if it wasn't a problem with his predecessors it cant be a problem with him
The easiest one is that I no longer have the right to chose if i want health care insurance, or want that health care insurance is.

For the rest of my life, as a function of US citizenship, I must buy whatever health care insurance the federal bureaucrats think I should buy. If I dare to buy what they don't like I'll be punished. If I dare to not buy any at all, I'll be punished.

In other ways, it's not that under Obama, the federal government is taking away my rights or freedoms, it's limiting what choices I can have, which choices I may select from, and dictating to me which choices are no longer available to me, under penalty of law.

To be fair, it's not just Obama doing this to us, it's the US Congress, and the newly created pseudo legislative branch, which falls under the executive branch, which cranks out thousands of new regulations each year. Every new law or regulation is too often just another chip out our freedoms, a dictate telling us what we must do, or can no longer do, or how much more of our hard earned money they determined we no longer need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies