Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:48 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Have you considered the idea that racial mixing does not produce less racial consciousness? If anything, I think it would increase it. The US is looking increasingly like Brazil. But if the US is a race-based society, then so is Brazil. In Brazil, you have whites, blacks, mestizos, mulattos, pardos, de facto segregation, etc.
I didn't argue that race doesn't exist. I questioned the agenda behind this topic.
Also how are mixed race people dealing with it? With interracial barriers legally removed, some people have 2-3 "races" in their ancestry, what are they? Apparently - just people...

And
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am friends with a lot of chain store managers. They have told me a lot of "stories". I don't know what they have told me is true or not, but I don't think they really have anything to gain by lying.

The point I was making is that no retailers want to be sued because this is a sue happy society. I can't blame them for staying out of trouble.

I also think you shouldn't put me on spot. I only shared something i heard, nothing more, less.
I find making implications disingenuous.

What I was going to ask you was to show some evidence that a particular group of people are more apt to sue. And I doubt that you can.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
For me, ethnic identity is first and foremost. What's best for Ukrainians is my top concern. I feel civic identity by itself is pretty weak and insubstantial. After my ethnic identity comes racial identity.
Funny you say that since I'm of Irish family. Tho IF stuff hit the fan; my "ethnicity" IS American. Period. I ain't really Irish in culture.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Civic identity is, as I said, fairly weak. To some extent, I do have that, too, for being American, but it is definitely subordinate to ethnic identity. It would be contrary to human nature to put civic identity ahead of ethnic identity (which arises when the two are in conflict, which is often not the case throughout the world). Ethnic loyalty is strong for the same reason family loyalty is: because of the shared blood.
Not so true in the US; especially here in the Southwest since pretty much ALL white people are known as "anglos" then tho most of have little or no English heritage so even a "Ukranian" is the same as a "Swede" as an Irishman and so on.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:20 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not so true in the US; especially here in the Southwest since pretty much ALL white people are known as "anglos" then tho most of have little or no English heritage so even a "Ukranian" is the same as a "Swede" as an Irishman and so on.
Not true. Most whites in your region are broadly of Anglo/Germanic descent.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:22 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
My cultural background and religion are my identities. Both affect virtually every aspect of my life.

I'm a first-generation American though and have no interest in adopting the ultraracial aspects of American culture.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:46 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I find making implications disingenuous.

What I was going to ask you was to show some evidence that a particular group of people are more apt to sue. And I doubt that you can.
i personally can't. No, I can't.

Like I said, just sharing something what I've heard. That is all.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:08 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,068 times
Listen everybody , be proud of your race and your genetic background. Far too much insecurity around regarding historical heritage. Then we have the media forcing down our throats a constant diet of misinformed themed images in ads etc. of a multicultural society that might just exist in name only.
We should , and maybe we will have to, recognize our differences and get along with that renewed and honest awareness in mind.
Folks, the PC agenda of before will inevitably be a relic of the past soon. This inorganic movement of sorts, has done nothing but increase the divide between the myriad groups that co inhabit our own country and much of the Western World. The efforts to force an ill begotten mode of thinking upon people coerced by the media , have now shown the whole PC movement to be out of touch with humanity and the world in general. We have sadly deluded ourselves into believing the laws of nature can be contorted in service to some fantastical notion everybody can get on, and we all know that is never the case.

PC = Party Central .............as in ever been at those parties where a circle of people will get together and the conversation will center around things like "why is world so messed up" or "why dont people just get along" or " we are children of the world" blah blah........and always the same types that engage in it ........usually some guys knowing these themes will get them closer to getting laid at the end of the night............all contrived and done for benefits . Just like politicians and that is how the world sadly works. A lot of empty contrived and trite nonsense talk and nothing but talk at the end of the day.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:23 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Listen everybody , be proud of your race and your genetic background. Far too much insecurity around regarding historical heritage. Then we have the media forcing down our throats a constant diet of misinformed themed images in ads etc. of a multicultural society that might just exist in name only.
We should , and maybe we will have to, recognize our differences and get along with that renewed and honest awareness in mind.
Folks, the PC agenda of before will inevitably be a relic of the past soon. This inorganic movement of sorts, has done nothing but increase the divide between the myriad groups that co inhabit our own country and much of the Western World. The efforts to force an ill begotten mode of thinking upon people coerced by the media , have now shown the whole PC movement to be out of touch with humanity and the world in general. We have sadly deluded ourselves into believing the laws of nature can be contorted in service to some fantastical notion everybody can get on, and we all know that is never the case.

PC = Party Central .............as in ever been at those parties where a circle of people will get together and the conversation will center around things like "why is world so messed up" or "why dont people just get along" or " we are children of the world" blah blah........and always the same types that engage in it ........usually some guys knowing these themes will get them closer to getting laid at the end of the night............all contrived and done for benefits . Just like politicians and that is how the world sadly works. A lot of empty contrived and trite nonsense talk and nothing but talk at the end of the day.
Please. I will be proud of what I believe is valuable, such as my culture and religion. Culture and religion affect virtually every aspect of life. So-called race/racial ideology is basically worthless and has nothing to do with culture.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 01-29-2016 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Not in the real world.

Racial identity is a significant backdrop that affects a lot of our interactions and shapes our identities. But usually, there are other factors in which we group people.

For example, on CD P&OC, I generally judge people by whether they are good posters or not. I'm aware of the race of said posters if they express it, but it has no effect on poster quality and hence, how I group you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies