Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

While doing some tax research I encountered a city that imposes a 1.75% tax on residential rentals to "multiple unrelated tenants" - rentals to a family or an individual are not subject to this tax.

I had never previously heard of any tax like this, and it rubs me the wrong way.

Do you support this sort of tax? Does it constitute "culture war"? Is it okay to impose higher taxes on singles or to landlords who rent to singles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:16 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Seems like a very local issue.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
This would vary by city. In Mesa AZ for example there is a 1.75% city tax if you lease to "multiple unrelated tenants" (typically non related students).

Note that the 1.75% tax is business tax - on retail and commercial leases, and on residential units if you own more than one rental unit. It does not apply though if you own just 1 rental unit - that is not considered a business - unless you rent it out to "multiple unrelated tenants" (ie: rotating multiple short term students through it). Then it is considered a business for tax purposes. The tax does not apply to "private single family residences" which "multiple unrelated tenants" are not.

http://mesaaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=12101

What To Do With Multiple Unrelated Tenants? - WILMOTH Group

A Condominium Declaration Can Prohibit Short-term Rentals to Unrelated Students | Condo Adviser

Last edited by katzpaw; 01-28-2016 at 10:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This would vary by city. In Mesa AZ for example there is a 1.75% city tax if you lease to "multiple unrelated tenants" (typically non related students).

Note that the 1.75% tax is business tax - on retail and commercial leases, and on residential units if you own more than one rental unit. It does not apply though if you own just 1 rental unit - that is not considered a business - unless you rent it out to "multiple unrelated tenants" (ie: rotating multiple short term students through it). Then it is considered a business for tax purposes. The tax does not apply to "private single family residences" which "multiple unrelated tenants" are not.

http://mesaaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=12101

What To Do With Multiple Unrelated Tenants? - WILMOTH Group

A Condominium Declaration Can Prohibit Short-term Rentals to Unrelated Students | Condo Adviser

So it applies if you own only one rental property and you rent it to "multiple unrelated tenants". Landlords are given the option of bundling the tax into the rent charged, or breaking out the tax as a separate charge.

I'm aware that landlords have varying policies on renting to multiple unrelated tenants, I've never before seen government treat them differently than they treat other monthly rentals.

To me that looks like a penalty for being poor, since landlords do pass the tax to their tenants, and often explicitly so. I once rented from a retired teacher who lived in the house until retirement; she kept the house as a rental with the primary purpose to allow her children to inherit it with a stepped-up tax basis. I have difficulty with the logic that if she rents the house to multiple unrelated tenants she's operating a business, but if she rents it to a family or an individual, she's not operating a business.

In this case it is a local issue but presumably there is nothing to stop other locals from doing the same thing and ultimately making it a commonplace.

Since the tax is often explicitly paid by tenants, do tenants have any recourse or action on the 14th Amendment ground of equal protection? (There isn't a law forum here, so this is the best place I could find.)

Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I believe these are illegal taxes that discriminate against specific parties but are not evenly applied to all.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do you support this sort of tax?
no

Quote:
Does it constitute "culture war"?
eh.. that's a little bit dramatic.

Quote:
Is it okay to impose higher taxes on singles or to landlords who rent to singles?
it is "okay", in the sense that it is legal, and generally tolerable. but the cohort we're talking about tends to be young and poor, and imposing 'special' taxes on a group of people that are disproportionately poor is not ethical IMO.

it sounds like a misguided attempt to keep a neighborhood or area free from college age people.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:53 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
While doing some tax research I encountered a city that imposes a 1.75% tax on residential rentals to "multiple unrelated tenants" - rentals to a family or an individual are not subject to this tax.

I had never previously heard of any tax like this, and it rubs me the wrong way.

Do you support this sort of tax? Does it constitute "culture war"? Is it okay to impose higher taxes on singles or to landlords who rent to singles?
Actually, not that long ago unrelated adults were not allowed to cohabit in part of northern Virginia.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Actually, not that long ago unrelated adults were not allowed to cohabit in part of northern Virginia.
So three single women could not rent a house together? Wow

Old 01-29-2016, 04:50 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
What is the controversy here? It sure isn't political.

You rent a place out to people unrelated to you, you pay taxes on the income. I fail to see politics or controversy here.

I see the day to day life of a landlord. Move this to the Rental forum.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
So three single women could not rent a house together? Wow

A century ago, unmarried women were expected to live with their parents and unmarried men were expected to live in crummy rooming or boarding houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies