Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 10:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I think" I suggest you quit trying to think what others think.

You are NOT doing a very good job at it.
I suggest you start trying to think. Maybe then you'll see the irony of your post.

American freedom of speech FTW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
I've seen quite a few elderly people in America lose most/all their homes and life savings
because they need assisted living and/or nursing care.
If the US can take care of people who need to live in an assisted environment
because they qualify for this assistance, should not it also be provided to those
who paid their taxes to make that possible ?

The American health care system just doesn't work anymore.
Most Republicans and Democrats want to keep the current system alive
that benefits no people, only corporations. Why are we allowing our society
to be enslaved by these corporations ? It has to stop.
This is not freedom. Paying for others to get free elderly care while not having
the right yourself which you paid for theirs is not freedom.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I've seen quite a few elderly people in America lose most/all their homes and life savings
because they qualify for this assistance, should not it also be provided to those

This is not freedom. Paying for others to get free elderly care while not having
I suggest you vote for Barrack Obama 8 years ago. He will change all that

Old 01-30-2016, 11:14 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post

So you want paint the financial well being of millions on "I've seen quite a few elderly people in America lose most/all their homes and life saving.

The area in the county where I live is probably 70 to 80% retied "elderly" and they do NOT match up with your "opinion".

" Paying for others to get free elderly care"

Out of ALL the elderly, how many fit your "description"?

Old 01-30-2016, 11:33 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannight View Post
In Germany it's really not uncommon that lower income people have a game license. Hunting is probably more common among less educated people, and those are normally not rich.

When I was studying forestry here one researcher at the university was a German immigrant. He was a forester in Germany for a while. The way he explained things to me, he was responsible for not just the trees but managing the wildlife in the forest he was managing as well. He had to either shoot the deer himself to keep the population in line with the management objectives, or have other hunters do so. The hunters were part of a club of sorts that paid for the right to hunt, and it wasn't cheap to join in to get in on the hunting. There weren't any low income people hunting where he was working. They were well off and educated people.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:47 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
here is one the US has that europe doesnt, for the most part, the right to a speedy trial. in europe you can be tossed into jail until such time as the judiciary decides to take your case. here in america, depending on jusridiction, there is a limited time in which to arraign someone or the charges get dropped automatically.
Which European country are we talking about, here? In Denmark, the police has a maximum of 24 hours from arrest to arraignment.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Try doing that in Germany or the UK.
Can't speak to that.

Quote:
And while Scandinavia is a bit better than much of Europe on hunting, I can see from a quick read ( http://www.face.eu/sites/default/files/denmark_en_2.pdf ) that there's still a lease system for the right to hunt in Denmark. And insurance requirements.
Obviously, insurance. Denmark has historically had to cultivate a lot of acreage, it's pretty densely populated and safety is extremely important. As is animal welfare - the insurance covers, for instance, dog teams on call who will track down an animal that has been hit but didn't drop on the spot.

Leasing is necessary - looking over some websites, it doesn't look prohibitive at all.

Quote:
Which will put it out of reach of people who could hunt in the U.S. Did your brother in law inherit some property or know someone with some property well?
Neither. He rents some, he takes care of the deer population some and gets hunting rights in return, he gets invited because he can bring a very well-trained dog. It's really not considered a luxurious activity.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
What time period are you asking about?
Current. Well, post 2000.

http://www.oecd.org/tax/public-finan...gfg%202010.pdf

Quote:
Are you stating that lower social mobility has always been the case?
Wouldn't know. Is this going to be one of those appeals to a halcyon golden age where things were much better?

Quote:
Speculatively, I would say that the expansion and overreaching federal government has had an impact on social mobility.
Quote:
Another obvious aspect of governmental overreach that has diminished social mobility involves the ever growing welfare state that has created a dependent class that has been ensnared in a system that removes the incentives to take the necessary risks required to even grasp the opportunity of earning upward mobility.
Yet the Nordic countries, with expansive social security nets, have a better record of allowing people to rise or fall independently of the income brackets of their parents. Why is this?

Quote:
Until those ethics of hard work, the value of education and the fact that you have to EARN your way by your own hard work and without expectations that anyone or any government is going to take care of you until you make it, I am sure that the ability of those in poverty to move up in social and economic status will continue to remain stagnant.
It's an appealing theory, for some, but how come some actual welfare states seem to trigger the opposite effect?

Are you familiar with Maslow's pyramid? Once you have the basics covered, people tend to go for self-realization. And people will run the risks involved in, say, starting a company more willingly if they're reasonably sure they're not gambling with their family's access to health care or their kids' access to a university education.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:16 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
In general Europeans have similar freedoms and liberties but Americans have greater rights to own guns, speak freely protected by our Constitution, and employers have greater freedom to dismiss workers freely with a few exceptions. I can see why some favor the Euro model but I prefer ours, especially the freedom of speech and gun rights. If you like their system better, move there.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:07 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Some unfree aspects:

Why Tesla Motors can't sell cars in most of the United States
USA Freedom Act
Legal drinking age of 21
Why are Kinder Surprise eggs illegal in the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies