Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:18 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That makes a lot of sense rather than letting them fall into the wrong hands, 15 days is no unreasonable.
Should they steal people's homes,cars, computers, knives, etc? They could possibly fall into the wrong hands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense rather than letting them fall into the wrong hands, 15 days is no unreasonable.
Private property: guilty until proven innocent.

I'm sure they have solid statistics on the number of guns from deceased owners being stolen and used in crime too, right? It's not like they would pull this 15 days number out of their butt.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Should they steal people's homes,cars, computers, knives, etc? They could possibly fall into the wrong hands
They are not stealing, they are asking for transfer. Surely you can understand that there are relatives that are carless or have issues that should never own a gun.

computers don't kill people, people kill people.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:56 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
New York has some pretty strict laws requiring a license to be in possession of a gun. According to the video clip they are giving the family 15 days to legally get rid of it. That means transferring to someone licensed in NY, selling it to someone out of state etc.
Problem is, NY's backlog to process CW license transfers runs months, not days. NYS is a corrupt, near 3rd world craphole as far as political corruption is concerned-one more chance to steal from the people.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What happens if it was dropped in the lake 12 years ago? Or something like that.
You'd be illegally possessing a gun. I don't agree with it but that is the premise of going after them to begin with. It all comes down to the fact the owner needs a permit to posses it to begin with. Keep in mind this isn't a permit to walk around with it. it's a permit to basically have it in you house.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Problem is, NY's backlog to process CW license transfers runs months, not days.
It's a dumb law to begin with but if the new owner has applied for a permit they should waive the 15 day limit. I'd imagine the gun store owners love this law because they probably have a lot of people coming in trying to get rid of them and they are paying a lot less than they were worth.

If it were me I would send it back to relative here in PA to hold onto it or whatever. .

Old 02-01-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
And if the son wants the gun and has no way of getting a permit in the 15 days?

If I was in NY my answer to them if they came to my door is "I don't know where it's at." Perhaps someone may legally transfer it in the future when they "find it" or perhaps it will make it onto the streets if they can't do that.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
They are not stealing, they are asking for transfer. Surely you can understand that there are relatives that are carless or have issues that should never own a gun.

computers don't kill people, people kill people.

It does not say, the right of the people to only keep & bear arms, the government allows.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I hope at least a handful of those citizens have the guts to face the oath breaking officer and say NO! I hope even the fairly balanced Democrats see this as completely wrong.
basically the video says the officers make sure the gun isnt stolen after the person dies, i dont see how you or anyone else has a problem with that concept.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
basically the video says the officers make sure the gun isnt stolen after the person dies, i dont see how you or anyone else has a problem with that concept.
No what the video says is they give them 15 days to either legally transfer/sell it or they will confiscate it. This would not or could not happen in my state or most other states, it's a direct result of the very restrictive laws in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies