Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:29 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

I am glad that Missouri no longer registers guns. Should be that way everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 02:26 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I don't see how this is legal. The gun becomes the property of the estate. The executor has to go through all the steps to settle the estate. This is already being handled through the probate court. Law enforcement can't just pluck an item out of inventory. I don't see how they could take it after settlement either. I hope someone files a lawsuit.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:06 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
We told them they could take them "from out cold, dead hands" and so they decided to take it literally.

Those firearms are private property -- not sure how the State can get away with this.

They can only "get away with it" if people allow them to.

There would be no way I'd allow entry into my parents or any relatives home to look for or confiscate weapons.
Anyone that would are just sheeple that deserve what they get.

`

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You'd be illegally possessing a gun. I don't agree with it but that is the premise of going after them to begin with. It all comes down to the fact the owner needs a permit to posses it to begin with. Keep in mind this isn't a permit to walk around with it. it's a permit to basically have it in you house.

If you have to have a permit to possess something, is that something really even yours? A bureaucrat can revoke that permit and suddenly make you a criminal for having something which (allegedly) was yours to begin with and demand that you turn it over to someone else?

The day my dad passed away, one of my first priorities was to go to his house and gather up valuables, including his guns, and secure them. Shortly thereafter they were transported to my home in another state where they remain. I also have several which once belonged to an uncle, and they're all blissfully unregistered and on no official list as being owned by me.

Like the Brooks and Dunn song put it...

"It's kinda like a lost and found in a border town
You're askin' 'bout a diamond ring
They just look at you like you've lost your mind
Say they haven't seen a thing"

Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
New York is beginning to look like Nazi Germany. The Gestapo boots are clicking. Wake up New Yorkers.
You either know nothing about Nazi Germany or need medication.

Open a history book, not a Breitbart article.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
basically the video says the officers make sure the gun isnt stolen after the person dies, i dont see how you or anyone else has a problem with that concept.

I have a problem with it. A major one. Are the police trying to deal with "precrime" as was portrayed in the film Minority Report? No crime has yet been committed, no evidence exists that any ever will be, yet they're trampling on private property rights?

"Gun, officer? Never saw it. Maybe dear ol' Dad sold it before he passed." This is the problem with registering anything. Powers-that-be can then change the rules as to what you can do with what they know you have. And this is particularly troubling in dealing with rights guaranteed by our Constitution.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:56 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Cops: "Hey, you can keep it. Just register it. Or if not, sell it. Let us know."

Nutjob: "NAZI GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GUSTAPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

American gun nuts are hilarious.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Hey, you can keep it. Just register it. Or if not, sell it. Let us know.

It's not within their powers to "let" anyone keep anything which is already private property. Nor is it within their authority to mandate that they "know" what is done with that private property.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You either know nothing about Nazi Germany or need medication.

Open a history book, not a Breitbart article.

Deride that poster if you like, but is NYC starting to look like pre-Nazi Germany with some of their tactics?
Remember, in hindsight, it is pretty obvious to history buffs what the Nazi's were up to, but the populace (Germans & Jews alike) were blissfully in the dark until it was too late.

No one likes to envision real life nightmares, so they think it can't or won't happen to them. This seems to be human nature, regardless of how inevitable something is.
For example, so few people have financial nest eggs that can even keep them afloat for a few months, yet the likelihood of layoffs, termination, injury, etc. can and will occur to many people. Yet they will buy things like big screen TV's or struggle to get by making expensive car payments, instead of making a plan to survive the likely aforementioned situations.
Look at how many peoples estates go into probate, because they did not set up wills/trusts, even though each and every one of them will die.
They either assume they have plenty of time (since we all pass in our 80's ), or keep their heads buried in the sand pretending the grim reaper is not going to visit anytime soon.

Lastly, I probably think more like you in that comparisons to the Nazi's, or their leader are way over used.
As bad as I think Obama is, he certainly is no Hitler. Neither was Bush when his detractors were comparing him to Hitler either. Even if Obama & Hillary would dream of disarming our citizens (which I believe they would if allowed), they probably wouldn't want to do it for the same reasons the Nazi's disarmed the populace.
Still, any attempt to make it easier for government to have the populaces rights taken away is a slippery slope we must guard against.
Sure, today one or two so called "common sense" proposals might seem innocuous, and most lawmakers would never vote for nightmare scenarios. However, as we have seen before, many unintended consequences occur after you allow the foot in the door.
Food for thought.

`

Old 02-02-2016, 10:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Boobs on here referring to "looking like Nazi Germany" while probably not having been a gleam in daddy's eye at the time, do nothing to add any relevance to the discussion relating to 'sensible and reasonable control' of firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies