Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:36 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And how is Hispanic history fabricated?
That would be a long off-topic post. But I could write a detailed, well-researched book on "Latino Historical Revisionism".

They are simply making up stories. If you went back in time to just before the 1980s and asked about "hispanics/latinos" nobody would have known what you were talking about or who you were referring to. But now, they've suddenly come up with a "500 year history".

Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Then you should be complaining about requests for racial information on every government form including the census. [snip]
If my kids were applying to college or I was applying for a job, I'd check the minority box on the application, an advantage in college admissions (unless Asian or Jewish) and many jobs due to affirmative action. Who can dispute who is a minority these days without threat of lawsuits? I have Native American blood on my father's side so I'm told.

I am beginning to change my mind.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-02-2016 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Census asks for racial information for demographic studies which is good to know. As a black person, I do like to know that when I'm vacationing somewhere or looking for a potential residence that I'm not the only black person there. I'm sorry, but I'm observant like that and when I see that I'm the only black person somewhere, I notice it! That said, I have yet to get a free ride to college or work for being a black person. I've applied to many jobs where I was not chosen, in fact some I never even got an interview for. Don't make assumptions.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Apple and Oranges.

Italian American history month is by country of origin; hence there's no issue.
Black history month is by race; hence it's racism!
Not necessarily, the thing w/ black Americans is that most of us unfortunately do not know what our actual ethnic origin is in Africa so we are all lumped together, where as with whites, you have holidays by the ethnic group be it German, Italian, Irish, or Polish. I don't take any issue w/ those nor do I think they are racist, but I just wanted to point that out.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Not necessarily, the thing w/ black Americans is that most of us unfortunately do not know what our actual ethnic origin is in Africa so we are all lumped together, where as with whites, you have holidays by the ethnic group be it German, Italian, Irish, or Polish. I don't take any issue w/ those nor do I think they are racist, but I just wanted to point that out.
I don't think the person you responded to is white.

Anyway, I doubt anybody want to be all lumped together. My grandpa for example, would rather be called a German-American. He was proud of his heritage for whatever the reasons. My grandmother, however, was a mixed Japanese/Irish, she was not familiar with either culture. lol Some people would consider her "white" some would consider her "Japanese or Asian." She didn't care. lol

My boyfriend is Italian/German. He just considers himself a regular white boy. His dad is a proud Italian lol His mother is very proud of her German heritage. Both love me and consider me just a very good American girl. Fine by me. I never understand Asian study in college, lol can't relate or understand although I am part Japanese.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Most of white have no idea where they come from either. I haven't met one white American who's no mixed - of course there are German, Italian and Irish Americans but many aren't.

Black History Month is racist. Let's stop that and start African American Month, just to be politically correct. Keep in mind, not all African are black.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
White Americans with the strongest ethnic identification are likely the Irish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw

In my experience that's followed by Italians and SE Europeans (ones from the former Yugoslavia are who I'm most familiar with). Damn, those Croats and Serbs didn't get along here even 40 years ago.

Having said the above, the further in generations one gets from the original immigrants the less identification the old country has. That's a big part of the melting pot theory.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:12 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Most of white have no idea where they come from either. I haven't met one white American who's no mixed - of course there are German, Italian and Irish Americans but many aren't.

Black History Month is racist. Let's stop that and start African American Month, just to be politically correct. Keep in mind, not all African are black.
Not the same. The majority have some semblance of their origins and carry their ethnic names. The same is not true for Black Americans/African-Americans because their ancestors were restricted from using their names, languages or anything that would identify with them with their origin.

Remember, it's not like Africans then use "black" as an ethnic identifier, and most don't now either. That was label forced on AAs (and others in the diaspora) rather than allow them to retain their ethnicities.

The easiest way to subjugate a people is to destroy the culture. Enslaved Africans were brought from over 45 different cultures. Today, their descendants in the U.S. do not have the names, cultures/ethnicities, languages etc, generally speaking.

That is totally different from descendants of Germans, Italians, Irish etc. Virtually nowhere does the U.S. speak about the descendants of the Yoruba, Igbo, Mandinka, Ashanti etc. Little is known about them because their cultures were purposely wiped out.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,696 times
Quote:

But what about black people like myself that don't like being called African American...because we've never been to Africa, nor do we speak any African languages?

Old 02-03-2016, 03:32 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
From what I am reading Black History is sorely needed, but pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies