Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,288,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
America is not a Christian nation. There is not even a vague reference to any deity in your constitution.....
From where do we get our "unalienable rights"?

What are "Blessings" and where do they come from ["Blessings of Liberty"] if not from God?

Article VII re. Ratification: "Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth.

What does the bolded mean? Who is Lord? Is "Lord" not a reference to deity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,546,534 times
For gods sake, would you guys shut up about religion? This thread isn't about religion, alright? Take it somewhere else.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,288,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
For gods sake, would you guys shut up about religion? This thread isn't about religion, alright? Take it somewhere else.
Actually, it is.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,546,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Actually, it is.
Nope. Enough. We're tired of your incessant religion ramblings. You've hijacked this thread & you're off topic.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:32 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,947,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Article VII re. Ratification: "Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth.

What does the bolded mean? Who is Lord? Is "Lord" not a reference to deity?
So if the word "Thursday" had been mentioned in the Constitution, the US as a nation would have been consecrated to Asatru?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM

20,699 posts, read 19,338,023 times
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but I live in Canada, and that is not how it works here. In Canada the sexes are equal under the law. ....
If you are ignorant then why are you even bothering to answer? I have no interest in your opinion.

My own brother was put in the hospital by his ex wife. In that case the sentencing gap was even more substantial , he did not even bother to try to seek justice.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:17 PM

20,699 posts, read 19,338,023 times
Quote:
America is not a Christian nation. There is not even a vague reference to any deity in your constitution.....
Since I am more or less agnostic , I have no real stake in this, but pardon your ignorance again. I suppose its fine by me that we are a secular state , but it is a price to pay given I'd prefer not to have the Federal monopoly. Our government was not based on having a powerful Federal government. State Constitutions had it all over the place. So to state that it had nothing to do with is just more nonfactual junk from the usual peanut gallery who babble about things they know nothing about. Christianity had a lot to do with our state history and state governments were quite powerful then.

state.html

Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,392,319 times
Quote:
It's not a theology. Secular Humanism is not attached to any gods nor is it a religion.
It has the same elements of any religion with a formal god, to include irrational belief (faith), salvation, etc. That you can't grasp the essence of what I am saying does not obligate me to hold your hand through an intellectual conversation. If you don't get it, then we aren't compatible debate partners.

Quote:
And how is it destructive? The way arguing a point works is you have to back it up with some substance. Just saying "it's this way" is not a convincing argument.
Is that the way arguing works?

Shall we go through every one of your statements to find where you need to provide proofs for your assertions? Or are you satisfied with concentrating on where the emphasis takes us?

It's destructive because it eschews a universal ideal of Good (aka: God) that transcends physics, and therefore isn't subject to change according to the imperfect perceptions and changing whims of individual consciousness or subjective perception. The antithesis of this concept is subjective individualism, wherein all humans can more or less create their own morality, concept of the Good, and everything else that, when shared, traditionally allowed for prosperous and peaceful polis. It kills the concept and psychological basis of community, because we have no shared universal Truth. It allows for ever smaller atomizations until there is no connection, or logos, in the manner that past societies knew it.

There, see? You just wasted my time. You won't get anything that I said and, instead, will comeback with some prolish complaint about "muh individualism". Go heave your clumsy lectures on rhetoric somewhere else.

Quote:
Theology is not the applied form of philosophy. Many great philosophers do not look to theology to justify their claims.
All philosophies can be mapped in terms of ontology and metaphysics, which makes them structurally equivalent to religion. In addition, they most often require faith, and often offer salvation. The only way to escape the structural comparison is to become a complete nihilist. I won't argue that nihilism is equivalent to religion.

You clearly do not understand philosophy, and it isn't my job to further educate you.

Quote:
And while reading the works of ancient men is interesting, there is no objective reason for me to consider it more valid than modern philosophy that is not associated with any gods.
See above.

Quote:
What about the fact that the world is technically more at peace now than it's ever been. Aside from the Middle East, is the world especially violent? Not really. Africa and some parts of Asia more recently aren't great either, but North America, Europe, Australia, and much of South America are relatively peaceful. Not to mention that our medical science is vastly better now that it's ever been.
First, your assertions on peace are complete conjecture, and you are attempting to bandy them about as fact. Go ply your lazy pseudo-intellectualism somewhere else.

Again, you are invalidly co-opting science and technology as an argument, because the rest of your argument is weak. It's a completely invalid attempt. We've been advancing technologically since we've been conscious, with no interruption. It has nothing to do with your pet views, no matter how much you would like it to.

Last edited by golgi1; 02-05-2016 at 05:47 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You're an angry little fellow aren't you? Why not give the unbridled arrogance a rest; truly educated people can make their points without it. Failing that; it's your choice, the ignore button is clearly marked.
Wow, that's the first time that I've witnessed someone tap out of a debate by asking the other person to leave it.

Characterizing me as angry, especially in light of your continued condescension ("sweet cheeks", "little", etc) is a combination of frustration in not being able to keep up, and a sad psychological need to project and belittle because of that fact. What it all means is that you aren't equipped for this debate, and yet can't take your views being refuted.

You'd rather the world just agree with you.

It's not going to happen. I suggest that you take your own advice and take a hike. I'm not going anywhere.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Yes, that's why religion with established moral stances is so destructive. Worldviews with unchanging morality aren't adaptable.
Without an unmovable moral ideal outside of your own subjective conception of it, you (ie: society) will eventually have no recognizable morality.

The entire point of morality is it is not supposed to adapt to immorality.

Quote:
What everyone should do is think about why X is good or bad, or at least our leaders should
That was accomplished millenia ago, and no sane person would want our leaders, who are variously immoral and bought and sold, dictating new moralities to us. This very notion tells me that you are not thought out.

Quote:
Religion that says "X is bad because the creator says so encourage mental laziness, discourage thought about the world around them and are easy enough solutions to be a tempting trap to fall into.
That might be a compelling argument if morality was inherently subjective, or if our leaders were as intelligent and educated as historical moral philosophers.

Quote:
Secular humanism is adaptable.
Which is why it is destructive.

Last edited by golgi1; 02-05-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies