Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
everything is racist against black folks, you cant win, its all political correctness
I'm always amused by how afraid white folks are at referring to black folks because they're so afraid of saying something offensive.

One time, I was standing with a group of white guys (other managers) assessing the project site. A test technician came by and asked us where the foreman was so he could get the locations for where he was doing the tests. At a distance, everyone doing things there were hispanics. The only one that wasn't hispanic was black and he happened to be the foreman. The other managers tried to tell the technician who it was without referring to race. I finally just said you see that black guy? He's the foreman. After the technician left, I turned around and I could see the fear in the other managers' faces.

Here's the thing. At a construction site, I'm always the only Asian guy standing around. If anyone wants to find me (the contruction manager / project engineer), I absolutely don't mind them referring to me as the "Asian guy". I don't know why black folks are so offended by other people referring to them as "black guy" or "black woman".

If it's the only black, asian, white, or whatever guy standing in a group of people, isn't race the easiest identifier? Why complicate things?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Doesn't framing it all in such a manner serve as a major slap/insult to the Chinese people?

Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM

78,328 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The year of the monkey started here in Japan a month ago, but it never once crossed my mind that there was any connection between that and black people... until reading this story. I'm not sure which is more foolish - the Kings players complaining or the owner trumpeting his sensitivity to the "issue".
My friend used to work for that organization and thinks that the owner didn't want the monkey t-shirts because a monkey is smarter and they have jealousy issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies