Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Actually the thing is that the decision to hire someone isn't always based on who is most qualified. There are other factors such as "how can I get someone to do this work for less money". In many cases the best person isn't hired because different department heads don't want to spend the extra money. We don't hire from overseas because they're just flat out better. It's that companies can get away with paying them less. Mostly because H1B kind of doesn't give them much of a choice in terms of what job they can and can't take.
That is a big reason why I no longer became interested in the tech field. After getting laid off from a job I decided it was time for a career change. I foolishly acquired a masters in CIS thinking that would at least get my foot in the door, wrong. I acquired certs people told me to get, and I am told to get more certs and some experience.

At this point I am pretty much done trying to break into the field. I was brought on to a tech company to do secretary type work until I pass another cert so I could finally do tech work, but now I am realizing that it is all a pipe dream. I now would rather work in a field where I would work equally hard, but would have the potential to earn more. It is a great field, if you can break into it, and there is potential for a lot of growth. I too am black and I agree with you on what you are saying. I knew things were bad because many white dudes who were actually tech experts for years can't get anything because they just cost too much.

Last edited by Beliciano; 02-11-2016 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
(focus on the word "protected;" note that white males are not a "protected" class). Intel is being proactive.
Whites and males are both protected classes as the protection is "race/ethnicity" and "gender", both include white males.

White males however are not considered a disadvantaged group, no matter where or how poor, they are not considered so, and no employer is made to create employment goals and outreach efforts for the employment of whites and males, even if not a single one is in a company's workforce.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:41 PM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Great programmers have the ability to make both masterful/quick/dirty hacks and elegant/refined/robust solutions, and the wisdom to choose which is appropriate for a given problem.

I've dated two software engineers, One Chinese-American, one white. Both said they have yet to see a project done overseas at that sort of hourly rate that has actually gone well.

When the myth of cheap, abundant programming abroad is shattered, there is a lot more reason for the next generation of talent to take on and excel at a craft that creates real value.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 02-11-2016 at 08:49 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What kind of culture test that would strongly favor white and Asian males?
The do I want to hang out with you at happy hour test that many tech companies use and is completely not objective.

For example, a friend of mine interviewed at a company where everyone had an iPhone and skied on the weekend. He didn't do these things. He was "not a cultural fit."

This part of the hiring process continues for a long long time, but in reality tells you nothing about whether someone performs well at work. Tech companies, particularly ones founded by millennials, tend to put the "I want to hang out with you outside of work" as high in the priority list.

And as you likely know, most people only hang out with people like themselves and you end up with non diverse companies.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 PM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Like it or not, the best tech companies have the best "culture"

There is a war to build the “best workplace in the world†– free food, unlimited vacation, yoga classes, beer bashes, and bright open offices are everywhere.

Best tech companies attract the best folks. Many east coast tech companies have lost their best aerospace engineers to google.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
A good case study in affirmative action is the graduate enrollment at California Institute of Technology.

Unlike, M.I.T., it has few -- if any -- humanities (or other non-science/engineering/mathematics) graduate degree programs.

As a private school, it is under less pressure to have "diversity" than public universities.

The feds could pull the plug on student loans and research grants, but then they'd be losing out on the great scientific advances that Cal Tech offers to the nation.

So let's see....

Graduate enrollment at Cal Tech, 2015-2016:

White and Asian 95%

Non-white/non-Asian 5%

Men 72%

Women 28%

This is the result of admissions based solely on merit for one of nation's two leading schools of science, math and engineering.
Cal tech is probably not that great for women and the women don't apply lead to self-fufilling prophecies.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorays...-investigation

Old 02-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Maybe we should diversify the prisons by jailing more white people.

Of course you would need us to commit a helluva lot more crime.
I'd be co tent if white people were sentenced the same way as people of color. White people sell and use more drugs than black People, but we only arrest black people...

Old 02-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"In one respect a company certainly expect to get money from minorities, yet refuse to hire them."

I don't know of a single person, except maybe you, who, when going to buy a product,or need a service, etc., asks themselves, "was this made by a white or a black" before buying it unless they are the picture perfect example of "racist"
The reason tech companies need to hire people with different experiences, is because it leads to better (or different) solutions.

This is a great video:
The One Video Every Silicon Valley Investor Should Watch | Bothsides of the Table

Right now most tech is geared at 20 something video game playing white males. Obviously your70-year old parents have different needs than that 20 something. My 70 year old aunt upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus, because her eyes are bad and sh wants a bigger screen. New customer type here.

Not hiring diverse people means that you miss out on huge markets. Did you know we are way behind the 8 ball on cell phone mobile payments in the US? They have done this for years all over Africa because people didn't have access to banks. Now people pay their friends, utilities and everything with their phone. There aren't many debit cards. We all have debit cards because there is bank infrastructure. Different perspective = different challenge.

I heard about a startup that developed a mobile app to track your wire transfer / money order / western union cash in real time. Developed by a Mexican guy who sent money to family there, and there as a problem of fraud and people would pretend to be someone to pick up the cash. This allows people to get to the western union on time so no one can jack their money. This isn't your experience so you probably wouldn't have thought of that.

Not having a divers team means you are leaving money on the table. It is as simple as that.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
That is a big reason why I no longer became interested in the tech field. After getting laid off from a job I decided it was time for a career change. I foolishly acquired a masters in CIS thinking that would at least get my foot in the door, wrong. I acquired certs people told me to get, and I am told to get more certs and some experience.

At this point I am pretty much done trying to break into the field. I was brought on to a tech company to do secretary type work until I pass another cert so I could finally do tech work, but now I am realizing that it is all a pipe dream. I now would rather work in a field where I would work equally hard, but would have the potential to earn more. It is a great field, if you can break into it, and there is potential for a lot of growth. I too am black and I agree with you on what you are saying. I knew things were bad because many white dudes who were actually tech experts for years can't get anything because they just cost too much.
There are a lot of types of tech jobs. But if you are trying to get IT certifications, that is a dead end. You are much better served learning about UX with a side of project management.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The reason tech companies need to hire people with different experiences, is because it leads to better (or different) solutions.

This is a great video:
The One Video Every Silicon Valley Investor Should Watch | Bothsides of the Table

Right now most tech is geared at 20 something video game playing white males. Obviously your70-year old parents have different needs than that 20 something. My 70 year old aunt upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus, because her eyes are bad and sh wants a bigger screen. New customer type here.

Not hiring diverse people means that you miss out on huge markets. Did you know we are way behind the 8 ball on cell phone mobile payments in the US? They have done this for years all over Africa because people didn't have access to banks. Now people pay their friends, utilities and everything with their phone. There aren't many debit cards. We all have debit cards because there is bank infrastructure. Different perspective = different challenge.

I heard about a startup that developed a mobile app to track your wire transfer / money order / western union cash in real time. Developed by a Mexican guy who sent money to family there, and there as a problem of fraud and people would pretend to be someone to pick up the cash. This allows people to get to the western union on time so no one can jack their money. This isn't your experience so you probably wouldn't have thought of that.

Not having a divers team means you are leaving money on the table. It is as simple as that.
So, you are stating there needs to be quotas to ensure someone from Africa and someone from Mexico is hired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies