Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

So about people being discriminated against....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 11:22 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
At startup companies it's mostly white. In most large corporations it's a hell of a lot more diverse. And people forget that large companies make up way larger portion of the tech workforce than startups.
Large tech companies are not very diverse. Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, and others have published data about diversity in their workforce. That data suggests that those large corporations are not very diverse--especially in leadership and tech roles (but also in non-tech, retail, etc.).

Old 02-16-2016, 11:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Large tech companies are not very diverse. Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, and others have published data about diversity in their workforce. That data suggests that those large corporations are not very diverse--especially in leadership and tech roles (but also in non-tech, retail, etc.).
Neither is NBA, NFL, NHL,.....

Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Neither is NBA, NFL, NHL,.....
You are talking about the players, and that represents what 1200 people total? And requires a very very specific skill set / body type / training that is not available to the general public. Who cares about diversity in athletes.

Google employs: 61k people
Apple employs: 115k people

Old 02-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are talking about the players, and that represents what 1200 people total? And requires a very very specific skill set / body type / training that is not available to the general public. Who cares about diversity in athletes.

Google employs: 61k people
Apple employs: 115k people
Not sure what difference that makes. Yes, I was talking about players. Why shouldn't players have diversity?

Also why is there no diversity initiative in mining, drilling, farming and construction industry where the vast majority of the workers are minority men???

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-16-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,399 times
Lifeexplorer if you can point me to a single case where there was discrimination against white, asian, latino's with regard to getting spots on teams in professional sports, I'll concede your point.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:15 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
"Cultural diversity" sounds so nice! What it should stand for is a good thing. What it's come to be used for is to manipulate favoritism for blacks, muslims, gays, etc by the PC wackos.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Lifeexplorer if you can point me to a single case where there was discrimination against white, asian, latino's with regard to getting spots on teams in professional sports, I'll concede your point.
The point is that in professional sports, we don't discriminate and the liberals don't push for diversity even when diversity is clearly needed.

Why do they push for diversity in business and only in good paying jobs? Have you ever seen the liberals pushing for diversity in mining, drilling, farming and construction industry where the vast majority of the workers are minority men???

Old 02-16-2016, 12:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
That's 3 companies. 3 companies out of thousands world wide. Microsoft, Apple, and Google are very big employers, but again that's not even a fraction of the total tech workforce. People also forget that in relative terms Apple, Microsoft, and Google aren't very big companies at all.

Majority of Apples workforce is mostly in manufacturing plants and the Apple stores. Ditto for Microsoft. And Google, not sure who all works there, but out of their numbers, I doubt majority of them are actual engineers. People forgot that business personnel greatly outnumbers actual engineers even at tech companies.

And people overlook that their are huge tech departments are non-tech companies. Healthcare, Finance (huge tech employment), telecom, government, etc. Apple and Microsoft combined aren't even 5% of the total tech workforce.

If a minority wants a tech job, they can get it without identity politicking. I am a black male, did not go to a prestigous university, and do not have insanely good credentials. But I seems to always be able to find a job regardless. And I've even worked at Apple for a stint, and could have kept working there but I wanted to move back East.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is if they are hired over more qualified people just because of race and/or gender.

`

I agree, but would also add it's a problem if you're not hiring the first qualified person in the door or that you actually interview because you're waiting for the first qualified person of a certain race or gender (qualified or not) to come in the door.

This isn't rocket science. If you're looking for a certain color or gender and not simply qualified people, it's racism or sexism....how difficult can this concept be to understand ?

You may justify it on any number of grounds and perhaps even have a valid argument, but it doesn't change the fact that if you're making a decision based on looking for a certain gender or race, and not just qualifications, you're either racist, sexist or potentially both.

Last edited by jasper1372; 02-16-2016 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies