Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 02:36 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Why only republicans? Aren't Democrat supporters interested in how their candidate will solve these things too?
Everyday Brings new problems. But full of ideas they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:40 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
Note: I wish to keep things civil. Most importantly honest responses. Just really curious to see other logical and respectful responses to issues affecting our great nation.
Very strange set of questions ... especially because you address them to Republicans. Yes #1 is about odumba care, but you are forgetting "We have to vote for it to find out what's in it". All of these questions are of national importance, but guess what? The dims don't have any answers either.

Suggestion ... take each of your questions and make a separate topic for discussion/debate. I have absolutely no interest in spending tens of thousands of keystrokes on this topic as it is written.

El Nox

Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
1. If Obamacare is so bad and it should be repealed what do we replace it with? Do we go back to the days where private, unregulated insurance companies can deny payments of claims for any reason? Do we allow insurance companies to discriminate against those who have had cancer or diabetes therefore making them ineligible?
Honestly, I am on board with meeting Bernie Sanders in the middle and instituting universal high-deductible insurance. Currently, taxpayers are allowed to deduct all health care expenses in excess of 7.5% of AGI, so basically, any expenses incurred that exceed 7.5% of your income can be deducted. I propose a 5% threshold. Basically, is someone is making 50,000/year, they will have to pay 5%, or $2,500 out of pocket before medicare-for-all would kick in. This would ensure that EVERYONE has skin in the game, that people can't just cross the border and claim benefits, BUT it ensures against bankruptcy and financial devastation for people with things like cancer, etc.

Quote:
2. I hear Republicans frequently talk a lot about Healthcare but why doesn't anybody address Medical Cost Inflation? The cost of having a child has increased 300% since my birth and I am in my 20's. How do we control the price of Medical Care? Or Is being Republican having the mindset that "Healthcare is a luxury and if I die because I can't afford it oh well"?? Ted Cruz was asked about Obamacare and what he would replace it with. He didn't have answer, bless the heart of the man who asked because before asking the question, he justified his benefit and need for Obamacare to be in force. And it was because his son had a deficiency that previously wasn't insurable under private insurance.
Honestly, I think healthcare costs are driven by Americans' unhealthy life styles and our lack of emphasis on preventative care. This is going to take far more than politicking to solve.

Quote:
4. How do you deal with homelessness? The reason I ask is this is a two party system. Thought I am aware that there are many moderates who do care in/on the Republican Side the party is also home to extremists who would let them starve to death because "Murica'" and because "Capitalism".
Local issues requiring local solutions are totally different than political ideologies on a state or federal level. It's really going to be up to counties, and maybe states, to solve, and will not be a Democrat or Republican issue. I bet you see many Democrats and Republicans crossing sides when it comes to local issues.

Quote:
5. How do we deal with the drug problem in this country, the DEA costs billions yet incarcerates more people for petty weed or petty possession, why not instead of punishing, we invest the same amount of money we do in jails into a Mental Health Facility or Rehab Facility. Or heck even legalizing it and taxing it! Your opinions please?
End the War on drugs
Personal use = public health issue = treatment
Caught selling drugs = criminal issue = prison

I don't want to legalize hard drugs because it sends the wrong message. And taxing it, oh boy, no more bureaucracy please.

Quote:
6. How would you bring back jobs to America?
There are no jobs to be brought back to America. Paraphrasing Steve Jobs, "Those jobs are gone." My first step if I were President, would be to end the focus on college for everyone and start talking about trade schools, associate degrees, apprenticeship programs etc. If people want to be electricians (who, by the way, start at like 55-65K per year), then that should be encouraged as a good path.

Second step, I would do a flat tax on corporations and remove 100% of loopholes. Corporation of 5 employees? 18%, GE? 18%, Apple? 18%. Everyone gets 18%.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:54 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
My first step if I were President, would be to end the focus on college for everyone and start talking about trade schools, associate degrees, apprenticeship programs etc. If people want to be electricians (who, by the way, start at like 55-65K per year), then that should be encouraged as a good path. .
I agree with this 100%. My boyfriend's dad is a successful Italian chef (never went to college) He makes about $400,000/year. No immigrants (legal of illegals) can steal this job.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
1. If Obamacare is so bad and it should be repealed what do we replace it with? Do we go back to the days where private, unregulated insurance companies can deny payments of claims for any reason? Do we allow insurance companies to discriminate against those who have had cancer or diabetes therefore making them ineligible?
First, I'm an independent who usually votes Republican because the crazy ballot system in Washington state makes it all but impossible for third parties to get on the ballot.

I would replace Obamacare with anti-trust laws on health insurance companies (they were originally excluded from them, creating monopolies) allowing people to buy healthcare out of state and allowing them to buy as little or as much healthcare as they wanted to (i.e., deregulation) And I would give grants to people to start healthcare co-ops, with none of the crazy regulations that doomed the Obamacare co-ops from the start.

And I would forgive all federal student loans for doctors who volunteered at free-clinics, on an hour=x amount of dollars ratio. If every doctors spent x amount of time in the beginning of their careers volunteering, we could make a huge debt in the healthcare issue for poor people.

Quote:

2. I hear Republicans frequently talk a lot about Healthcare but why doesn't anybody address Medical Cost Inflation? The cost of having a child has increased 300% since my birth and I am in my 20's. How do we control the price of Medical Care? Or Is being Republican having the mindset that "Healthcare is a luxury and if I die because I can't afford it oh well"?? Ted Cruz was asked about Obamacare and what he would replace it with. He didn't have answer, bless the heart of the man who asked because before asking the question, he justified his benefit and need for Obamacare to be in force. And it was because his son had a deficiency that previously wasn't insurable under private insurance.

I ask another question: why is the price of healthcare going up, while the price of cell phones going down? Answer: healthcare is the most regulated industry in America, while cell phones are not regulated nearly as much.

Quote:
4. How do you deal with homelessness? The reason I ask is this is a two party system. Thought I am aware that there are many moderates who do care in/on the Republican Side the party is also home to extremists who would let them starve to death because "Murica'" and because "Capitalism".
Funny you bring that up, because SLC, Utah, a pretty Republican city in one of the most Republican states solved this issue: The Shockingly Simple, Surprisingly Cost-Effective Way to End Homelessness | Mother Jones

A simple solution would be this: if a house or apartment is on the market and not selling, give the owner, be it a bank or individual, a huge discount on the taxes they are paying if they would allow it to be used for house a homeless person for a few months. That way they get a place to live and once that is taken care of they will naturally begin the process of picking up their own lives...but liberals tend to believe nothing on Earth happens "naturally" and Big Brother MUST run our lives...but I digress.

Quote:

5. How do we deal with the drug problem in this country, the DEA costs billions yet incarcerates more people for petty weed or petty possession, why not instead of punishing, we invest the same amount of money we do in jails into a Mental Health Facility or Rehab Facility. Or heck even legalizing it and taxing it! Your opinions please?
The war on drugs has its origins in Progressive politics of the early part of the 20th century. I am for completely ending the war on drugs. We fought the war on drugs...and drugs won.

Quote:
Ending the "free-trade" agreements and lowering our business taxes, which is the highest rate of corporate taxes on Earth. And I would get rid of all regulations that were not environmental or worker-safety in nature...do you know that no restaurant in New Jersey is allowed to store wine in barrels? What the hell? The French do it all the damn time! Regulations like that, of which there are thousands, are killing jobs. It's death by a thousand paper-cuts.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:29 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:

This question is born of either ignorance or a purposeful intent to confuse people.
"The days where private insurance was unregulated" haven't exited in a couple of generations. That's nonsense.

Repeal for repeal sake has never been the goal. It has always been repeal and replace. in fact the current speaker of the house proposed at the time a plan that would have covered more people for less money than ACA and mr Obama simply treated him like a little puppy that peed on the floor.

Quote:
Again, Republicans have attempted to deal with medical care inflation repeatedly over the years. ignorance seems to be a theme.

being in your 20s you weren't alive when democrats did some wonderful things that simply drove the cost of healthcare away from the consumer. right now the vast majority of the people in this country think going to the dr costs 20 bucks. That's there co-pay. its not what things cost.

consumers not knowing the cost, and not being part of the cost equation is the central reason for medical care inflation. democrats have repeatedly worked to insure that blind spot stayed in place and have beaten republicans up every time republicans have attempted to correct this.

Quote:

Again with the ignorance.... (that's not an insult ignorance is not knowing)...
The fact is, civil libertarians in the democrat party worked to undo the mental health system that existed until the 80s. they succeeded in "securing the civil liberties of the mentally ill" that led to a lot of people that should be institutionalized to be let out. A large portion of the homless are these people. (PS almost all of the mass shooters are these people).

Beyond that Mr Obama has been President for 7 years. Democrats held power for the majority of that period. fixing the economy is the rest of the fix for homelessness.

Are you really suggesting that its republicans that are the problem when we have had 7 solid years of hard left policy and homelessness is worse now than at any point in recent history?

Quote:

In Texas we are moving away from arresting people for pot. Again, liberals have done nothing but complain. asking republicans what they will do is hypocrisy on its face because when given the power to actually do something democrats just complained.

the Libertarian wing of the party is pushing for serious reform. and again, on mental health, dems broke it. republicans have been rebuffed every time they have tried to fix it.

Quote:

Note: I wish to keep things civil. Most importantly honest responses. Just really curious to see other logical and respectful responses to issues affecting our great nation.

well... republicans generally believe that regulation must be smart but not over burdensome. we also believe that taxing a company is just a hidden tax on their customers. the fact is business taxes are the most regressive taxes there are. every dime Walmart pays in taxes comes out of the pockets of the people that shop there. those people aren't exactly rich.

One aspect of ACA is that there are requirements on companies to insure individuals who work a certain number of hours. the term "full time" before ACA required more worked hours per week.. ACA changed that number to something like 29 hours.

So companies just lowered the hours their people worked and hired others at low wages and few hours. ACA regulated full time jobs out of existence. replacing ACA fixes that problem.

"bringing jobs back" is a huge thing that covers a LOT of different areas. but what I can tell you is that the democats want to take vast amounts of money out of the economy AND they want to add vast amounts of regulations. that aint going to get a single job.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:

have you even bothered to read past posts on this issue? there have been MANY different ways put forward to eliminate obamacare, and reign in health insurance costs, because that in reality is what we are talking about, not health care itself. we didnt need 2700 pages of law, and 21,000 pages of regulation to reign in health care costs. in fact LESS regulation overall is actually better. what we need is the RIGHT regulations, not just willy nilly stuff that screws up the system and makes it cost more and more each year.

1: foster competition between insurance companies, much like we foster competition between auto insurance companies, and look what has happened to auto insurance rates over the years. trust me i know they have gone way down. back when i was a young driver, state minimum insurance was expensive as heck. back in 1977 when i was shopping around for insurance as a young driver, the BEST rate i could find was nearly $450 every six months for minimum coverage. these days state minimum coverage for a young driver is far cheaper.

2: end the preexisting conditions in policies, and have the policies take effect straight away, not nine months down the road.

3: instead of forcing a one size fits all policy on everyone, let the people pick the coverage they need. if you are a female between the age of 18-40, you are probably better off having prenatal care coverage, but if you are a male above the age of 40, you dont. a young person could get away with catastrophic medical coverage, where as someone older would be better off getting more coverage, and the elderly probably should have long term care coverage.

Quote:
yes what do you do with the homeless? are you going to give them a home? how are you going to pay for it? make them pay rent even though most of them have no jobs? you dont get anything for free, someone always has to pay the bill in the end, and that is usually the taxpayers. and dont mourn teh homeless either, there are many programs, both public and private, that help them daily, from soup kitchens that feed the homeless(they can actually eat SIX TIMES per day for free), and there are shelters that will house the homeless. try working with the homeless for a while, i did and it opened my eyes to these people and their so called plight. many are homeless because they WANT to be homeless.

Quote:
again, how do we deal with the drug problems in this country? some say make them all legal otc, some say more harsh enforcement of drug laws, still some say more counseling is needed. but in the end drug users, just like alcoholics, need to hit rock bottom before they realize they have a problem and want to do anything about it. once again, there are many programs both public and private that are available to help addicts that want to kick the habit, they just have to want to kick the habit.

Quote:
we start by making the business environment in this country more friendly to businesses at all levels of government. heavy handed regulation and heavy handed enforcement of those regulations tend to harm business in many ways. remember that the more regulation you pile on a business, the more you cost that business to operate. and there again, just cutting regulation isnt the answer, because again it isnt just the regulation but rather the RIGHT regulations. remember too that small business drives the job market in this country, so make things easier on small business, and stop beating up on the successful people, and jobs will return.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
This is 2016, more than a quarter of century after the Internet was born, and liberals still haven't learned how to use search engines such as Google before blowing their ignorance into everybody's face?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:48 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:

Only Democrats voted for those Great Society policies. They were rammed down America's throat and it has caused bitterness ever since.
After President Rubio is sworn in you'll have your answers the very next day.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:55 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

After President Rubio is sworn in you'll have your answers the very next day.
Okay. we will be waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies