Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 AM

88,785 posts, read 44,594,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
If you're too 'rich' you pay more!
Too rich? I started with nothing. I earned my way to where I am. No one handed me anything. What do I get for all the planning, initiative, motivation, hard work, responsibility, sacrifice, delayed gratification, and subsequently the achievement that has resulted from all of that? Disproportionate punishment from the government for doing so.

Quote:
I prefer more new central money creation to help pay for HC access for the masses, vs more taxes.
That actually dilutes the value of the dollar, making the poor even more poor than they already are.

I much prefer the way Scandinavian countries do it: the highest marginal income tax rate is applied to the middle class (so there's much less drastic of a penalty, comparatively, for earning an above average income), and EVERYONE pays a 20-25% VAT tax on top of that.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...me%20Taxes.png

How Scandinavian Countries Pay for Their Government Spending
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 AM

19,984 posts, read 20,683,019 times
I recently lost my job and medical benefits.
I cannot afford 0bumacare.
I own a house and also own a wife and 2 kids.
What do I do?

Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,729,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What do I do?
Not sure which state you are in but you would probably qualify for Medicaid, even if it's short term, and sNAP benefits.

Call your mortgage company immediately before you get too far behind. Some will work with you short term or even defer for a period.

Not sure your belief system but many will keep you in thoughts and that word I won't use so as to avoid a diversion to this topic.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Maybe 2/3 fee for service. Medicaid for me has been no nightmare. The largest hassle has been dealing with the psyche of the typical patient, at that has started to end for me as of last week.
Just a question since you indicated you are quite removed from the admin side of your practice. Double check with who does the accounting and see if the Medicaid fee schedule covers the overhead.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,307,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Tricare is military only and is administered by those companies you detest.

I am glad you admitted utilization, it's what some have been stressing as the main contributor to overall cost and that is each citizens 'role' in the equation
Sure, Tricare is only for retired military, but it works and it is administered by those folks for a reasonable fee rather than billions and billions in profit.

America is a nation in diapers where most have self-inflicted illness from lack of exercise, smoking, obesity, drinking, drugs, junk food, etc, etc. The well educated seem to be lean, exercise, and eat well whereas the poor have awful habits. IN the state of Maryland (a wealthy state) the greatest degree of coronary artery disease is in the poor areas in the northwest and Baltimore.

I heard that in Denmark CocalCola is so expensive that the poor have to buy bottled water which is much cheaper. And they do this on purpose to force the citizens to try a healthier approach. I don't blame the former mayor of New York for trying to bamn HUGE bottles of Soda Pop.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Just a question since you indicated you are quite removed from the admin side of your practice. Double check with who does the accounting and see if the Medicaid fee schedule covers the overhead.
Doctors are expected to provide services at a loss. In fact, if a surgeon wants to be a member of a hospital staff he or she must take call for the ER and must perform emergency surgery on patients that arrives with no INSURANCE. Failure to do so would bring major fines and penalties. A surgeon in my family does about 20% surgery for free.

Why must a GP see 30 patients a day? Because the pay per patient is extremely low and there is overhead. And the patients at large think that the docs are millionaires and overlook the scam of the private health insurance industry.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sure, Tricare is only for retired military, but it works and it is administered by those folks for a reasonable fee rather than billions and billions in profit.

America is a nation in diapers where most have self-inflicted illness from lack of exercise, smoking, obesity, drinking, drugs, junk food, etc, etc. The well educated seem to be lean, exercise, and eat well whereas the poor have awful habits. IN the state of Maryland (a wealthy state) the greatest degree of coronary artery disease is in the poor areas in the northwest and Baltimore.

I heard that in Denmark CocalCola is so expensive that the poor have to buy bottled water which is much cheaper. And they do this on purpose to force the citizens to try a healthier approach. I don't blame the former mayor of New York for trying to bamn HUGE bottles of Soda Pop.
I would be careful with certain assertations... The highly educated are just as prone to negative lifestyles, or inherent smugness, as those without as much education.

That's just my opinion though.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What do I do?
In Scandinavia, Costa Rica, or Germany you would be FINE. Over here you are in dire straits.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Maybe 2/3 fee for service. Medicaid for me has been no nightmare. The largest hassle has been dealing with the psyche of the typical patient, at that has started to end for me as of last week.
Many Medicaid patients tend to be high maintenance, manipulative, and demanding. Private patients are often much more civilized. The irony!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM

19,984 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Quote:
Not sure which state you are in but you would probably qualify for Medicaid, even if it's short term, and sNAP benefits.

Call your mortgage company immediately before you get too far behind. Some will work with you short term or even defer for a period.

Not sure your belief system but many will keep you in thoughts and that word I won't use so as to avoid a diversion to this topic.
I'm in NY. I have a cushion so paying the mortgage is not an issue just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies