Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Japanese leaders such as the prime minister continue to visit a war shrine, which stands for Japan's militaristic history. And when criticized, he says that he does so as a private person, not as a prime minister. No wonder China and South Korea don't buy Japan's apologies.

There is also an odd deal between Japan and South Korea, which is considered a way for the Japanese to buy themselves out of their dirty past, now that most victims have already died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It was most certainly the bombs and especially the second bomb. Japan was going to surrender anyway, but the nukes insured we'd not have to invade with boots on the ground.

Preemptively killed scores of thousands of Japanese citizens in exchange for saving thousands of allied soldiers, mostly US, lives.

When did we lose common sense on how to fight a war?

I can't believe that the use of nuclear weapons on innocent civilians is not a source of deep national shame for Americans. Sadly, many still applaud the choice made to kill all of those innocent people, including young children and the elderly. The United States has never properly atoned for those atrocities.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I can't believe that the use of nuclear weapons on innocent civilians is not a source of deep national shame for Americans. Sadly, many still applaud the choice made to kill all of those innocent people, including young children and the elderly. The United States has never properly atoned for those atrocities.
So you wanted Germany and Japan to get the knowledge and use them on us? Guess you would feel better but I am betting you would not be here now. War is hell, no one said it was different.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:55 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o

Never knew much about Japan, this explains a lot.
Spits on the US in Hawaii??

Nothing about the terrible Pacific fighting in WWll.

Oh, wait! Japan has never admitted wrong doing in WWll. (Egg on my face)

What a farce! No wonder kids today don't know crap about history. Hell, they can't even tie their shoes, tell time on an analog watch or read cursive writing

Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post

Japan was utterly defeated before either nuclear attack. Their navy and air force had ceased to exist for all practical purposes. The remainder of their army was cut off in China.

If they wanted to avoid nuclear annihilation, they should have surrendered before Hiroshima. After that, they should have surrendered before Nagasaki, but they didn't. They gained nothing by holding out and lost two cities through stubbornness.

The take-away from this:

Don't start a war that will result in your nation's destruction. Sometimes the lesson comes hard.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM

Again, it was the Russians that changed the Japanese' mind, not nuclear bombs.

There is no take-away, your "advice" makes no sense at all because every country starting a war thinks it will win the war. And it almost worked out for both the Germans and the Japanese. Fate might as well have gone very different, luckily it did not, though.

Regarding the moral aspect of nuclear bombs, I do think such weapons are not OK.
Nuclear bombs, dropping hundreds of thousands of tons of napalm and agent orange on civilians in Vietnam, killing civilians with remote-controlled drones... Such cowardly behavior seems to be a hallmark of the US military

Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, it was the Russians that changed the Japanese' mind, not nuclear bombs.

There is no take-away, your "advice" makes no sense at all because every country starting a war thinks it will win the war. And it almost worked out for both the Germans and the Japanese. Fate might as well have gone very different, luckily it did not, though.

Regarding the moral aspect of nuclear bombs, I do think such weapons are not OK.
Nuclear bombs, dropping hundreds of thousands of tons of napalm and agent orange on civilians in Vietnam, killing civilians with remote-controlled drones... Such cowardly behavior seems to be a hallmark of the US military

And, what have other countries done during war? I mean since you're so spun up on history and everything.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:44 AM

Well, for instance I can only think of certain rogue states that have used chemical weapons...

Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, for instance I can only think of certain rogue states that have used chemical weapons...

So the only atrocities you're concerned with are those from NBC sources? Hacking hundreds of thousands of men, women and children in Rwanda doesn't count? The Great Leap Forward? Meh, they only killed about 40 million...but at least their were no chemicals involved! Stalin....oh he was just an old angry Commie...nothing to fear really.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:09 AM

Well, if I had such a big mouth as the US always has, I would not be happy to be put in the same drawer as Rwanda or Stalin
Then again, I am realistic, in terms of morals, values etc. the US is just one big hypocritical fake. Nothing new under the sun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies