Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
How so?
Ellis Island ring a bell, for example? The legal immigrants had to have an American sponsor, a job, and a place to live already lined up or they were not admitted to the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 10:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
What does that graph even measure?

The number of illegals coming into the country each year?

The total illegal population?
Did you click on the link and read about it.....?

Quote:
Not very well, considering that it is the Catholic Church that is one of the major players pushing for open borders.

If the choice is between enforcing American immigration law, and more Latino Catholics in America, the church chooses the latter.
.....right. I see we got ourselves an old timey Protestant here. But hey, I'm sure it's the Catholic Church and not industries that require cheap labor like construction and logistics that push for lax immigration laws.

Quote:
Sorry.

You don't get social security and Medicare without paying into them first. Same with most pensions.
Sorry, but the amount you paid in doesn't cover the cost. Promises were made that can't be kept. Healthcare has risen tremendously over the last 20 years while the cost of living increases. The boomers should have voted better and/or prepared better for retirement because I imagine we will have to bail the boomers out.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ellis Island ring a bell, for example?
So... illegal immigration wasn't occurring?

Quote:
The legal immigrants had to have an American sponsor, a job, and a place to live already lined up or they were not admitted to the country.
That sounds all fine and dandy but that's not what actually happened.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
To drive on the road I pay fuel taxes (part of which goes to mass transit), sales tax on vehicles where the same car might be bought and sold numerous times, registration fees, licensing fees, title transfer fees, excise tax on tires and if I park in Philadelphia half of what I pay to park goes to the city and the school district....On top of that we have the vast revenue from law enforcement, parking tickets and the trillions of taxes the industry generates as a whole.
And yet, here in Texas we are converting roads to gravel (South Texas) because of lack of funds. All those roads over this large geographic state cost a bunch of money to upkeep and keep up with the booming population growth.

Those Republicans that have been in charge haven't exactly made wise decisions in terms of our infrastructure.

Quote:
Other than a ticket that doesn't cover costs and a $9 hamburger that cost $16 to make what is someone riding Amtrak paying?
Because the automobile has been subsidized. When cities enact minimum lots, minimum setbacks, and minimum parking requirements, those type of laws essentially mandate that the environment be built for car use.

Stop subsidizing sprawl and watch how mass transit becomes more viable. Or keep on promoting inefficiency on roads and highways we can't even maintain.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
How so?

Even illegal immigration is trending downward due to housing not providing as many jobs.

But you agree that birth rates and immigration rates aren't static... right?
We have no clue what illegal immigration is doing as no one is monitoring it.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:

Liberals don't understand -- and don't want to understand -- the energy business. If your revenue is less than the cost of production, you stop exploring and producing.
A couple things. First, they are still producing and exploring but it has been exceedingly scaled back. No one wants to give up their share of the market and everyone still holds out that this year the market will end up starting to recover. This tax would put definitely throw a wrench into those plans.

Second, I'm actually fairly liberal. The presidential candidate I share the most ideals with would be Bernie Sanders. I'm only conservative on a small handful of issues. I'm not fond of generalizations though. Many liberals don't fully understand the oil and gas industry and just how dependent we still are on fossil fuels. I try to be more realistic with my my actual outlook on things. Do I think one day we will have a world that is more reliable on renewable energy than fossil fuels? Yes. I think it's even possible in my lifetime but I don't think we are nearly as close as some people believe.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
So... illegal immigration wasn't occurring?
Do you have any evidence illegal immigration was occurring 100 years ago at the rate it is now?

Quote:
That sounds all fine and dandy but that's not what actually happened.
Yes, it is. How do I know? My ancestors lived it. Just one example... My great-grandfather immigrated first, worked a job, and saved enough money to send for his wife. During her voyage over from Europe, my great-grandfather lost his job so the immigration officials wouldn't let his wife immigrate when she arrived in the US. They sent her back to Europe. My great-grandfather had to find a new job and start saving all over again to pay the debt incurred for the trip back to Europe, and then save even more to send for his wife again.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
What does that graph even measure?

The number of illegals coming into the country each year?

The total illegal population?

Not very well, considering that it is the Catholic Church that is one of the major players pushing for open borders.

If the choice is between enforcing American immigration law, and more Latino Catholics in America, the church chooses the latter.

Sorry.

You don't get social security and Medicare without paying into them first. Same with most pensions.

That is not true of money spent on Medicaid and immigrants.

wrong-- I can tell you because I know folks who received it-- for instance-- My grand- special needs child- he received it- and?

Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:

Stop subsidizing sprawl and watch how mass transit becomes more viable. Or keep on promoting inefficiency on roads and highways we can't even maintain.
Again I pay fuel taxes (part of which goes to mass transit), sales tax on vehicles where the same car might be bought and sold numerous times, registration fees, licensing fees, title transfer fees, excise tax on tires and if I park in Philadelphia half of what I pay to park goes to the city and the school district....On top of that we have the vast revenue from law enforcement, parking tickets and the trillions of taxes the industry generates as a whole.

These taxes are going to go far beyond what is being being used for infrastructure and in fact are subsidizing numerous other things. There is about 235 million cars on the road today, if we were to assume 6% sales tax and it cost $25K new and was sold as used the first time for $8K and sold again for $3K over a 20 year period that by itself is 30 billion dollars a year. It's almost as much as the fuel taxes.

What is the person using mass transit paying other than ticket that does not cover costs?

Last edited by thecoalman; 02-06-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 12:29 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
[/b] wrong-- I can tell you because I know folks who received it-- for instance-- My grand- special needs child- he received it- and?

Your grandchild is probably receiving SSI (Supplemental Security Income) , not Social Security. Different pot of money although the Social Security Administration manages it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies