Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times

Advertisements

Some people are unaware that Obamacare subsidies and expanded Medicaid have no asset test, it is based on income only. In the case primarily of older people who have homes and savings/retirement accounts but low income, they often will qualify for full Medicaid coverage. There is no limit to this, they can be millionaires as long as their investment income is at or below poverty income limit.

States are also dropping asset tests for food stamps and other entitlements.

Many people are shocked that someone with money in the bank could qualify for programs, however, with no income, or income low enough to qualify, many of these people are already depleting their savings to pay the bills.

There needs to be a conversation about what wealth really means, it is very precarious when an unemployable older person is spending down all their savings in order to live, or when a single mother cannot have a cushion of savings or a decent car that runs for fear of losing food assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
While there should certainly be asset tests for assistance, I have an odd concern.

I have two old outstanding judgments and hope to one day have a lump sum to offer as settlement in full. Specifically, I'm thinking of a sum in the neighborhood of $2,500 to $5,000.

What if i'm living on a shoestring and unable to BOTH get/keep assistance and pay off the judgments? Wouldn't most people in that situation blow off the creditor in order to keep the assistance? Should the creditor have to suck it up and accept a lower payoff limited by the asset test?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:29 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
I'm semi protected.

Obama said my rates would drop $2500./year.
Instead they went up $2500./year.

See Obama is trying to reduce my assets just in case it ever comes up.

Thanks Obama!

Old 02-11-2016, 05:06 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
People complain about not taxing them enough. Here they can get Obamacare completely free.

Why Millionaires Get Obamacare Tax Credits

There are those who are shocked over this, but it is true and there is no trick. A lady I know, not a millionaire but she is an unemployed widow with a retirement fund, went to the obamacare website, was forwarded to state exchange who qualified her for Medicaid. The customer service rep seemed upset about it, like she didn't know this was a thing. The people working there don't know how the system works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies