Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 02:36 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times

Advertisements

There is a war in the Levant. That is not news. There has been a war in the Levant for the last four thousand years. The only important this is that we stay the hell out of it.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Default Syria. Situation Getting Complicated.

There's nothing complicated about this.

It's the same old mindless violence and slaughter that has characterized the middle east for 10,000 years. It's the region's defining characteristic.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
Really? I don't see that much of a difference between them and us. Look at European history. Concentration camps were not a German invention, the Brits came up with that.

I hope your not saying a certain ethnicity or religious groups have a predisposition to certain behaviors.

This is intertesting. I always have known that the Saudis own a lot of US politicians. I wonder just how many they do have on a leash.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...7996&tid=ss_tw

This is in fact very complicated under the surface.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Really?
Yep.
Quote:
I don't see that much of a difference between them and us.
You're welcome to your opinion.

Quote:
Look at European history. Concentration camps were not a German invention, the Brits came up with that.
How many times over the past ten millennia?

Quote:
I hope your not saying a certain ethnicity or religious groups have a predisposition to certain behaviors.
Please point out where I said that.

Quote:
This is intertesting. I always have known that the Saudis own a lot of US politicians. I wonder just how many they do have on a leash.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...7996&tid=ss_tw

This is in fact very complicated under the surface.
What's complicated about greedy pols taking cash from any source?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I hear the CIA and US state department are talking to the rebels about the cease fire. If it's violated they can have MANPADS.

If I were them I couldn't think of a better reason to violate a cease fire aside from getting nukes. Some of those "moderate" rebels are very chummy with the likes of ISIS and Al Nusra.

If an airliner gets taken out by a MANPAD we'll know who to blame.

Putin.
Sy Hersh interview covers Bin Laden, Syria, Libya

Exclusive Interview: Seymour Hersh Dishes on Saudi Oil Money Bribes and the Killing of Osama Bin Laden | Alternet

Interesting is the section where France and Belgium were encouraging people to go fight in Syria to overthrow Assad.

"t’s very clear, ironically, that one of the things France and Belgium (and a lot of other countries) did was after the Syrian civil war began, if you wanted to go there and fight there in 2011-2013, ‘Go, go, go… overthrow Bashar!’

So they actually pushed a lot of people to go. I don’t think they were paying for them but they certainly gave visas. And they would spend four or five months, come back and do organized crime and get in jail and next thing you know they’re killing people. There’s a real pattern there."

Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

How many times over the past ten millennia?
I don't think our history is AS brutal as that of the Middle East, but it certainly isn't far off... Europe has a NASTY history of warfare, from Scotland/Ireland vs England, Greece vs everything, Rome vs everything, more recently, Germany... to name a few...

On this side of the world, the Civil War, the Battle of Quebec, the Revolutionary War, our colorful past of racial oppression and killings... And then let's not forget our knack for blowing random **** up willy-nilly all over the world, decimation of entire cities.... So ISIS likes to blow up ancient monuments; isn't that the EXACT SAME THING we did in Iraq just a few years ago? It's a big deal when ISIS blows up a temple in Palmyra, but when we do it to Baghdad and Mosul it isn't?

Old 04-21-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't think our history is AS brutal as that of the Middle East, but it certainly isn't far off... Europe has a NASTY history of warfare, from Scotland/Ireland vs England, Greece vs everything, Rome vs everything, more recently, Germany... to name a few...

On this side of the world, the Civil War, the Battle of Quebec, the Revolutionary War, our colorful past of racial oppression and killings... And then let's not forget our knack for blowing random **** up willy-nilly all over the world, decimation of entire cities.... So ISIS likes to blow up ancient monuments; isn't that the EXACT SAME THING we did in Iraq just a few years ago? It's a big deal when ISIS blows up a temple in Palmyra, but when we do it to Baghdad and Mosul it isn't?

If we stayed the hell out of the endless, mindless middle east violence, then we wouldn't be doing those idiotic things, which is my point.

Leave those silly fools to slaughter one another like they've done forever. It isn't our fight, it isn't our problem. They will not grow up because we (or anyone else) think they should. Killing one another over infinitesimal differences of interpreting silly old myths is their favorite past time.

Leave them to it.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If we stayed the hell out of the endless, mindless middle east violence, then we wouldn't be doing those idiotic things, which is my point.

Leave those silly fools to slaughter one another like they've done forever. It isn't our fight, it isn't our problem. They will not grow up because we (or anyone else) think they should. Killing one another over infinitesimal differences of interpreting silly old myths is their favorite past time.

Leave them to it.
Yes, I agree. It's not our battle, nor should it have ever been.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Obviously, the establishment disagrees. Obama's foreign policy advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski called the rebels "US assets", which is effectively an admission that the various paramilitary groups in Syria and Iraq have been receiving US military aid along with "non-lethal" aid.

Brzezinski: Obama should retaliate if Russia doesn't stop attacking U.S. assets - POLITICO

Old 04-23-2016, 11:20 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times
I do agree with Old G in most respects but the point is that the west has shown itself to be just as murderous and ideologically driven as the ME powers. The US state department is going to inflict democracy on peoples when and where it suits them until there is someone powerful enough to check them or sanity breaks out in the ranks for some reason. I doubt that we'll see that soon though.

The conflict in Syria is going to drag on, possibly for decades with little regard for the people there. I have no doubt that the west is fighting for the wrong side. Most Syrians do to. Interesting video of their perspective.

LiveLeak.com - 100 years of beauty - Syria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies