Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:31 AM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times

Advertisements

This victim was driving on a suspended license, clocked going 67 in a 45 zone and the warrant was for failure to appear. I watched all 3 videos and the officer was professional and particularly respectful of Ms. Perry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The officers did what they were instructed to do. The instructions should have never happened. File a lien on her property. If she has none attach her wages. If she has no wages you aren't going to get the money anyway.

But the city will spend $2500 (I have no idea what the actual costs will be) to go after $300 in fines.

$2500? Somebody with the state's attorney's office filed a warranty request, a judge approved it, the warrant was put out on the wire. Lady gets pulled over, is arrested and take to the station, where she posts a bond equal to the amount of the outstanding fines, and everyone goes on their way. It cost almost nothing.

A property lien is (and should be) much farther down the line of potential remedies. Imagine the outrage this lady would have exhibited had somebody tried to take her home or other property over unpaid parking fines!!!!

Almost exact same thing happened to a friend of mine who happened to be a white, heterosexual male (supposedly the "privileged" class). An interesting car had come in on trade at the dealership we worked at. Curious to see how it drove, he hopped in to take it for a short spin around the block. He lazily opted not to put a dealer plate on it. Lo and behold, there's a cop at the intersection who sees him driving without a plate and pulls him over. Cop runs my friend's driver's license, notices his license has been suspended and he has outstanding warrant for an unpaid speeding fine. Next thing I know, he's calling me from his cell phone, asking me to come pick up the the car and bring it back to the dealership because he's been arrested and is being taken to the station. FWIW, he was back at work in less than 90 minutes.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Thank goodness for the dashcam. But if there wasn't one, I think the case would have been dismissed.
Yes, but another piece would be added to The Narrative.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:36 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
But the city will spend $2500 (I have no idea what the actual costs will be) to go after $300 in fines.
Not just fines, she was also illegally driving on a suspended license. Cities don't spend much going after people with traffic ticket violations - they wait for them to speed past cops while their license is under suspension. How stupid can they be? If I had an outstanding warrant I'd be an extra cautious driver and make sure I didn't have any broken tail lights or other excuse to be pulled over. Nia (formerly Imani) had 4 tickets from different jurisdictions ,a suspended license, and has a pending court case (early March) for driving with a suspended license. The pending suspended license case surely won't go her way now.

http://planetprinceton.com/2016/02/1...-vehicle-stop/

Old 02-12-2016, 01:41 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm all for a city going after someone with unpaid parking tickets. I'm sure there is probably a high correlation between people that don't pay parking tickets or drive on suspended licenses that also don't pay their insurance in a timely manner, or pay it at all. In that instance the expense of having them as a liability on the road becomes very high to the city and to other drivers or property owners.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:47 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Holy crap. That was one of the nicest, most patient cops I've ever seen.
If I ever get pulled over in Jersey I hope it's by him.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many "cop haters" and racists have been SCREAMING for dash cams and body cams for the police.

It has been pointed out, "be careful what you wish for", that they may not like some of the outcomes.
I think this is because so much of the certain leftist groups that support anti-police brutality protests (especially those which border on just anti-police protests) are comfortable with massive surveillance and oversight from all levels. They like the idea of "accountability" to a degree that they support a world blanketed with cameras and other recording devices.

To be fair, some of the biggest opponents of dash cams and body cams are also anti-brutality police groups (like the ACLU) because they see surveillance as reinsurance regardless of the targets and purposes of that surveillance.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:05 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
She should not be fired. This is not truly worth firing people over, even with the social media lying. We need to get away from the society of overreacting, and overreacting to her overreaction does not help with that.
She should publicly apologize and admit her wrong. I doubt that will happen, but she has already had an appropriate loss of face and the apology would be just as much for her sake as for the sake of the police officers involved. And whether she apologizes or not, her employer should just stay out of it. Of course, they should have stayed out of it from the very beginning and not tried to interject themselves as a coddling authority trying to shame the police officers and police department on behalf of their employee. These constant appeals to authority for validation of victimhood need to stop. I think Princeton, not the professor, is truly the one in the wrong here for enabling this behavior to essentially fluff up their own importance.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-14-2016 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 02-12-2016, 03:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,413,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
She's undoubtedly one of a number of people who read over-the-top prejudice and mistreatment into many interactions where it doesn't belong, and have managed to parlay that into a career where they float by on the probability that no one will dare to question their status as a perpetual victim.

Which especially sucks because there are people out there who are horribly mistreated, and crap like this trivializes their experiences or grievances.
I agree that there are real instances of abuse and mistreatment. She should resign.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:09 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Not just fines, she was also illegally driving on a suspended license. Cities don't spend much going after people with traffic ticket violations - they wait for them to speed past cops while their license is under suspension. How stupid can they be? If I had an outstanding warrant I'd be an extra cautious driver and make sure I didn't have any broken tail lights or other excuse to be pulled over. Nia (formerly Imani) had 4 tickets from different jurisdictions ,a suspended license, and has a pending court case (early March) for driving with a suspended license. The pending suspended license case surely won't go her way now.

Police Release Video of Princeton Professor's Motor Vehicle Stop and Warrant (Updated) - Planet Princeton

DON'T drive on a suspended license, " they wait for them to speed past" DON'T speed and you probably WON'T be stopped.

As Forest Gump said. "Stupid is as stupid does".

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-14-2016 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies