Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
If he is FORMER active duty, then he is not longer subject to UCMJ. lol damn
True; however I was referring to West's being charged with violating the UCMJ back in 2003 while he was on active duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:
According to this very interesting article written by an active duty military service man

First of all, I find it odd that these Riverine craft were operating on an excursion from Kuwait to Bahrain. Why were they not hugging close to the coast line? Now, I also find it perplexing to be told that the engines of the boats malfunctioned. If that were the case, an immediate call should have been made and at least, aerial surveillance and support should have been dispatched.

This whole episode is not in keeping with the Code of Conduct. But before we go and demonize a young naval officer, we need ask, did he take orders from someone else? There can be no doubt, after watching the video and the words spoken, there were countless violations of this code. Our honor calls upon us to fight, to resist, not surrender. The ramifications of not doing so means our honor is now being mocked and we’re seen as nothing more than cowards on our knees. Say what you wish, but that’s the perception in the Middle East, especially to our enemies.

Folks, here's what I find VERY ODD about what happened with Iran and our Navy yesterday... - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com
Simply put, we were not at war with Iran, and the commanding officer of those boats had no immediate directive to perform any act that might change that fact.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM

39,221 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
True; however I was referring to West's being charged with violating the UCMJ back in 2003 while he was on active duty.
I didn't know that. Nor do I care.

But if you read his whole article, he didn't say these sailors should be ashamed. He said these sailors were taking orders from someone.

Not saying I agree, but I do found the whole story fishy. That is all.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
According to this very interesting article written by an active duty military service man
You misspelled "war criminal" Have some respect, he earned that title.

Quote:
This whole episode is not in keeping with the Code of Conduct.
Says he man who was fined $5,000 for - breaking the UCMJ.

Anyway, he and everybody else who are sad this didn't end up with dead US sailors can go spill their own blood in pursuing their sacred honor. 10 flag-covered coffins didn't happen, and that's a good thing. Even if it hurts Allen West in the feels, I think the nation is better off.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Simply put, we were not at war with Iran, and the commanding officer of those boats had no immediate directive to perform any act that might change that fact.
well, I don't know why the bolded matters?

My question is simply this

if an American vessel breaks down at sea, or strays from course, under those operational conditions, there are a lot of American assets that would both notice the problem and be able to offer relief.

Yet no one did.

We’re supposed to believe nobody radioed a couple of inexplicably lost boats to ask where they were going? When one of them supposedly broke down, a carrier battle group had no means to come to their assistance?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Anyway, he and everybody else who are sad this didn't end up with dead US sailors can go spill their own blood in pursuing their sacred honor. 10 flag-covered coffins didn't happen, and that's a good thing. Even if it hurts Allen West in the feels, I think the nation is better off.
I didn't say anything about war criminal. Who earned the title? What are you talking about? Don't know what you are referring to.

I was simply posting a link written by allen west. If you don't agree with him, we can discuss.

I personally am glad these sailors are safe. So don't even go there.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:47 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Quote:
I didn't know that. Nor do I care.
It's relevant to his comments on the incident.

Quote:
But if you read his whole article, he didn't say these sailors should be ashamed.
It's obvious he's finding fault in their actions. I find it ironic that he mentions 3 U.S. servicemen who were captured by Yugoslavia back in the 90's, but doesn't venture too far into how the military or government handled that incident.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:51 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Since when do we surrender to an inferior force on the open seas.
When your boats are out of gas and you are surrounded by larger, better armed vessels, unless you are on a suicide mission.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

You meant "said"

Anyway, you need to read his article, He said

This whole episode is not in keeping with the Code of Conduct. But before we go and demonize a young naval officer, we need ask, did he take orders from someone else? There can be no doubt, after watching the video and the words spoken, there were countless violations of this code. Our honor calls upon us to fight, to resist, not surrender. The ramifications of not doing so means our honor is now being mocked and we’re seen as nothing more than cowards on our knees. Say what you wish, but that’s the perception in the Middle East, especially to our enemies.

Folks, here's what I find VERY ODD about what happened with Iran and our Navy yesterday... - Allen B. West - AllenBWest.com

Old 02-12-2016, 11:52 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
why do you keep on calling people idiot and a nutcase?

are you capable of a civilized conversation.

well,

Because anyone to even suggest or think like this is; what would you call people who state we should just wander into foreign territories and start firing on countries who we are not at war/combat engagement with?

Quote:
Allen west posted

Now, I also find it perplexing to be told that the engines of the boats malfunctioned. If that were the case, an immediate call should have been made and at least, aerial surveillance and support should have been dispatched. The next thing would have been immediate dispatching of a recovery vessel to support these two boats. Regardless of one or two boat engines malfunctioning, what should have happened after a distress call was all hands manning the boat weapons. They should have been in an immediate defensive posture to secure themselves until recovery was complete — or they were back underway.

Your explanation to that is.... ?
No one said both boats malfunctioned. Even if this was the case, it is not an emergency or anything if a damn boat breaks. No immediate call is needed unless they are unable to get back underway. Once they figured they were in Iranian territory and being approached, who knows if a call went out or not, know one has stated anything yet. The area is not some warzone with a rapid response crew and stuff just hovering and waiting while others do things. All in all, the transit through there is no different than anywhere else other than the navigation hazards.

Since it is not a combat zone, there is no need to man weapons or any of that nonsense. Additionally something everyone keeps not understanding; we were in Iranian waters, I do not see what is so difficult to understand about this. This is like giving the ok for a Russian plane drifting into US territory to shoot down a US plane, absolutely ridiculous suggestion.

West is so far off the SOP and ROE and general basic boat operations that it is difficult to even know where to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies