Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
A draft has not happened in a long time. If it ever does, I fully expect that dozens if not hundreds of men and women would sue, some to keep from being drafted and others to tear down the draft system entirely. The current gender based discrimination would never survive a court challenge. The 14th Amendment does not provide an exception or allow for disparate treatment based on a person's gender.

What does the NFL have to do with this? They are a private business not a government entity.

Common sense would be to just treat men and women the same, equality is what always makes the most sense.
I thought equality laws also apply to "private organizations? Can a "private organization (i.e. walmart) only hire males?

Hypothetically, lets say that we do indeed need a draft. If you were to ask all the parents which (son of daughter) to send...how many would choose to send their daughters? How many brothers would be ok with their sister being drafted instead of them?

This is the military that we are talking bout. Life and death. And, you want to put young women's lives at risk just to appear to be equal?

If we were to implement women into the draft then you might think twice. Imagine a scene where thousadnds of (non-volunteered) women are killed in combat. Then we find out that many of them were killed because they lacked the skills necessary to stay alive.
Whose fault is this? Was all of this necessary? Would we (as a country) feel better about our policies because we gave women an equal right to die?

While we are discussing this, isn't their some age discrimination going on here? The law states that males aged 18-25 must register. This means that all males older than 26 are being discriminated against.
So, maybe we need to change the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Well since you put it that way...yes.
Have you ever served in the military?

Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Question wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstwo View Post
Very bad idea. You think it is a good idea to put women in positions where they can not only be killed but beaten/tortured and raped, especially with enemies as we have today? Just look what happened with the captured sailors in Iran. Fortunately it turned out okay but is it right to have women in positions where things could have easily turned out far worse? Women shouldn't be in such potentially bad ending situations.
What planet are you from?
Koale

Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 AM

1,166 posts, read 754,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I thought equality laws also apply to "private organizations? Can a "private organization (i.e. walmart) only hire males?

Hypothetically, lets say that we do indeed need a draft. If you were to ask all the parents which (son of daughter) to send...how many would choose to send their daughters? How many brothers would be ok with their sister being drafted instead of them?

This is the military that we are talking bout. Life and death. And, you want to put young women's lives at risk just to appear to be equal?

If we were to implement women into the draft then you might think twice. Imagine a scene where thousadnds of (non-volunteered) women are killed in combat. Then we find out that many of them were killed because they lacked the skills necessary to stay alive.
Whose fault is this? Was all of this necessary? Would we (as a country) feel better about our policies because we gave women an equal right to die?

While we are discussing this, isn't their some age discrimination going on here? The law states that males aged 18-25 must register. This means that all males older than 26 are being discriminated against.
So, maybe we need to change the law?
Equality is the best policy, no need to twist yourself in knots looking for an alternative. The simplest and best way to handle this is to just simply treat people the same regardless of gender. I don't believe that the government should be allowed to draft anyone and force them to serve, but if they are going to do it, it needs to apply equally and fairly to everyone male and female.

Why do you think it is ok to force a man to serve but not a woman? You keep making specious arguments that a woman's life is worth more than a man or at least more worthy of special governmental protection, and that the death of a female is a tragedy orders of magnitude greater than the death of a man. I disagree with those outdated sexist notions. A life is a life, it is just as tragic when a man dies as a result of being forced to serve in combat.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
How do you all feel about women being forced to sign up or the military? I agree big-time with Ted Cruz that it is a horrible idea. Here are a few reasons why I say this
1. We have an all volunteer force. This works well because those who serve do so of their own free will. The current military members all signed up for whatever is asked of them.
2. The draft: We haven't had the draft in effect in 40 years. I believe that this is a good thing, but any debate could be worth discussing.
3. However... it is only males (18-59) that are required to sign up. Why only males? Well, we have to answer question #2 to understand the big picture. The idea of equal rights for women (in the military) has been a hot topic lately. Women in combat? Thats a fair, but separate discussion.
The issue with women being FORCED into selective service is totally different. Why?
The draft is supposed to be used only in an emergency type situation (i.e. Vietnam) So, FORCING women to join the military would be a bad thing. here are a few reasons
a. These women have a chance, and a right to join, IF THEY WANT TO. In this case, we are talking about women who CHOSE not to join. So, the gov't is going to FORCE them to join. Some additional problems...
b. Women aren't as strong as men: This is a generalized statement, but true. So, we would be selecting (generally) a person who is weaker than an average man.
Lets say that you had 100 men and 100 women all gathered together in a gym. The general needs to pick 100 people for his fighting force to go kill bad guys. How would he choose? Well, a physical test would probably be a major factor at least. Sure, some of the women would be good choices. And, some of the men would look like bad choices. But, it would be unlikely that the general would pick more than 25 women. The draft does not work like that. A draft is randomly selected. So, you have a large pool of candidates, but it's pot luck of what you actually get.
c. Another problem is that women might have children. So, should we be breaking up families? Is is fair or smart to FORCE a single mom to the military while there are millions of able bodied men who could go instead? Think about that???
d. Women can get pregnant: What happens if & when a woman gets drafted and then gets pregnant? Well, at best it is a break in service. Even then, you now have a child who needs her mother. Chances are that it will end her military "career" (especially since she did not want to be there in the first place) so, it was a big waste of time and money altogether.

These are just some of the many real-life challenges and problems that we face if women are forced into the draft. And or those of you who say that they might not ever get drafted anyway... That is probably true. But, we would be spending millions of dollars to sign up people who would never get picked by the general. Do pro football teams have women on their practice squads? Why not?

No freeman(or woman), should be put into bondage. Especially in bondage for a government that may not have the persons best interest or values in mind.
It should be an individuals choice, if they wish to train in Foreign Tactical Warfare(US. Military) Or Domestic Tactical Warfare(Militia) Which local governments have taken from the milita and called a police force, in the Police State of unlimited Statutory laws..

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
How do you all feel about women being forced to sign up or the military?
I support it, because it will almost-guarantee that we will never use conscription again unless America is faced with a life-or-death situation.

Conscription for Vietnam was abhorrent and beyond the pale, and I really can't believe that we did it.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
1. Single males with children in the military... voluntarily.
Yup.......

Quote:
2. Actually, "they" didn't really want these things. Who are "they"? Well, mostly they are politicians (men and women) who are trying to push liberalism down our throats. Most American women are not that interested in going to combat. Yes, it is a few women who want it, but it is false to think that all, or even most women are in favor of these things.
Where were "they" when it was all over the news, those women you speak of.

Quote:
3. And, it is those same liberals who indeed do want women to sign up for selective service. Of course, we all know that they themselves would never want to be drafted. Most of them would then protest big-time if an actual draft occurred. So, the laws that they are cramming down our throats would be deemed unfair, unwise, or sexist, or unconstitutional if they were actually implemented.
Everyone's fault but the women who wanted it...

Quote:
They would really love it if they could guilt a few repubs to go along with it under the guise of equal rights. Then they (liberals) use it against them politically.

So, basically the whole thing is political with no benefit to the military.
Does not bother me either way, politician or not equal rights are equal right, not pick and choose what you want to be equal in....

Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Equality is the best policy, no need to twist yourself in knots looking for an alternative. The simplest and best way to handle this is to just simply treat people the same regardless of gender. I don't believe that the government should be allowed to draft anyone and force them to serve, but if they are going to do it, it needs to apply equally and fairly to everyone male and female.

Why do you think it is ok to force a man to serve but not a woman? You keep making specious arguments that a woman's life is worth more than a man or at least more worthy of special governmental protection, and that the death of a female is a tragedy orders of magnitude greater than the death of a man. I disagree with those outdated sexist notions. A life is a life, it is just as tragic when a man dies as a result of being forced to serve in combat.
No, I never said that a womans life is more important than a mans.
The tragedy is that we are putting womens (and those people in her unit) lives at risk ONLY for political reasons, and not for any other reason.
Military decisions should be made with national defense as a top priority. When you start playing politics with the military then you are going down the wrong road.

We need the best people available. If there are qualified women available then we could encourage them to join.
Also, there is the pregnancy issue. It is quite possible that a woman will become pregnant while serving. When this happens you have essentially lost a member of the team. This would not be the case if she were a he.

The fact is that men are generally better suited for the military. If women want to serve, then they have that right.
Just because men have nipples does not mean we should be breastfeeding.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yup.......

so, we agree on this point.

Where were "they" when it was all over the news, those women you speak of.

When what was all over the news? womens rights? I am not arguing womens rights. I am actually saying that the selective service is detrimental to womens rights. It is potentially putting women's lives at risk for no reason.

Everyone's fault but the women who wanted it...

It looks like we agree again.

Does not bother me either way, politician or not equal rights are equal right, not pick and choose what you want to be equal in....
I'm not sure I follow you here. Why would it not bother you that politicians are playing games with people's lives. Are we just pawns in their game of chess?

It is this type of politically correct (i.e. backwards) thinking that has Donald Trump leading the field.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:21 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow you here. Why would it not bother you that politicians are playing games with people's lives. Are we just pawns in their game of chess?

It's been that way for many years, when did you get out? You did say you were prior military, right.

Quote:
It is this type of politically correct (i.e. backwards) thinking that has Donald Trump leading the field.
So, telling the truth is now backwards thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies