Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want universal health care?
Yes 174 46.90%
No 197 53.10%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times

Advertisements

Absolutely. I currently pay for Medicare, I'd love to actually receive some benefit for that. We spend an absurd amount on healthcare in this country. A single payer system would be cheaper overall.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:49 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
But if you mean that a civilized government does not criminalize the unlicensed trade in healthcare education, materials, nor medicines, that's fine.
Universal healthcare really means everyone can treat anyone to the best of their abilities. Only the patient heals himself. Let the market decide.
Yes! We shouldn't have to tolerate those evil government regulations that require people to prove they actually graduated from medical school, the horror of trying to safeguard the public from charlatans and frauds. After all, anyone who watched Dr. Kildare on TV when they were a kid probably knows all they need to in order to start their own medical practice

Old 02-14-2016, 08:49 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times
Meanwhile the poll shows that most folks in this forum are for Universal Care. There is some civilization is planet Houston.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:56 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Meanwhile the poll shows that most folks in this forum are for Universal Care. There is some civilization is planet Houston.
It's easy to be for something that sounds so wonderful as Universal Healthcare but I bet the numbers of the poll would change dramatically once people actually started paying for it.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:07 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's easy to be for something that sounds so wonderful as Universal Healthcare but I bet the numbers of the poll would change dramatically once people actually started paying for it.
I doubt it. I'd be perfectly fine paying higher taxes for a national healthcare system. It would be less than what we're paying now for private insurance. Everyone would finally be paying into the system. Another upside is that you no longer have to worry if you're going to lose your house or not if you have a serious medical condition. I'd be willing to bet that I'm not the only one who feels this way either.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
And just wait and see how your body betrays you and your cholesterol, BP, whatever goes out of range. Not everything is as controllable by diet and exercise as you want to believe. A young man I know just had that happen to him a few weeks ago. Does everything "right". BP is elevated. 33 years old.
^ Well said. It's so easy for people to wag their fingers at people about how their life style choices have caused their health problems. My best friend's 39 year old son just had bypass surgery. He's strong and athletic bikes almost every day, has a healthy diet and doesn't smoke or drink. The bottom of his heart is dead. He had been having 'gas pains' for the past year which were actually heart attacks. I wonder what bad choices he made that we can blame his illness on

Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Absolutely. I currently pay for Medicare, I'd love to actually receive some benefit for that. We spend an absurd amount on healthcare in this country. A single payer system would be cheaper overall.
You don't think you are getting your money's worth for the $104 a month you pay for medicare? I think it's the best bargain in healthcare out there, I just wish everyone could sign up for it.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I want everyone to have healthcare, but I'll never support socialized medicine.
I guess you consider medicare socialized medicine? What would you like to see it replaced with?

Old 02-14-2016, 09:30 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You don't think you are getting your money's worth for the $104 a month you pay for medicare? I think it's the best bargain in healthcare out there, I just wish everyone could sign up for it.
I meant that I pay for it in payroll taxes. Yes I would love to sign up as well and use that rather than paying for health insurance also.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Please review Mircea's post in lMedicare Only Insure's .....l originally posted by Julian. He does an excellent job outlining the funding of insurance, how the funding is capitalized to cover costs, and exactly why it sounds great until the dollars are actually accounted or.

Some contend to just print more money (digitize it actually) to cover the cost. That is the money grows on trees theory, the QE that's been in place since 07. Some, many, Keynesian Economists think it is a sound principle and will point to % of GDP vs. National Debt, or % of the budget being used to service the interest on the National Debt, as evidence.

None of us, our companies, or our states can create money out of the stroke of a pen. So, for those that think it is perfectly ok when the Federal Gov does it, I'm glad I won't be around down the road (although I will still probably be around as I'm not in poor health).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies