Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want universal health care?
Yes 174 46.90%
No 197 53.10%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:52 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I meant that I pay for it in payroll taxes. Yes I would love to sign up as well and use that rather than paying for health insurance also.
Gotcha' thanks for the explanation!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:01 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I guess you consider medicare socialized medicine? What would you like to see it replaced with?
A better overall economy where almost everyone can afford their own medical care, or others can be helped voluntarily.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
No thanks, not unless the proponents of Universal Health Care are going to start paying their fair share in taxes.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Already have it, and don't see any real problems with it, although haven't really used it much either.

If I lived in the US, I'd be happy with the same deal.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Please review Mircea's post in lMedicare Only Insure's .....l originally posted by Julian. He does an excellent job outlining the funding of insurance, how the funding is capitalized to cover costs, and exactly why it sounds great until the dollars are actually accounted or.

Some contend to just print more money (digitize it actually) to cover the cost. That is the money grows on trees theory, the QE that's been in place since 07. Some, many, Keynesian Economists think it is a sound principle and will point to % of GDP vs. National Debt, or % of the budget being used to service the interest on the National Debt, as evidence.

None of us, our companies, or our states can create money out of the stroke of a pen. So, for those that think it is perfectly ok when the Federal Gov does it, I'm glad I won't be around down the road (although I will still probably be around as I'm not in poor health).
Sorry I have no idea where to find the posts you are referring to. But the reality is that if you really crunch the numbers there are a whole ton of costs to not providing health insurance to people that are largely ignored, such as the costs to employers of workers who are unable to work because of illness, the spread of contagious disease when immunizations are not readily available and the insane cost of the uninsured receiving medical care in emergency rooms. And I have not advocated a 'free medical care for all' plan. I would prefer a gradual phase in over time of everyone to medicare over a period of several years until everyone is covered. For those under 65 you could increase the part B premium somewhat (with accommodation for low income people) and you could change the co-pay on part B to 25% or 30% rather than 20%. Then allow people to buy private policies to cover the co-pay, or if they choose to they can pay the co-pay with an HSA or out of pocket.

This article describes how the overhead in medicare is 2-3% but with for profit insurance companies, between 12% and 30% of healthcare spending goes to administration, advertising and profit. Do we really spend a third of health care dollars on billing and bureaucracy? | PolitiFact Oregon

Here's an article that describes how the Kaiser healthcare model which provides services without an insurance company intermediary has premiums over 30% lower than a plan with similar coverage with a private insurance company: Why health insurance companies are doomed - Fortune

And here is an economist's analysis of medicare for all: Friedman analysis of HR 676: Medicare for All would save billions - PNHP's Official Blog

Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
A better overall economy where almost everyone can afford their own medical care, or others can be helped voluntarily.
What does "helped voluntarily" mean? The poor would be at the whim of a charity to decide if they needed medical care?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:37 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
It sounds great in theory,but there are many things non-medical workers do not see that make it complicated.

For example,my relative who is an Lpn works with adults that are brain damaged due to drug use.
Most end up with feeding tubes,ventilators,permanent Iv's,incontinent,and some basically will never talk,walk,learn again.
They will always need medical care,and nursing care round the clock.

They are not brain dead btw,so we just can't pull the plug.
They still have some signs of life like response to pain,or in a Pvs state.

These people can live decades like this,and i can wager it costs thousands a day to care for these people.

The same with seniors.

How will we pay for nursing home care,which costs thousands of dollars a day?
Lots of seniors end up in nursing homes,and many require expensive medical care.

What about drug addicts that go in and out of rehab?
That gets pretty old seeing the same faces to be honest.

How will a Ssingle payer system eliminate people that abuse free healthcare?

These are interesting questions that nobody seems to want to answer.

I do not like the idea of death panels,but at what point would a Single payer system stop paying for medical care?

Also,how would we deny illegal medical care?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:42 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
NO, forcing people to buy private health insurance or forced to pay a tax is just plain wrong.
Private health insurance, yes, that would be as wrong as forcing everyone to buy Brooks Brothers sweaters. Now public basic healthcare cannot be avoided.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:54 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Yes I want universal health care and I want it paid for by taking money out of the military budget and foreign squandering programs and kept here at home to care for Americans.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Please review Mircea's post in lMedicare Only Insure's .....l originally posted by Julian. He does an excellent job outlining the funding of insurance, how the funding is capitalized to cover costs, and exactly why it sounds great until the dollars are actually accounted or.

Some contend to just print more money (digitize it actually) to cover the cost. That is the money grows on trees theory, the QE that's been in place since 07. Some, many, Keynesian Economists think it is a sound principle and will point to % of GDP vs. National Debt, or % of the budget being used to service the interest on the National Debt, as evidence.

None of us, our companies, or our states can create money out of the stroke of a pen. So, for those that think it is perfectly ok when the Federal Gov does it, I'm glad I won't be around down the road (although I will still probably be around as I'm not in poor health).
Previously Mircea admitted he worked for a health insurance company, so view anything posted by him (her?) as suspect. Unfortunately when that post was used to demonstrate his bias, he deleted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies