Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zum View Post
No. He knew exactly what he was doing when he drew that weapon. Asians and Blacks don't get along. Look at videos of the 1992 LA riots. That tension was fueled by a Korean killing a black girl in a liquor store. Blacks and Hispanics don't get along either. That is the fault line of most interracial violence. All this nonsense of whites oppressing blacks is nonsense. In fact black on white crime is more prevalent than the reverse. It just isn't reported because a white person being a victim of black violence is not politically correct.
LOL. Korean from LA riot to prove your point of "Asians and Blacks don't get along"? That's like saying French and English are the same people because they are white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:13 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zum View Post
No. He knew exactly what he was doing when he drew that weapon. Asians and Blacks don't get along. Look at videos of the 1992 LA riots. That tension was fueled by a Korean killing a black girl in a liquor store. Blacks and Hispanics don't get along either. That is the fault line of most interracial violence. All this nonsense of whites oppressing blacks is nonsense. In fact black on white crime is more prevalent than the reverse. It just isn't reported because a white person being a victim of black violence is not politically correct.
Koreans and Chinese don't speak the same language, and it is nonsense to use a riot in 1992 as an example to validate something about this event.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:24 AM

858 posts, read 707,395 times
I don't understand why this is a debate. The person who happened to be a cop blindly fired a weapon and killed another human being. to me, it doesn't even matter whether CPR or an ambulance was called right away. a person died at the hands of another when they should not have. it's pretty open and shut that he should at least get some sort of manslaughter. If any other citizen was in the stairwell and discharged a weapon that killed an innocent person, they would have been charged and convicted without blinking an eye.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I don't understand why this is a debate. The person who happened to be a cop blindly fired a weapon and killed another human being. to me, it doesn't even matter whether CPR or an ambulance was called right away. a person died at the hands of another when they should not have. it's pretty open and shut that he should at least get some sort of manslaughter. If any other citizen was in the stairwell and discharged a weapon that killed an innocent person, they would have been charged and convicted without blinking an eye.
The debate is not about whether he had fault or not. It is whether his race and the victim’s race played a role in the sentence.
If the victim is Asian, and the policeman is white, will the result be the same? Some argue yes, but Chinese Americans argue no.

Of course, such things are very difficult to prove, so people talk about other cases in the past.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
You mean like all those convicted cases in the past 20 years of NYPD history? Please show me one.

I'll give you one case to think about.

In 2012, NYPD blindly fired weapons and shot 9 innocent bystanders. None was convicted. I blinked a lot but it didn't help.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
The debate is not about whether he had fault or not. It is whether his race and the victim’s race played a role in the sentence.
If the victim is Asian, and the policeman is white, will the result be the same? Some argue yes, but Chinese Americans argue no.

Of course, such things are very difficult to prove, so people talk about other cases in the past.
It works out like this:

1. If the victim is white, Asian, pink or brown, the police would walk.
2. If the victim is black and the police is black, white or white Hispanic, the police would walk
3. If the victim is black and the police is Asian, 15 years felony!

Blake life matters, you know!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It works out like this:

2. If the victim is black and the police is black, white or white Hispanic, the police would walk

So your overall point is that Asian police should get away with killing blacks like everyone else?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:57 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:

It's not that difficult IMO. They have a valid point. It's not one that should get him out of his sentence but police officers have been exonerated for this kind of stuff many times.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
So your overall point is that Asian police should get away with killing blacks like everyone else?
Basically.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:59 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It works out like this:

I understand the point you two are making.

This is a tragedy and there is no winner in this case.

I am not a law expert, my brother is a criminal defense attorney. I remember he used to tell me that law to a certain degree is just, but it is not necessarily fair.

Justice means giving each person what he or she deserves or, in more traditional terms, giving each person his or her due.

Most ethicists today hold the view that there would be no point of talking about justice or fairness if it were not for the conflicts of interest that are created when goods and services are scarce and people differ over who should get what. When such conflicts arise in our society, we need principles of justice that we can all accept as reasonable and fair standards for determining what people deserve.

Think of it this way, I can argue that some soldiers have been unfairly punished and became the scapegoat due to radical change of rules of engagement. Fair? I don't know.

I doubt any police of any colors can really get away with it if put in the same situation, because for prosecutors, Peter Leung's case is almost like a win win for them.

Sad situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies