Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 AM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
You clearly have a problem with reading comprehension and understanding context.
Oh sorry, did you state your age. I'm from the south and saw racism first hand and still see it today. But you go ahead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It looks like you don't understand institutional racism.
The argument is always the same from you people. I understand fine.

Quote:
It is rules, unevenly applied, leaving behind a differential impact.
That is not racism. Yet, you want to pretend it is. You have to redefine the term racism in order for it to fit your narrative.

Quote:
For example, federally sponsored mortgage programs, like the VA and FHA loans, weren't available for black neighborhoods until the 70s. There were lots of policies that contributed to this. As a result, black vets and black families missed that opportunity to get a house easily. This has a longer term impact than just the years the policies were in place. It actually led to the generational poverty, since home ownership is the path to wealth building in the US. There is tons of evidence out there. I don't need to rehash decades of research. And I don't feel like sharing examples from my own life.
Segregation. The left has lots of explaining to do for that. Low-income housing that isolates and ostracizes and segregates minorities. Your research will show a disproportional effect on poor people, who are disproportionately black, which still is not racism.

Quote:
You did not read the book, clearly. That is not what it is about at all.
Yes it is.

You've yet to prove racism and neither did that book. It's an entire book based on a the fallacy attributing correlation as causation.

Quote:
Racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
It the hijacking of a term to sensationalize and redirect attention from the real issues.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh sorry, did you state your age. I'm from the south and saw racism first hand and still see it today. But you go ahead
The ignorance of your post is stunning. What does this have to do with anything I've said?

Old 02-17-2016, 12:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
The argument is always the same from you people.
You people. Always the mark of someone who listens. And doesn't stereotype.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
You people. Always the mark of someone who listens. And doesn't stereotype.
I'm not sure how to respond. You stated I did not understand. I stated disproportional results is not racism. You stated I did not understand and pointed to disproportional results as your evidence of racism. You completely ignored my argument. I hear the same argument that "I do not understand" from people defending that book and institutional racism. Disproportional results of a policy is not racism.

You can not win this argument becasue you have to redefine racism for it to fit into your narrative of institutional racism. What is horrible about that argument is, when you try to do that, you contort and manipulate around the real causative factors (addiction, lack of opportunity/mobility, lack of an environment for prosperity) in order to use race as a significant factor.

The causative factors for poor people to remain poor are the same, irrelevant of race.

Last edited by billydaman; 02-17-2016 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 AM

Notice the rate of black people in poverty staying relatively the same with change coming only during ecnomic ups and downs.

Notice the rate of white people in poverty staying relatively the same with change coming only during ecnomic ups and downs.

Notice the rate of Asian people in poverty staying relatively the same with change coming only during ecnomic ups and downs.

Notice the rate of Hispanic people in poverty staying relatively the same with change coming only during ecnomic ups and downs.

Notice the rates change for all, in the same direction when they do change. You can not tell me that upward mobility, poverty is tied to race, or racism.

There is something else, other than race keeping people poor.

Note:
The line indicating minorities will look more volatile due to less sample size, i.e. takes more white people to move the line than black people.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how to respond. You stated I did not understand. I stated disproportional results is not racism. You stated I did not understand and pointed to disproportional results as your evidence of racism. You completely ignored my argument. I hear the same argument that "I do not understand" from people defending that book and institutional racism. Disproportional results of a policy is not racism.

You can not win this argument becasue you have to redefine racism for it to fit into your narrative of institutional racism. What is horrible about that argument is, when you try to do that, you contort and manipulate around the real causative factors (addiction, lack of opportunity/mobility, lack of an environment for prosperity) in order to use race as a significant factor.

The causative factors for poor people to remain poor are the same, irrelevant of race.
You people is a very dismissive phrase. You know that.

No I said I didn't completely agree with you because you think the only problem is poverty. Poverty is a problem. Institutional racism is a problem. Those two problems can intersect for black people. And your experience being poor is different based on your ethnicity. For example, poor white people tend to live in more affluent neighborhoods than poor black people. Obviously that has an impact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...white-poverty/

Your poverty narrative also leaves out the experiences of non-poor black people. Which are not totally the same for other groups. The current term for this is intersectional. These intersections cause different experiences. This doesn't mean there is are no similarities, but the differences are important to.

PS: the new Jim Crow is about the prison industrial system which she parallels with Jim Crow.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
You people is a very dismissive phrase. You know that.
Yep, becasue you are using a well known argument and mischaracteriaztions of my argument.

Quote:
No I said I didn't completely agree with you because you think the only problem is poverty.
No, I did not, I stated it was the predominate, yet when these discussions come up, the premondinate focus is on race.

Poverty is the predominate problem, yet you cant help but point out that racism is a problem, no matter how insignificant it is in comparison to poverty.

Quote:
Institutional racism is a problem.
You have to prove it's existence. Simply redefining the term racism is not an adequate argument. Showing me an issue that disproportionate impacts a group of people is not proof of racism. Black people are disproportionately poor, they will disproportionate show up in issues that disproportionately affect poor people. Disproportion is not racism.

Quote:
And your experience being poor is different based on your ethnicity. For example, poor white people tend to live in more affluent neighborhoods than poor black people. Obviously that has an impact.
No it does not. There is no difference in upward mobility of poor people between races. If you are born poor, you will likely end up poor.

Do some research and see how much it matters for upward mobility.

Quote:
Your poverty narrative also leaves out the experiences of non-poor black people. Which are not totally the same for other groups. The current term for this is intersectional. These intersections cause different experiences. This doesn't mean there is are no similarities, but the differences are important to.
Yep, I understand you think race is has an incredible impact on peoples experiences. Yet, the only thing you can point to is anecdotal and demographic examples. I agree, people have unique experiences. Where I disagree is that you can glean relevant information on their experiences based on their skin color.

Quote:
PS: the new Jim Crow is about the prison industrial system which she parallels with Jim Crow.
Correlation does not equal causation.

What causes crime. Poverty.

Where do most prisoners come from: Large cities.

Both are disproportionately black. It's not unexpected black people would be disproportionately incarcerated. That is not racist. That is result of ineffective policy.

Do not get me wrong, the prison system is ****ed up (war on drugs), but its not due to racism. It's not a Machiavellian scheme to incarcerate black people, there is no evidence that was the intent with crack laws or low income house, but rather an unintended consequence. Trying to paint this as a race issue is a clear distortion and completely lacking logic. It completely ignores that most of the crime is actually committed and results in incarceration. It's the elephant in the room that gets glossed over in that book. It's not like we are putting away a lot of innocent people.

Last edited by billydaman; 02-17-2016 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
There's just as many black bigots as there are white.
Lol. Right

Old 02-17-2016, 06:47 AM

88,955 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
You can not go on an internet forum today that discusses politics with out several left leaning poster talking about "racist conservatives". What people identify as racism today is not racism. Perpetual socioeconomic status. If you bothered to read my post, you would of figured it out with out having to ask the question.
I know you're trying, but some will illogically and irrationally cling to their 'it's because of racism' canard, no matter what. It's due to their lack of critical thinking skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies