Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:23 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
By that logic its everyone choice to die in a car accident
That makes no sense. Dying in a car accident isn't addictive.

Driving while under the influence, while extremely tired, or under other impairing conditions, etc., that results in death in an accident is indeed a personal choice, though. No one is saying it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:14 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I'll bite.

I voted for him.
I believed that he could do what he promised and that changes were so desperately needed. The fact that he's black was great, too.
I'd vote for him again, yes - in a heartbeat!
The bigots in our country have lost their collective minds. Because of these people not being able to handle having a black president, race relations have become strained. It's pretty sad, IMHO.
My life got a lot better. I went from working in the private sector to working for DoD, and I purchased a house.
Very happy for you that things got better. I only wish we didn't have the history of some white and black people owning slaves.. most white Americans never owned a slave and have no ill feelings toward black people. I wish all were that way. Hatred is taught .. resentment is taught.. but when their is injustice People must speak out.

I had hoped to see Ben Carson in the white house but he was not strong enough for the media and he back pedaled on some things he said in the media and his poll numbers dropped. He is a wonderful man.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense. Dying in a car accident isn't addictive.

Driving while under the influence, while extremely tired, or under other impairing conditions, etc., that results in death in an accident is indeed a personal choice, though. No one is saying it isn't.

Did you even try to understand the analogy? Are you that close minded?

Choosing to drive a car can result in death.

Choosing to use drugs can result in addiction.

Your logic says choosing to use drugs is an explicit choice to get addicted.

Your logic says choosing to drive a car is an explicit choice to die in a car accident.

I understand, you will never admit the ignorance you deeply believe in, even when its made abundantly clear its both unreasonable and irrational. You contort and manipulate your argument into some bizarre interpretation to where only in your own mind, you are right.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:42 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Very happy for you that things got better. I only wish we didn't have the history of some white and black people owning slaves.. most white Americans never owned a slave and have no ill feelings toward black people. I wish all were that way. Hatred is taught .. resentment is taught.. but when their is injustice People must speak out.

I had hoped to see Ben Carson in the white house but he was not strong enough for the media and he back pedaled on some things he said in the media and his poll numbers dropped. He is a wonderful man.
Ben Carson is out of his league. He writes a book and gets upset when the facts of the book that HE wrote gets challenged and can't be substantiated. Basically he lied about certain facts in the book to create this image that he overcome the challenges of a horrible, socially dysfunctional ghetto environment and beat the odds by becoming a world renounce surgeon. The book is riddled with lies. To make matter worst, his story would be equally compelling without the embellishment of facts.

Herman Cain is another fine example. White folks loved him but he was a complete idiot and his campaign ended in a disaster. I'm not sure if the Republican Party has a difficult time selecting qualified black candidates or if it is a deliberate attempt select and promote black buffoonery in the guise of serious presidential candidates.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Did you even try to understand the analogy?
Yes, I did, and I even gave examples in which such would apply: a known increased risk.

Using a non-addictive drug = no risk of addiction
Using an addictive drug = high chance of addiction

Driving an automobile = low risk of automobile accident death
Driving an automobile while under the influence, extremely tired, or otherwise impaired = higher risk of automobile accident death

Quote:
I understand, you will never admit the ignorance you deeply believe in, even when its made abundantly clear. You contort and manipulate your argument into some bizarre interpretation to where only in your own mind, you are right.
It is your ignorance that is constantly on display in this thread. I don't understand how you don't see that.

It is clearly fact that if one never uses an addictive drug, one will not become addicted to that drug.

Using an addictive drug is a PERSONAL CHOICE that can be avoided.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Do some people just completely lack common sense? Serious question...

Old 02-18-2016, 11:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Serious questions to our black posters on CD.com:
Did you vote for Obama?
Did you really believe in 'hope and change' or were you more interested in him because he would be the first black president?
Has your life changed for the better or worse in his 8 year presidency?
Do you think race relations in the US have improved over the last 8 years?
If he could run for another term, would you vote for him?
1 - Yes I voted for Obama both times
2 - I don't believe in any political slogans. I voted for him because I felt in 2008 McCain was too old to be president (I currently feel Bernie Sanders is too old to be President) and that his choice of Sarah Palin as VP was a poor choice as she is an idiot IMO and that soured me on him. FWIW, I actually like McCain and voted in the GOP primary in 2000 for him to run instead of Bush. I would have voted for him over Gore in 2000 but I felt he was too old in 2008 especially. In 2012, Romney was all over the place and the economy was leveling out and I felt we were doing well and stablilizing. I trusted Obama over Romney and so voted for Obama again. I didn't particularly dislike Romney or Ryan and felt they would have been okay but Obama was already the president and I felt he should get another 4 years. He was more experienced in 2008 and I think I and the majority of the country made the best choice in both election years. I didn't think much of him being the "first black president" for either elections. It is something, that of course, will be a blurb, but for me that was not important. I actually was more in Hillary Clinton's corner in 2008 but was happy that Obama got ahead of her. Today, like back then, I am soured on Clintons and I feel we have had enough Clintons (and Bush's) as president.
3 - My life was good 8 years ago and is good today. I have a wonderful family (husband and kids) and a good, solid, middle class American life. That said, I make WAY more money today than I did in 2008-2009 via my career. In a way I was given that opportunity, via my career, based on an initiative of Obama's, the "Stimulus" also known ARRA. I was hired due to a large workload at the company I worked at was experiencing as a result of the money put into the economy via the stimulus money. That job (I was hired as a lowly admin assistant to help with contract management of dollars spent with ARRA funds) led me to becoming a procurement and contract manager and a consultant over these 8 years so career wise I do have Obama's initiatives to credit for allowing that company to have the funds to hire me due to ARRA money. "Thanks Obama!!" But day to day, I have had a great life for the past 15 years since I have been with my husband. I don't put much stock into political stuff in my "real" life.
4 - I don't think race relations have bettered or worsened since the 1980s. I think Obama's presidency though and social media in general allowed more internally, racially biased people to be more vocal about their prejudices and racism. But many of the "race" issues that are happening today have always been happening in America. I am an amateur historian, especially of the last 100 - 150 years and nothing much changed for black people in this country until the 1970s and since then, things have remained the same.
5 - Yes I would vote for him quickly! I am an independent and I don't like anyone running right now. Obama is stability IMO and he has done a good job with our economy, which to me is the most important thing for the President to do.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did, and I even gave examples in which such would apply: a known increased risk.

Driving an automobile while under the influence, extremely tired, or otherwise impaired = higher risk of automobile accident death

The point is, we make choices every day that could result in bad outcomes, it does not mean we are choosing those bad outcomes. I honestly can not believe you are arguing this very basic understanding of human reasoning. You are the one having trouble with common sense with your contortions and manipulations to protect your unreasonable belief that addiction is a choice.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Do some people just completely lack common sense? Serious question...

Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Like I said, you double down with these contortions and manipulations.
Nothing I said is a contortion. They're all factually verifiable.

To recap:

Using a drug known to be addictive is a PERSONAL CHOICE. Period.

How do you not know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies