Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:21 AM

285 posts, read 176,786 times

Advertisements

Relatively speaking, American media remains intolerant of nudity and profanity to the point of "over-the-top" censorship.

People are ranting about political correctness all the time in this sub-forum, but I am yet to witness anyone challenge the excessive watering down of news and entertainment in the United States. Why?

In Europe, they usually won't touch songs on the radio. Dropping an "F-bomb" is no big deal. On the other hand, I often encounter U.S. broadcasters censoring words that are barely even profane. Are people that sensitive?

How can a culture that is loud and proud about "free speech" be so comfortable with regulating art? Also, when people get up at award shows and have something to say, I want to hear them – not a bunch of bleeps.

If violence is acceptable, then why isn't profanity? Why isn't nudity?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Anyone who believes America has become intolerant of profanity has rocks for brains.
Unfortunately, profanity/vulgarity has crept into everyday speech and conversation.

"Censorship" Not using vulgarity is censorship?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 AM

53 posts, read 34,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
Relatively speaking, American media remains intolerant of nudity and profanity to the point of "over-the-top" censorship.

People are ranting about political correctness all the time in this sub-forum, but I am yet to witness anyone challenge the excessive watering down of news and entertainment in the United States. Why?

In Europe, they usually won't touch songs on the radio. Dropping an "F-bomb" is no big deal. On the other hand, I often encounter U.S. broadcasters censoring words that are barely even profane. Are people that sensitive?

How can a culture that is loud and proud about "free speech" be so comfortable with regulating art? Also, when people get up at award shows and have something to say, I want to hear them – not a bunch of bleeps.

If violence is acceptable, then why isn't profanity? Why isn't nudity?

How is being rude, vulgar and crass considered art?
If you wouldn't say it in front of your mom or the pope, why say it at all.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Anyone who believes America has become intolerant of profanity has rocks for brains.
Unfortunately, profanity/vulgarity has crept into everyday speech and conversation.

The fact that there was more public outrage over Janet Jackson at the SuperBowl than over bloody, wasteful, unnecessary wars of choice says the OP has a point.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:

This post indicates that you likely do not consume media that originates from outside of the United States.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivininRoc85 View Post
You are still outraged over that? Man, bro, get over it already
Yes, I AM outraged that so many Americans think a bare nipple is the work of SATAN! while at the same time having no problem seeing young Americans returned home in body bags or maimed for life after being sent off to unnecessary wars of no benefit to the country.

And I hope I always will be.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Derry Destroyer View Post
Are the most critically acclaimed films ever not considered "art" merely because they might happen to contain a few words that aren't easy to the ears? You see, this is my point. Anything mildly discomforting for Americans is either discarded or watered down.

Why is this? What are people afraid of?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Every possible kind of perversion can be found online for free. So, who cares if something on tv is censored when you can find your dirt easily with a few clicks.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:

Maybe some people are needing more to do with their already boring life......the things some people actually worry about, all day long!

I am not sure where we are lacking in this.......after all, sex trade is never discussed in our country and seems to be tolerated by many.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:54 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Derry Destroyer View Post

If you wouldn't say it in front of your mom or the pope, why say it at all.
What kind of standard is that?

"If you wouldn't have sex with your mom or the pope, why have it at all?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies