Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:29 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Don't you know the left is allowed to be intolerant because they are enlightened. only the right is expected to be tolerant it does not apply them and they never see their own hypocrisy.
Is intolerance of intolerance truly intolerant?

Does tolerating Nazism make somebody a good person? No. Does tolerating a view you personally disagree with but it not objectively wrong or evil make you a good person? Yes.

Simple.

If you disagree with the principles of gay marriage because you feel marriage serves a specific utility that only works between members of the opposite sex, I'll respect that. I'll disagree with it on the ground that I do not feel you have a right to define other people's marriages, to which the supreme court agrees with me on, but I'll respect you and your right to hold that view. But if your opposition to gay marriages comes from your dislike of gay people, I'll tell you you are **** becasue that's exactly what you are. ****. To dislike someone on the grounds of who they are attracted to is wrong and unfair to that person and is based on nothing of substance; only personal prejudice. I do not think it's acceptable to abstain a service, rather that's a privilege or a right, on the basis of you not liking them. It goes against egalitarianism and classical liberalism, both of which are principles America was founded on. It often goes against the Christian faith, which many who hold such a view are a part of, as Jesus was not an ******* who believe it was ok to mistreat or harass people becasue they are sinners. On the contrary, he said to love sinners. Because they are people.

I'm tolerant of political views unless those views promote mistreating or dehumanizing people. If you think that makes me a hypocrite, fine. I don't give a ****. Because why would I? Odds are, if you feel that way, you hold a political view that promotes or validates mistreating or dehumanizing people. And I think that makes you a bad person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And? Like you and every right-winger out there wouldn't have a ten-minute orgasm if Obama died? Please.
Are you one of those serial killers, by any chance? Someone like Ed Gein or the Unibomber comes to mind when I read what you write.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Scalia was a scumbag that made a career out of spewing hatred. The hatred he displayed in his recent dissenting opinions on gay rights issues were appalling. He allowed his personal religious beliefs to taint his legal reasoning.

If the universe has a sense of justice and humor, Scalia is roasting in hell as we speak after discovering that his god is actually an African American pro choice lesbian that hates judges that believe innocent people should still be executed for "procedural reasons".

Our country is just a little bit better today with that racist, bigoted, extremist nutcase off the bench.
Spewing hatred? You, on the other hand, seem to be made out of love. Hahaha. It's funny to read this stuff. People who seem to be suffering from some sort of pathological anger accusing others of such things.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Is intolerance of intolerance truly intolerant?

Does tolerating Nazism make somebody a good person? No. Does tolerating a view you personally disagree with but it not objectively wrong or evil make you a good person? Yes.

Simple.

If you disagree with the principles of gay marriage because you feel marriage serves a specific utility that only works between members of the opposite sex, I'll respect that. I'll disagree with it on the ground that I do not feel you have a right to define other people's marriages, to which the supreme court agrees with me on, but I'll respect you and your right to hold that view. But if your opposition to gay marriages comes from your dislike of gay people, I'll tell you you are **** becasue that's exactly what you are. ****. To dislike someone on the grounds of who they are attracted to is wrong and unfair to that person and is based on nothing of substance; only personal prejudice. I do not think it's acceptable to abstain a service, rather that's a privilege or a right, on the basis of you not liking them. It goes against egalitarianism and classical liberalism, both of which are principles America was founded on. It often goes against the Christian faith, which many who hold such a view are a part of, as Jesus was not an ******* who believe it was ok to mistreat or harass people becasue they are sinners. On the contrary, he said to love sinners. Because they are people.

I'm tolerant of political views unless those views promote mistreating or dehumanizing people. If you think that makes me a hypocrite, fine. I don't give a ****. Because why would I? Odds are, if you feel that way, you hold a political view that promotes or validates mistreating or dehumanizing people. And I think that makes you a bad person.
Well, your world-view is based on the belief that you are an objectively Good Person and anyone who disagrees with you is an objectively Bad Person. Which makes you an insufferable douche.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:54 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And? Like you and every right-winger out there wouldn't have a ten-minute orgasm if Obama died? Please.

Resigned, yes.
Died, no.

Seems this thread found a good twitter link for you to pile on with.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Well, your world-view is based on the belief that you are an objectively Good Person and anyone who disagrees with you is an objectively Bad Person. Which makes you an insufferable douche.
Not at all. You can disagree with me on a lot and still be a good person. My only qualifier for good person status is you treat other humans with dignity and respect without arbitrary restrictions. Something like, being different, is an arbitrary reason to have a warped opinion of someone.

I'm pro-choice. I don't think people who are pro-life are bad people. I support gay marriage. I don't think people who oppose it are bad people. However, your reasoning for holding those views can change rather or not I would say someone is a good person. If your opposition to gay marriage exists becasue you don't consider gay people to be human enough, I think you're a bad person. If your opposition to gay marriage is more personal religion or the utility of marriage, I still disagree with you and think your argument is flimsy, but I wouldn't say that makes someone a bad person.

More on that, even if you're a Nazi, I wouldn't advocate mistreating you. You can call me a hypocrite or 'an insufferable douche' (name calling; lovely) for saying someone is a bad person, but unlike a Neo-nazi, I would never support or condone or respect the idea that people who I think are bad be mistreated or dehumanized. Rather I like it or not, I have to understand that people who I find despicable are still just as human as I am and therefore entitled to the same rights as anyone else. I will respect a person's right to say gay people are less that human; I will not respect that opinion though and will make no apology for calling out that person as a bad person.

Also worth noting, I do not consider being a 'bad person' to be a terminal condition. A bad person can become a good person and vice versa. Nor do I really support completely absolute morality. A person who considers black people to be objectively inferior and not deserving of rights but also volunteers at a soup kitchen every Sunday has good and bad traits. I think people should be viewed with all of their traits and actions, not just one. Though, certain negative traits must be called out and continually so until that negative trait changes. So if your surface level criticism of what I said is based on my assertion of absolutism, fine. That's valid (though I do not think that was the thought process you underwent when making your comment). I have now cleared that up. You may now go back to pretending you have some big philosophical disagreement with me to cover up the fact that you don't like a political opinion I shared so you reject my rather fair philosophy of expecting people to treat other people with dignity all together.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Resigned, yes.
Died, no.

Seems this thread found a good twitter link for you to pile on with.
To be fair, most liberals probably would have the same thing to say about Scalia or Thomson. I know I won't miss Scalia being on the Supreme Court, but by no means am I happy he's dead. I wouldn't wish death on anyone, nor do I think people who do are good people. It's a terrible thing to be glad about the loss of a human life, especially if your dislike for that person is in response to rather small things, like political disagreement.

But don't pretend that there aren't insane people who would like to see Obama die. Of course they don't represent conservatives as a whole. But neither do the people who are making death jokes about Thomson.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:26 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh pulleaze! You are pulling stuff off of "twitchy"? Seriously?

You pull total garbage off of a dedicated liberal hating website that quotes morons on Twitter, and expect a real response?

Get real--your hysterics don't fly here. If you've got something real on liberals--let's hear it. This is crap, gossip and your subsequent leap of logic (reflecting zero logic).

Michelle Malkin Sells Twitchy to Owner of TownHall and Hot Air | Mediaite

Who is funding Twitchy.com?
Twitchy once disparaged a friend of mine over a tweet that said people shouldn't shop on Black Friday because racism is never okay. The dolts never read her other tweets, which showed she was a store manager who fancied herself to be a humorist.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Are you one of those serial killers, by any chance? Someone like Ed Gein or the Unibomber comes to mind when I read what you write.
Translation: I can't refute your point, so I'm going to make some random nonsense up to deflect.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:52 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I would be interested to see where Thomas mistreated or dehumanized anyone, do you have any? If you are talking about his dissent I am not seeing it. After re reading it is my understanding that his opinion is liberty and dignity should be shielded from the gvt and not provided by the gvt. I would think he is looking at post 14th amendment. If this makes him a hater does he hate his own race?

My point is there is a double standard if Thomas would have been left leaning this thread would have went viral with posters saying see more right wing hate and being intolerant . Both hatred and intolerance is a human condition and hits people from both sides of the aisle. I grew up in a city that is a democratic strong hold and believe me racism and anti gay is alive and well.

Myself and many other posters live by the creed you treat me with respect and you get respect right back. Is there racist and gay haters in the forum? I am sure there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies