Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:37 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

Don't you all get the reason for this thread?, it is a response to those that post threads blasting about why a CEO of Google or wallstreet gets extra X amount more compared to other employees.

The correct way to look at it in this premise is why does the actor get $30 million and the guy behind the camera only get $100,000? If it was not for cameraman the film wouldn't be shot right? I mean the camera man worked hard spending massive amount of hours on the set why such income equality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:52 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
We all need to realize that every product that is advertised on tv during a sports event pays the salary of ballplayers. We are paying it every time we buy that product.

The players and performers are probably corporations with 10 employees.

Corporate boards are incestuous things. All interlocking directors voting to up each other's pay, all the while telling shareholders it is due to competition. There were plenty of folks there who could do the job, better and way cheaper. Besides, Officers only get told what the staff wants them to hear.

DH used to write proposals for the officers and directors. His group used a program that measured education level of paper. If he wanted the company to do something they wrote at 5th. grade level. If no, they wrote it at college level. So much for big pay to the smartest one in the room.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
Aware

Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Don't you all get the reason for this thread?, it is a response to those that post threads blasting about why a CEO of Google or wallstreet gets extra X amount more compared to other employees.

The correct way to look at it in this premise is why does the actor get $30 million and the guy behind the camera only get $100,000? If it was not for cameraman the film wouldn't be shot right? I mean the camera man worked hard spending massive amount of hours on the set why such income equality?
But it's apples and porcupines.

The cameraman does not sell the movie. It's a marketing ploy to get high profile actors who are active in the media, regardless of whether they are promoting that particular movie or not. Actors sell movies, and in rebroadcast, dvd sales, streaming not just in box office take. You can't buy that kind of marketing.

I will bet you that there are directors that would rather have a better actor than a famous one, but that's a fight they often lose when it's proposed to the studio. A no name actor has no legs as opposed to a well known actor, unless the movie is exceptional enough to carry a newcomer.

And, there is CEO in the picture, and the pay rates of the crew are decided by them, not the actors. Those studios don't run themselves. The actor is just a part of the machine. And only the very few make it that level with any longevity.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM

674 posts, read 611,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
But it's apples and porcupines.

The cameraman does not sell the movie. It's a marketing ploy to get high profile actors who are active in the media, regardless of whether they are promoting that particular movie or not. Actors sell movies, and in rebroadcast, dvd sales, streaming not just in box office take. You can't buy that kind of marketing.

I will bet you that there are directors that would rather have a better actor than a famous one, but that's a fight they often lose when it's proposed to the studio. A no name actor has no legs as opposed to a well known actor, unless the movie is exceptional enough to carry a newcomer.

And, there is CEO in the picture, and the pay rates of the crew are decided by them, not the actors. Those studios don't run themselves. The actor is just a part of the machine. And only the very few make it that level with any longevity.

Well, except, you sort of are buying that kind of marketing. That's the whole point. (I know that's what you meant, of course!)

It's not that a $50 million actor does a better job than a $5 million actor. It's that the $50 million gets people to go watch the movie, because they see the higher price tag makes something look better, like an Apple computer. Basically, pay an actor $50 million under the assumption that doing so will raise your profits (now or in the future) by more than that.

And hey, the money has to go somewhere.

Frankly, I care more about whether actors are good role models than about how much money they make. A few people in the world making a bunch of money for creating art doesn't really bother me. Jackie Chan's job has been, for many years, to make millions of people happy, and he worked really hard to get to where he is. I don't mind if doing so makes him rich.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:03 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,994 times
Deleted

Old 02-17-2016, 04:33 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I thought it was a joke or a Microsoft search engine fan. Apparently i was wrong. Such a person truly exists.
Sometimes it is amazing Americans know soooo little about China.
Bingbing Fan is one of the most popular actresses in China. Her news is on Chinese media all the time, and she is famous in other Asian countries too. However 99.9% Americans never heard of her. And people think it is normal.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Sometimes it is amazing Americans know soooo little about China.
Bingbing Fan is one of the most popular actresses in China. Her news is on Chinese media all the time, and she is famous in other Asian countries too. However 99.9% Americans never heard of her. And people think it is normal.
Most Americans cannot name their Congreesman or any state legislators.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We all need to realize that every product that is advertised on tv during a sports event pays the salary of ballplayers. We are paying it every time we buy that product.

The players and performers are probably corporations with 10 employees.

Corporate boards are incestuous things. All interlocking directors voting to up each other's pay, all the while telling shareholders it is due to competition. There were plenty of folks there who could do the job, better and way cheaper. Besides, Officers only get told what the staff wants them to hear.

DH used to write proposals for the officers and directors. His group used a program that measured education level of paper. If he wanted the company to do something they wrote at 5th. grade level. If no, they wrote it at college level. So much for big pay to the smartest one in the room.
I guess my question is how the company continues to do well with those people in charge...not saying you're wrong, though. It's just an interesting situation.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times
Here's my take on actors and athlete salaries, whatever they are, there are just a piece of a much bigger pie. And unlike many a CEO we can objectively value there contribution to the enterprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies