Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 10:02 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times

Advertisements

Apple ain't Microsoft.

The Deeper History of Microsoft and the Gates Family (Video)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
This should have quietly been done; not splashed all over the world. Those horrible people killed and injured so many people. One phone. Possibly thousands of answers. Our little genius kids in this country can help Apple, out, also. Would Steve Jobs acted so nutty? Since I am not a tech guru; I could be wrong. Just wish people would keep their mouths shut more often. Don't give hackers anymore ideas.

Would a hammer help?
I have mixed feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I agree with the Apple position. Privacy, really prevention of government's unfettered access to our privacy, and thus our lives now that we live in an electronic world, is to be denied; no matter how the government justifies the capability to intrude. We already know the government knows no bounds. There is more potential for abuse than any possible gain insecurity. It is no different than the attempted pecking away - gun show background checks, assault weapon and large capacity magazines - at our second amendment right.

Think the WC Fields joke about a woman being a prostitute. The fact was proven, they were just negotiating the price.
Well, at first I thought Apple was terrible for not agreeing; but once they open this Pandora's box - then every local official, sheriff or government official is going to want access to your phone just because they can.

It is a slippery slope

Old 02-18-2016, 10:07 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Apple has probably already given the Feds everything they wanted( from the get go) and is only pretending to be reluctant to do so now as a dog and pony show. The Feds will never admit to spying on anybody they want already. I don't trust Apple( or Google or Microsoft), they're in thick with the top levels of power and are working to shape society and the world economy towards desired ends. Not for the benefit of the common person, either.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
If they could only take a person, dead or alive and extract information from their brains, they would do it.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:17 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's why many spend so much time rooting them.
I don't think you are going to find ANYONE that has rooted their government or employer provided phone.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I definitely would NOT think that. Its a horrible security practice to store passwords so someone else has access to them. It shoots a major hole in the concept of even having a password if you do this.
1000's of employees who use company laptops and cells have IT departments that can get in the device even if the pw is changed. It's yet another California city/govt. screw-up.
Society is just so reactive instead of doing the right thing.
What will it take for Apple to do this ?? another Paris type attack or 9/11?
I hope the judge penalizes & fines them to the max.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
1000's of employees who use company laptops and cells have IT departments that can get in the device even if the pw is changed.
They are not going to bypass the protection on this device hence the reason the IT people at the FBI can't do it. It's specifically designed to prevent such an intrusion. The only way to bypass this protection is to create a recovery key when it's unlocked. That is something a government agency or business will be able to do before they issue the device.

Quote:
I hope the judge penalizes & fines them to the max.
What the government is asking the do is break into something they have made unbreakable to the best of their abilities. If Apple is able to break into their system it's flawed.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Default Cyber Militia!! Apple

Government cannot stand it, that a company has created a device they cannot crack open.

Like the militia's, the government will make Apple look like the bad guy here. When Apple is just protecting everyone privacy from government being able to intrude when they want.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:45 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
4th Amendment..
Judges a warrant to search papers and property.
Ok so the government has the phone.
Now they need someone to CRACK it.
Now no law should force APPLE or any company to CRACK it. IE if they had a SAFE in a house. Someone the government has to HIRE other experts to try and find a way to HACK or break into phones.

Now Apple could of their own free will because of the situation try and assist.
Otherwise Apple can tell them to go pound sand

Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
It is the government BentBow when have they been able to do anything correctly for that matter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies