Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:06 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
But in a nation like ours, which has accumulated a massive over-supply of labor since open-door immigration began in 1965...
There is open-door immigration to the US? News to me. If I hadn't been married to a US citizen, that door would have remained as shut as it is for most.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
I haven't seen 20 people in line in post offices that I use let alone 20 that can't speak English
^That's surprising, considering your town has quite a few illegal aliens. Plus, you have a Sheriff that is considered to be the second toughest Sheriff in the country. He is tough on illegal aliens. Or have the illegals left for greener pastures?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Our new American culture promotes diversity, individualism, and multiculturalism. The American culture you grew up with is obsolete. It's time for you to adapt or die.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:39 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Our new American culture promotes diversity, individualism, and multiculturalism. The American culture you grew up with is obsolete. It's time for you to adapt or die.
You're talking about pre-revolutionary American culture. No one on this forum grew up during that time.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
The old American culture promoted the same things.

Simply put, there was no time in which immigrants came to this country and sought to assimilate. Far from it. All groups tried extremely hard to hold onto their cultures, languages, religions, foods, etc. European immigrants especially took two or three generations to assimilate.

I know that the false narrative says otherwise, but it's a load of bull.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Simply put, there was no time in which immigrants came to this country and sought to assimilate. Far from it. All groups tried extremely hard to hold onto their cultures, languages, religions, foods, etc. European immigrants especially took two or three generations to assimilate.

There was a time when settlements did not promote diversity (perhaps what is referred to as old America). It wasn't until after the 1600's that diversity, individualism, and multiculturalism became a popular belief. It was a major reason that our ancestors pushed for the formation of the United States of America.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

That never happened. Our old culture was extremely bigoted and collectivist. Multiculturalism became a popular belief within the past 50 years and many white americans in the past were comically racist to the point that they would only considered northwestern europeans as white. The hispanics of the southwest and the cajuns and creoles had their language and identity ripped out of them and then were discriminated because of their ancestry. Native Americans were relocated off their reservations (which white americans originally pushed them onto) in an attempt to further destroy their culture and assimilate them. And of course we all know how badly blacks have been treated in this country.

Last edited by bruhms; 02-19-2016 at 01:01 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
That never happened. Our old culture was extremely bigoted and collectivist. Multiculturalism became a popular belief within the past 50 years and many white americans in the past were comically racist to the point that they would only considered northwestern europeans as white. The hispanos of the southwest and the cajuns and creoles had their language and identity ripped out of them and then were discriminated because of their ancestry. Native Americans were relocated off their reservations (which white americans originally pushed them onto) in an attempt to further destroy their culture and assimilate them. And of course we all know how badly blacks have been treated in this country.
This sounds nice but is inherently false. Just look at the people who were here during the revolutionary war. Consider the fact that pamphlets for the war were printed in multiple languages. This nation embraced multiculturalism before it was established. History doesn't lie.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
This sounds nice but is inherently false. Just look at the people who were here during the revolutionary war. Consider the fact that pamphlets for the war were printed in multiple languages. This nation embraced multiculturalism before it was established. History doesn't lie.
Sorry I meant to quote desertdetroiter. By old culture I meant late 19th century - early 20th century. American culture changed many times. It wasn't stagnant from the colonial days until the late 19th century lol. Not that I'm claiming you said that. Just saying.

Do you have a source for foreign language pamphlets? I've never heard of that.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:08 AM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
I like immigrants and the idea of immigrants. But more and more I have noticed that so many of them are struggling. Especially ones from Third World Countries who come from a culture, economy and political system so different than America. So many of them are completely befuddled by how to get things done in our complex society. Language prociency is a big issue, even if they speak English. They don't understand our language well enough to really communicate tough issues.

A trip to the Post Office this morning really left an impression on me. In line in front of was about 20 immigrants who seemed to have the hardest time figuring out how to handle their needs and questions. The Post Office staff seemed besides themselves trying to get the immigrants to understand. If it is so hard for them to have a package sent, I can't imagine how difficult it is for these immigrants to get a job, open a bank account, handle customer service problems and stop people from taking advantage of them.

I think the massive increase in new immigrants into our communities is well meaning but lowering the efficency and prosperity of our country.
I would suspect if they couldn't communicate even basic concepts they probably were not citizens. They couldn't have passed the test or requirements.

Tests You Will Need to Pass to Become a U.S. Citizen | Nolo.com

Get ICE and have them send them home. Oh wait...

Border Agents Ordered To Stand Down: 'Might As Well Abolish Immigration Laws' - Fox Nation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies