Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 11:11 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,502,919 times

Advertisements

Within 5 years, the born-agains will differentiate between "government marriage " and sanctified marriage.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,628,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
why can't consenting adults enter a group marriage?
The only problem I have with group marriage is that issues like property rights, inheritance, pensions/SS, and parental responsibility clearly have the potential to become hopelessly snarled. If some legal genius could invent a legal format that adequately addressed these and any other similar issues, I would be fine with it. SSM raised very few such issues.

Quote:
Or, 1 man with 1 donkey?
I'm not sure why so many people are confused by the idea that marriage is a legal contract between two consenting adults. The vast majority of us understand that this means two consenting adult humans. If you need a law to clarify this for you, then please contact your local legislator and get the ball rolling.

Quote:
There has to be a law that defines marriage. Maybe the gov't should get out of the marriage business altogether?
You can't have it both ways. If there must "be a law that defines marriage", then government is involved. (And in fact there are *many* laws that define marriage. How do you not know this?) If there is a law that regulates inheritance, then government is involved. If there is a law that defines and protects property rights, then government is involved. If there is a law regulating parental rights and responsibilities, then government is involved.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-20-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM

46,817 posts, read 25,726,880 times
So - any evidence of this "buyer's remorse" anywhere?

The trend has been pretty clear for decades, now.

Gay Marriage | Pew Research Center

Old 02-20-2016, 11:13 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,453,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
An issue cannot take a step backwards when it is against the rules of our Maker. It is dead in the water and just doesn't recognize it. I don't see it as an issue. It is a sin. Nobody has the power to change that. A sin is a sin and always be a sin. Deciding it is all right is above the SCOTUS pay grade.
Who are you to decide that something is a sin? Is not adultery a sin? Or eating pork? Are there not many sins in your Bible that you break, regularly? Why is it that same sex couples getting married or the LGBT community having equal rights under the law a sin? And why should any biblical belief be rendered into law and applicable to the entire population? Why must a Jew follow your tenets or anyone for that matter? You concept of sin and following it is your choice, it is not mandatory for everyone to follow your tenets, never was and never will be. SCOTUS decides on the law that we all follow, without regard to any bible or biblical belief, their decisions are based on law, not fantasy or sin.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Within 5 years, the born-agains will differentiate between "government marriage " and sanctified marriage.
Like pro wrestling fans insisting the spectacle is real...

Old 02-20-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
An issue cannot take a step backwards when it is against the rules of our Maker. It is dead in the water and just doesn't recognize it. I don't see it as an issue. It is a sin. Nobody has the power to change that. A sin is a sin and always be a sin. Deciding it is all right is above the SCOTUS pay grade. All the legal documents in the world will not change the fact of something that is against the natural order of the universe. Dream on!
Don't like same sex marriage? Fine. Marry someone of the opposite sex.

Problem solved.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
An issue cannot take a step backwards when it is against the rules of our Maker. It is dead in the water and just doesn't recognize it. I don't see it as an issue. It is a sin. Nobody has the power to change that. A sin is a sin and always be a sin. Deciding it is all right is above the SCOTUS pay grade. All the legal documents in the world will not change the fact of something that is against the natural order of the universe. Dream on!
If you want the rules of your Maker to have the force of law, you may have ended up in the wrong country. But I understand Russia is coming around to your way of thinking.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 AM

50,237 posts, read 23,861,466 times
Quote:
Todd" if you don't follow the bible then how can you be a Christian? And, who said that I am a fundie? I try to do whats right in God's eye. You don't even have to be religious to do this. Right is right, and wrong is wrong. Most of us learned this in kindergarten.
So, when we legalize gay marriage, we are essentially endorsing it. That is why many Americans are upset. We have embraced a sinful, immoral "marriage".
If homosexuals want to live that lifestyle then they can, it's their choice. But, let's not pretend that it's ok with God.
1. I doubt very much that you learned the Bible in kindergarten.
2. What you may have learned in kindergarten, but obviously never understood, was the Golden Rule -- do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
3. Based on your posts, I say you talk as a fundie talks.
4. No, right is not right, and wrong is not wrong. Right and wrong are subjective terms and they vary from culture to culture. But if we want to falsely believe that right is right and wrong is wrong, then the spewing of hate is wrong.
5. At this point, a minority of Americans are "upset" about legalizing gay marriage, in part because they're beginning to realize when 2 gay people get married, it doesn't change their own lives at all.
6. Let's not pretend that any of us knows what God really thinks.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
?????That distinction already exists, and always has in this nation.

We know this because marriage licenses are issued by the state. People who wish their marriage to be sanctified then get a religious ceremony. Some of those religious ceremonies are performed in churches which have much more stringent requirements for marriage than the state does - requirements regarding virginity, past marriages, past adultery, partner's religion, child-raising, grounds for divorce, etc. No one bats an eye.

How do you not know this?

(Also, google up "covenant marriage", which is a real thing in at least a couple of states.)

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-20-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 11:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,746,760 times
Quote:
So is banning it. It's not the government's place to define what is sin and what isn't. When I say this, most fundies will respond with "well murder and rape are sin and the are illegal." Those involve violating and inflicting harm on another person and that should be illegal. Homosexuality is between two consenting adults. If you believe same-sex marriage is a sin, don't allow it in your church or don't attend a church that favors it. You do realize there are a lot of churches that are fine with same-sex marriage and will even perform the ceremony. Now you may believe that is an abomination, but that isn't a place for the government to get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies