Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 01:01 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
First of all, being gay is not a lifestyle, no matter how many times you say it. Second, the people do not have the right to vote on the rights of any minority, ever. Third, it is not a perversion. Fourth, being Christian does not give one the right to trump the law. Fifth, it is not immoral to be gay. Sixth, it does not affect society for gays to be gay. Seventh, the problem is that Christians want to force others to obey their tenets of their bible and that violates every ones freedom of religion.
You couldn't be more wrong on all counts.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:07 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
And there is your problem. You are an ignorant, hateful remnant of a bygone era. The fact is that most of the country no longer agrees with you that it is an "amoral, perverted lifestyle that chips away at the very foundation of our society."
Wrong.
Quote:
Love is love. The "amoral, perverted lifestyle that chips away at the very foundation of our society" is your hateful bigotry. Thankfully we as a country are evolving past that.
It isn't bigotry. Was Jesus Christ a bigot?

We are on a path to destruction, and it can be directly linked to the abandonment of morals and turning away from God, the Creator of all things.

The foundation of our laws, and our society, was the Christian faith. That is a fact.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:10 PM

677 posts, read 652,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zum View Post
These so called "Christians" who support sodomy are going to get a rude wake up call when their Jesus comes back to judge the world on the Last Day.
Or maybe it will be the fundamentalist modern day pharisees who hate the poor, hate brown people, hate others ... you see there was one people who Jesus in His life was pretty unfriendly towards and had very harsh words for. And it was people exactly like you.

Quote:
You claim to be a "Christian". Why should anyone view your personal interpretation of the Bible as right?
The same could be asked of you of you. But then this isn't the right forum to exegete ancient texts.

Quote:
Sure they are. Never heard of the Klein's in Oregon, or Kim Davis? How about the other Christian small business owners who have been bullied because the intolerant "LGBT" bigots want to force them to violate their conscience?
You don't have a right to discriminate, and especially not when you are working for the government and it is your specified duty to uphold the rules of this government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
When you work for the government, you have to abide by government policy whether or not you agree with it or not. If you are morally opposed to war, you don't join the military. If you do, you are expected to fight regardless of your personal belief. If Kim Davis couldn't do the job without violating her conscience, she should have let somebody else sign the documents in her stead or resigned from the position. She had no case.

In terms of the Klein's, there is more to that story than what you've heard on Fox News or from Mike Huckabee. It wasn't simply a case of a sweet, innocent baker couple refusing to do a same-sex wedding cake.

Sweet Cakes by Melissa Didn’t Just Deny a Lesbian Couple Service, They Also Doxxed Them and Their Kids
Perfectly said, spot on, thanks you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The 27th amendment.

The 26th amendment.

And I was legal voting age for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Take your religion to the appropriate forum, it does not matter when it comes to law. Being gay is not a choice, having a religion is and using it to judge and condemn others is a violation of the 1st.
And more ignorance from the ignorant exposed. Thank you. It's like earlier when he was commending Manny Paq's comments about animals and guys, ignoring the fact that homosexual behaviors exist in thousands of animals. Fundies are immune to facts, and it's no surprise either - facts are notoriously liberally biased

Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 PM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wrong.

It isn't bigotry. Was Jesus Christ a bigot?

We are on a path to destruction, and it can be directly linked to the abandonment of morals and turning away from God, the Creator of all things.

The foundation of our laws, and our society, was the Christian faith. That is a fact.

you can't hang your hat on the Christian faith, not all people in the us believe. the law is applied to all equally, even the ones you don't approve of. lady justice is blind for a reason.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Look at abortion. SCOTUS stuffed Roe v Wade down the publics throat in 1973. That's 43 years ago and people are still fighting over it. Instead of going state by state for a consensus vote the LGBT crowd used the SCOTUS to shove gay marriage down the publics throat. I'll bet 43 years from now people will still be fighting over abortion and gay marriage. Especially if a sizable Muslim population develops in the US.
Nothing has been shoved down anyone's throat just because those two decisions have allowed people more personal freedom and, in the case of same sex marriage, has reduced what had been highly systematized discrimination and bigotry.

This "shoved down the people's throats" line is nothing but hyperbolic nonsense.

But it's good to know you support huge nanny-state, Big Brother-style government. How super for you.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wrong.
Stats? Proof?

Quote:
Was Jesus Christ a bigot?
Nobody knows, but based on his own (alleged) words, he DID say not to judge others.

Quote:
That's silly. It clearly all started when we moved away from the Greco-Roman pantheon of gods. You think Zeus is going to be happy when he's thrown over for the patron deity of some sects of ancient desert-dwelling Hebrews? I would think not! And that is why the world will end--in flashes of Zeus-flung lightning bolts.

Quote:
You could not possibly BE more incorrect. Is there a reason why anyone here should take you seriously?

Old 02-19-2016, 02:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Or maybe it will be the fundamentalist modern day pharisees who hate the poor, hate brown people, hate others ... you see there was one people who Jesus in His life was pretty unfriendly towards and had very harsh words for. And it was people exactly like you.
Modern-day fundies are very comparable to Biblical Pharisees, whom Jesus had the harshest words for. They place themselves on pedestals and throw stones at those they see as less righteous than them. It spreads beyond LGBT issues, though the LGBT community is their focus because they are an easy target. That is why it seems like they place so much more weight on the Old Testament and letters from Paul than they do the actual words of Christ.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:25 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Speaking of nonsense - your post is full of it.
1. You must have intimate access to the brains of all homosexuals in order to make this statement. Exactly how do you have such access? The fillings in your teeth pick up the thoughts of all homosexuals everywhere?
2. The rest of us just have to make do with what homosexual people say - they wanted the legal rights/responsibilities that marriage confers.
3. Actually, their attempts to change the minds of most Americans on this issue worked pretty well. Because SCOTUS followed public opinion here, it didn't lead. You're just a holdout.
4. The cognitive dissonance is all yours. Most Americans simply don't buy the argument that government should have the power to tell you which independent non-married adult you can marry. If you need a government to tell you this, you might be happier living in a somewhat different society.
5. And exactly who set you up as the arbiter of what's normal? I must have missed the memo that said before I make any decision, I must check in with you first to make sure I'm normal. I'm surprised you have any time to spend posting on c-d when you are responsible for telling so many people what's normal and what's not.
6. Believe what you like. Just don't expect the law to conform to your beliefs.
If you can't tell the difference between arithmetic and human emotion - well, no wonder you're so confused.

1. Statists are statists. No real mystery behind the motive.

2. Homosexuals wanted to eliminate the stigma of homosexuality and many believe the state granting permission to marry a member of their own sex will remove that stigma.

Since they couldn`t get the voters in most states to play along, they went behind our backs to the courts to force it on us.

3. Maybe, but we'll never know what might have happened because the SC overruled the people.

4. So why get a state issued marriage license?

"Most Americans" didn`t direct their state legislatures to pass a law to discontinue issuing marriage licenses because government shouldn`t "have the power to tell you which independent non-married adult you can marry."

If that was their belief, their actions didn`t match that belief.

5. What is normal is obvious.

Contradicting the obvious takes time, effort and, in the case of same-sex marriage, intervention by five unelected justices acting against the expressed will of the people and in defiance of the Constitution.

6. The law is arbitrary.

That`s why what is obvious, like there is no provision in the Constitution for judicial review or for same-sex marriage, doesn`t need a law to make it true.

This was already true.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:35 PM

There is absolutely, inarguably, no reason whatsoever--not one single reason--to oppose same sex marriage or be offended or disgusted by homosexuality that is not based on hatred, fear, ignorance, bigotry, or some combination of those things.

Not a single one.

To wish to preclude two consenting adults from marrying based solely on their gender is the very definition of discrimination and bigotry.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 22,098,104 times
First off, I am not a Christian. I do believe that sodomy is a sin no matter who commits it. I am not pro-LGBT BUT, I also believe in separation of church and state. I don't want to end up like the Muslim countries where we scapegoat and blame our country's problems on any demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you can't hang your hat on the Christian faith, not all people in the us believe. the law is applied to all equally, even the ones you don't approve of. lady justice is blind for a reason.
Exactly and everyone needs to be aware and voting because there is a pot boiling beneath the surface with the fundamentalists. Some are over the top. Sure, you hear "religious liberties" and that sounds fine. My ancestors came here for religious freedom among other things. That should be preserved. BUT, that is not what some are talking about. I was horrified to see and then read articles regarding what they were actually thinking and 3 POTUS hopefuls brought me to this information:

https://freedom2015.org/

'Death Penalty For Gays' Literature At Right-Wing Conference | Right Wing Watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1IXDrXgV0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Modern-day fundies are very comparable to Biblical Pharisees, whom Jesus had the harshest words for. They place themselves on pedestals and throw stones at those they see as less righteous than them. It spreads beyond LGBT issues, though the LGBT community is their focus because they are an easy target. That is why it seems like they place so much more weight on the Old Testament and letters from Paul than they do the actual words of Christ.
Correct. Look at Cruz and what he has been pulling, the lies and cheating, and he condemns the sins of the LGBT community. Sin is sin. If we want to take out murderers and child molesters, I can get onboard with that since they have let their sin victimize and harm another person.

I attended two different Christian churches earlier in my long life and I NEVER, EVER heard this hatred and inciting to take out any demographic.

I am pro- "if you don't victimize someone else, do as wish sin or not". There are radicals on the issue on both sides and they cause most of the trouble while those in the middle just live and let live.

Religious freedom should mean exactly that, to follow any or no religion at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies