Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 07:32 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Government phones paid for by the tax payer. Very expensive government phones to buy the people's votes.
The program originated a long time before Obama: Who Started the Obama Phone?

But, of course, the right-wing only responded in outrage when the black guy was elected.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:40 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What exactly is it that the Dem party do to help the black population?
Quick, name 5 conservatives arrested as civil rights activists during the civil rights era. I'll give you Ed Koch and Charlton Heston as a starter. Give up?

So, with the progressive wing gone from the GOP, it does not really reflect minority aims or aspirations, does it? After Reagan started his political career opposing open housing and went on to oppose the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, when exactly did Republicans become concerned with the concerns of minorities?

Last edited by Manigault; 02-21-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 09:17 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
You sure put a lot of effort into not answering my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think you understand the point being made.

Each party promises its constituents "stuff". Some of it is tangible "stuff" to procure votes, such as the long-standing GOP support of farm bills which led to the strong voter base the party has in parts of the Midwest farm belt. Some of it is emotional satisfaction, such as when Republican Party politicians hit all the hot button issues that their constituents love to hear (watch the debates and townhalls and you can make your own list, but it's virtually the same list each time around; in fact, it's predictable now). The promises make the base intellectually salivate and whip up voter interest.

Right now, and in fact for decades, the Republican Party is putting forth a "product" that most Blacks aren't interested in "buying". It's not really much different than when a company is selling a product that the public stops buying. It's not unlike American car companies whose market share continually declined a few decades ago, until they realized they had to put out a different product and they had to win back buyers. The problem is that Republicans will say (as they did after the last presidential election) we need to build a bigger tent. But then they don't actually do it, because they are spending all their time repeating what they always say to the base. You don't attract Black voters by saying the kind of things you find in the following posts:

# 3: “Education levels are lower among blacks. They've learned over the years to do what their masters (Democrats) tell them.”

# 11: “Money and welfare. Blacks think the Democrats will continue to give them more and more money and welfare.”

# 23: “Not only do Democrats promise them lots of free stuff, they also tell them that nothing is their fault, that they are helpless victims and deserve other people's stuff. A lot of powerful lies, and the Democrats excel at lying while a large percentage of the Black population shows considerable lack of discernment in a lot of things they do which makes them susceptible.”

# 30: “Many believe that since their ancestors were brought here against their will, the US is responsible for supporting all future generations so they will sign up for every freebie they can get. They live in a "cash economy" to hide their assets so as to not risk losing those benefits. They hide their money records from the government and pay their bills in cash.”

# 10: “They think it was Democrats that saved them, and the democrats made sure the ignorant dumbassas, didn't know any wiser.”

# 108: “Blacks line up with the racist democratic party.. the dems put them in public housing to keep them away from their white neighborhoods.. they must like it there. They keep telling them about the color of their skin that keeps them poor.”

# 100: “Pretty similar to the black slaves support of their Masters during the slave days...Master (Dems) give me shelter and food. Never mind that Masters and the Dem Party are profiting from their slaves and are morally wrong in their philosophy.”

Rarely does insulting a potential constituency win their votes. Let me repeat that: Rarely does insulting a potential constituency win their votes.

And in fact, it seems like Republicans actually enjoy digging the hole deeper. I began my adult life as a Republican. Albeit a Rockefeller Republican. I looked at 1964 and Goldwater as an aberration. But it wasn't. And over time I went from usually voting Republican, to sometimes voting for one party and sometimes the other, to mostly voting Democrat, to NEVER voting Republican. At this point, 48 years after I cast my first vote for Dick Nixon, I cannot imagine the Republican Party doing anything that could coax me back. And after listening to the debate and townhalls, and reading the posts in this forum and particularly this thread, I can't imagine the Republican Party changing its message to the point where it will win back any significant number of Black voters.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:18 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You keep trying to deny what's there.

But what's there is there.

I would think that if you want to attract Black voters you would realize that you have to change the product, and not just keep telling them what rotten, misguided people they are.
I am done responding to you because you either cannot comprehend what I am saying or asking or purposely dodge the question.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:01 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,961,914 times
Reparations for slavery or some other such ignorance

Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Not all Republicans are racists but most racists are Republicans. Plain and simple.
And there are a heck of a lot of them on CD.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:27 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
I would put a lot of blame on Barry Goldwater and the GOP in the early 60's for the initial switch of support from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party. Most Republicans at the time were against the civil rights act of 1964. Even today many conservatives are against things like affirmative action, there is a thread on it right now, and that makes not just blacks, but many minorities wary of the GOP and conservatives. Blacks and other minority's are not looking out for free handouts anymore then the average whites. If that was true Sanders would be getting all their support and not Clinton. But Sanders rallies have been predominantly young whites. I mean just read some of these posts and it's so incredibly demeaning to blacks, it's sickening. Last, where is the conservative outreach to blacks and minority's. The reason blacks sway to the Democrats is because they are willing to go to inner city neighborhoods and talk to blacks. Republicans don't even do this, how do you expect to win someone over if you don't communicate with them. Rand Paul got way too much publicity for attempting to reach out to blacks, that shouldn't even be something that gets publicized, every Republican candidate should be reaching out to minority's, not just a couple of them. Blacks were a central tenant to the Republican Party for decades, and that didn't change until the 60's.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
It's their choice as citizens of this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What is particularly pernicious about this post, and why the Black population as a whole never seems to get anywhere, is this exact same attitude that they'd rather let the Dems keep them down, under-educated, and therefore disproportionately perpetually poor, than vote for anyone who would actually do something to help them get ahead on their own.

Sheer ugliness of attitude.
Since when? AAs are doing better than they ever have. Africans, Afro-Caribbean and Afro-Latinos are making huge progress.

Africans are actually among the most educated immigrants, if not, the most.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 02-22-2016 at 06:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2016, 05:49 AM

89,003 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Since when? AAs are doing better than they ever have.
Wealth inequality has widened along racial, ethnic lines since end of Great Recession | Pew Research Center

Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
But they are still more affluent than in the past...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies