Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:02 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times

Advertisements

You need to have a physical border, plus you have to take away the jobs and the benefits of coming here. It has to be "comprehensive" but not in the sense it's been talked about in Congress where that means "amnesty".

Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,128,192 times
Need a wall. More border patrol. Drones. Military assistance(should be permanent.)

Everify. 800 number for citizens to report illegals working and living.

ICE raids and jail and fine employers, managers, bossess(anyone hiring or directly in charge of illegals) $25,000 fine per head and illegal immigration would dry up in about 4 seconds

Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
It's a gimmick.

Technology and boots on the ground can deal with the terror threat.. While, as others have mentioned, enforcing existing laws by deporting illegals and making sure that everyone participates in programs like E-Verify, along with a relaxation of immigration policies (Don't make it impossible for people who WANT to immigrate to come in, but don't open the floodgates, either) take care of much of the motivation for people to sneak across the border.

And, that's all done far cheaper than building a 1500 mile wall or whatever length it is.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:45 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I say this because I have lived in two border towns. We do trade with Mexico, and the border crossings take a long, long time. I have waited for 2 hours at the border trying to get home. They can't inspect every truck. Then there are tunnels under the border into towns in the U.S. Can't find them all. So why do you think a Wall is all we need. Now I am with Pope Francis on this, but I am curious to what people think? More border patrol. Stop trade with Mexico? Something I have not thought of?
Too bad mexicans hate their country so much, they disrespect it by leaving.

Too bad MX is not embarassed by people leaving in droves.

This is not comparable to NJ residents driving across the border to PA.

The murder rate in MX is thru the roof, drugs and gang members are coming into the US to destroy the country, US laws are disrespected. The OTM have to cross MX and MX does zero to prevent them from illegally crossing the border. MX gov is complicit with gangs in tearing down society in the US.

Mexico needs to be annexed.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:50 PM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
But we need an improved system vs e-verify which has over a 50% error rate. Unacceptable.

Need to stop the incentives that reward illegals such as social security, tax REBATES?, drivers license, lower college tuition, the list goes on.

The current POTUS concept is "just get here" and the rest of your needs will be given to you by the US government.

That's not what I have read. E-verify is supposedly about 96% accurate. Had a link I will look for it.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:53 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
But we need an improved system vs e-verify which has over a 50% error rate. Unacceptable.
A national ID card with proper anti-counterfeit measures would kinda solve that conundrum, but the right-wing outrage would be monumental.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 PM

63,005 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think we fail to learn from the Chinese and the Russians. The Great Wall of China did not stop the Huns and Mongols and other barbarian nomads from pouring into China and wreaking havoc. The ultra-totalitarianist Communist Russians and the puppet governments they setup in Eastern Europe were not able to entirely stop their people from fleeing to the West. They were only successful in trapping most of their people in because they were the most psychotic police state the world has ever seen. For a wall or barrier system alone to work, we'd need to become that crazy. I'd rather not ...

Sure we can build a wall, but we can't stop folks from going over or under or around it.
  • The USA needs to end the ridiculous War on Drugs. This will eliminate a huge part of the insanity and violence at our southern border.
  • We have got to figure out a better immigration system. As long as there's an incentive for folks to sneak into America, they will find a way. I'd rather send them through the front door so they're subject to the same wage and tax laws as everyone else. That put them into fair competition for work and has them contributing to the system as well.
  • Time to bring our military home from overseas bases and have them patrol the border. Defending America comes first.
The best solution attacks the problem from all angles IMHO.

A wall is a good deterrent. No one expects it to stop illegal immigration 100%. I had a link to the double wall that was erected on a certain segment of our southern border and it worked. The link doesn't work anymore, however. There are tunnel sensors that can be used also. We can only allow so many to come through the front door and that is why we have annual quotas. We cannot allow every foreigner who wants to come here to do so regardless of what door they use.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:08 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,591,329 times
Lot of good suggestions here, could add nests of M134 Gatling's with interlocking fields of fire, sensors that detect tunneling under the surface, beef up the Border Patrols, have give ICE 24/courts where captured illegals can get a hearing within hours of being caught, and buses idling in the parking lot ready to head out as soon as they get a load taking them back where they came from, or the nearest border they crossed.

As long as the illegals know nothing will happen to them if they get here, and lots of bleeding hearts will cry for them, they will keep coming.

Or, we could take a lesson from Mexico about how they handle illegal aliens in their country.
Mexico's Immigration Law: Let's Try It Here at Home | Human Events

Either way, the pope had no idea what he was talking about.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,242,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A national ID card with proper anti-counterfeit measures would kinda solve that conundrum, but the right-wing outrage would be monumental.
Voter registration cards would do the same but the vocal outrage from the left has been deafening and monumental.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:16 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Voter registration cards would do the same but the vocal outrage from the left has been deafening and monumental.
Cards are fine - it's setting up the process for acquiring one to benefit one group of voters over another that's the problem. But you knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies