Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:20 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

The cosmic physics gurus are working on figuring out the Big Bang but are still trying to fit the infinite into the infinitesimal. They will keep obsessing over this question while providing the rest of us with incomprehensible interim possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 03:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why do most welfare and drug people support Democrats?

Because they're mostly non-white and poor.

Once you control for demographic factors - race, education, income, sex, marital status, etc, welfare recipients aren't much politically different than the rest of us except they have lower voter turnout.

e.g. poor single black welfare recipients vote a lot like poor single black non-recipients.

p.s. for some subset of the poor - including myself - it's sometimes about taxes rather than handouts. Many states soak the poor with taxes and Republicans are more likely than Democrats to soak the poor with taxes. Put another way, many of the poor see Democrats as the party that will tax them less. However, as state and local budgets get tighter, Democrats are starting to soak the poor just like Republicans.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
If a high-profile person supports conservatism........the red-diaper long-knives come for their blood.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:37 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I know many deeply Christian people that are given great comfort by their faith. I envy the believers that extend help and goodness to all. I have no envy for the hateful that would force their beliefs on me to assuage their own uncertainty.

As an Atheist that does not believe any gods exist I am living in a completely indifferent universe dominated the laws of energy, gravity and space time. I know that universe will not answer any of my pleas for special consideration of forgive any of my misdeeds. The universe does not hear and my misdeeds are my own. So are the good things I have done for other people.

I am a well educated person and am a political and economic Liberal because Liberalism offers the greatest freedom for the individual to express their personalities without the repression offered by the Conservatives that insist that everyone conform to their one way to live. The root meaning of Liberalism is Liberty.

I do differ with my Liberal friends in that I strongly support the individual right to be able to protect themselves and others from violent assault. My extreme support of the right to keep and carry firearms is derived from this need for defense. I also support the individuals right to decide what to do with their own bodies. Consequently I support a woman's right to terminate a pregnancy. I oppose anyone that would dare force her to remain pregnant is she decides not to.

I also differ with my Liberal friends about the influx of Muslin immigrants to just about anywhere. They apparently will not assimilate with any part of the Western cultures. They also bring a level of violence against people they deem inferior that Europe and America has not seen since WW2. I have investigated this culture as an intellectual and I have to believe what they say about their faith and their goal of imposing their version of the one true religion on everyone using whatever means necessary including War.

As I mentioned earlier I am an atheist and I am certain they would most likely kill me for my independence. Therefor I consider them to be my and my culture's, including my Christian, Jewish, Catholic and other individuals, enemies. I did not make them my enemies. They did. The only logical answer is to eliminate them before they can do any more harm to us.

Yes, I realize this conclusion is as politically incorrect it is possible to be after the Nazi attempts to eliminate the Jews in Europe. The difference is the Jews of Europe did not offer any real threat to the people of Europe. This cannot be said of the Muslims.

I would like to hear any other way of stopping this threat.
Uh; GregW, you ain't a "lib" IMHO. You more left of center than me but not my much and I'm a Repub.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I agree, some left wingers are as intolerant as right wingers. This are generally the angry folks! And some Atheists can be militant atheists and as intransigent as right wing Evangelicals.
You picked up on that, too?! I've also run into some "Fundie" level atheists who are as bad or worse than the Jerry Falwell kind of "Christian".

Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I respect religious folks. In fact Scalia was highly religious, but Catholics tend not to be as passionate as Evangelicals and seem to accept others with no judgment.

Yes, religion is illogical and can be accepted by intelligent people as a form of philosophy, culture, or lifestyle. The only logical thing left in religion is trying to guess who was behind the BIG BANG.
Today's Catholics are a whole lot different as a group compared to even my grandparents who were a LOT closer to being "Fundies" back in the early 1980's.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:58 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
I need a definition for highly educated.

When my daughter came home from Rice after registration she was asked by her dad what was her major. She said, anthropology. He asked what kind of job she expected to get with that degree. She said she thought she was going to college to get an eduction not a work permit.

I see lots of young people coming from state universities with work permits. Ways to experience the world is about the same as they were in high school.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
What attracts intellectuals and highly educated to support Democrats?

Because they suck less than the Republicans.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:09 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Well, I think the answer OP was looking for comes from Mr Romney -

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ne...ot-his-/nSFDc/

Old 02-20-2016, 06:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why do most welfare and drug people support Democrats?

"Yes why do they"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies