Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 PM

7,635 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

I would like to see a list of issues that folks here consider important to them (may or may not affecting them directly personally), which may be voted by the Supreme Court, and which are the reasons they are concerned about SCOTUS appointments. Thanks. This is pure curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 11:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
The 1st and 2nd Amendment primarily. The 2nd was ruled an individual right by a single vote. Hobby Lobby was decided by a single vote. Citizens United by a single vote. We are one justice away from losing our right to bear arms and having religious freedom and political speech seriously infringed. This is why for the first time in a generation I encourage people in swing states to vote Republican. The lesser evil is a much lesser evil at this junction in history.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:08 AM

1,438 posts, read 779,113 times
I'm concerned that a conservative Supreme Court will hand everything over to corporate interests and the wealthy at the expense of ordinary Americans. Just look at Citizens United.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I'm concerned that a conservative Supreme Court will hand everything over to corporate interests and the wealthy at the expense of ordinary Americans. Just look at Citizens United.
The correct decision. We do not need political speech infringed and politicians deciding who and how much can be contributed to politicians.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:13 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Any range of issue is IMO generally best handled by a court that is 4 liberal 4 conservative with 1 liberal leaning swing vote. Because of the sheer number of appointments that the next president will be making, there could be a significant shift in everything as we know it from Campaign Finance, to Gerrymandering, Abortion, Civil Procedure (the conservative court has made it harder to sue in federal courts unfairly affecting small plaintiffs against large defendants in the last 10 years), search and seizure issues, Habeas Corpus it goes on.

Now that Bernie has IMO lost his steam in Nevada, SCOTUS needs to be recognized for the sheer level of importance it will play in our lives and for such a significant length.

The next president will likely replace two liberal, 1 strong conservative and one weak conservative/swing.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:32 AM

1,438 posts, read 779,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The correct decision. We do not need political speech infringed and politicians deciding who and how much can be contributed to politicians.
So you support legalized bribery of politicians? Interesting.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:43 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
1st, 2nd, 4th, and 14th Amendment issues - especially the 1st and the 4th. A conservative court would give even more power to the fundamentalist religious lunatics that are constantly trying to shove their beliefs down everyone else's throat, and move the country even closer to the totalitarian police state it is becoming.

But, at the same time, any erosion of the 2nd Amendment would be one of the most serious blows any court has ever rendered to our fundamental freedoms. This why I'm glad Scalia's vacancy (if it had to happen at all) occurred in an election year - I think it puts Obama in a position where he almost has to appoint a moderate.

I also agree that anything to do with campaign financing laws would be of paramount importance. Getting the big money out of politics is the only chance this country has to ever be free again, and even that's a pretty slim chance. But it's an enormous issue, one that will probably be on the docket in one form or another several times in the next few years.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
So you support legalized bribery of politicians? Interesting.
You oppose freedom of speech. Tyrannical.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:50 AM

7,635 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Now that Bernie has IMO lost his steam in Nevada,
I don't think anyone seriously expected Bernie to win in Nevada. Several weeks ago one might have expected something like a reversal of N.H., like 30-ish only for Bernie. The 47% seems to me a sign of his campaign success.

Back to the topic, it's pathetic that the SCOTUS can't be composed of mostly moderates. This country has too many "extremists".

Old 02-21-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I don't think anyone seriously expected Bernie to win in Nevada. Several weeks ago one might have expected something like a reversal of N.H., like 30-ish only for Bernie. The 47% seems to me a sign of his campaign success.

Back to the topic, it's pathetic that the SCOTUS can't be composed of mostly moderates. This country has too many "extremists".
The campaign is going South. Bernie has lost. You need at least 35% of the black vote to be competitive in a two (wo)man race. Plus the Hispanics do not care for him either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies