Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:07 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
76% of my property taxes pay for schools - and we have no children.
What is your neighborhood like? Lots of uneducated criminals running around tagging everything with gang signs? Lots of crime? Or is it middle class EDUCATED people trying to live a decent life.

Only half wits without children believe they don't benefit from other people's children being educated.

Man you talking point conservative/libertarian sheep are interesting in your sameness.

Parrot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Exactly. The property tax and public school detractors ignore the reality that good public schools are good for a local economy. Companies don't want to move into areas with bad schools, where their employees with young families wouldn't want to live. Further, good public schools help decrease crime and promote a healthier population. Everyone benefits from quality public schools and the education they provide.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:03 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Exactly. The property tax and public school detractors ignore the reality that good public schools are good for a local economy. Companies don't want to move into areas with bad schools, where their employees with young families wouldn't want to live. Further, good public schools help decrease crime and promote a healthier population. Everyone benefits from quality public schools and the education they provide.
I don't think it's the schools that reduce crime. I think it has to do with parenting and the local environment as far as that goes, and the "good" schools are generally in "good" areas.

Either way, this is all rationalizing that it's okay to force people to pay for their neighbors tuition costs against their will. Would you guys personally go to your neighbors and force them to pay at gunpoint, or is it somehow different when you have the state do it on your behalf? That's the question I ask myself, and I wouldn't do that.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
50% of an individual's property tax should accumulate as the individual's retirement fund.

Bernie would love this.

Or, trump would love it?

Who would love it?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
It's like you own it but at the same time renting from the government
Not exactly. Taxes are taxes, and property taxes are assessed on the value of that property and improvements (buildings).

Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
It's like you own it but at the same time renting from the government
Ask your local and state government.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Do you have roads to and from your property? Is there a fire department and a police department that respond to emergencies? Does a snowplow come by after a storm?
The largest chunk of my property taxes go to the public school system, as I suppose is the case with everyone else who owns property and pays taxes.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
My suburban property tax in Texas: (offset by no state income tax)

$1,220 SCHOOL
$860 CITY
$540 COUNTY
$280 COUNTY HOSPITAL
$170 COMMUNITY COLLEGE
$3,070 TOTAL
Holy crapola! That's a huge tax bill! But, I imagine if we still lived in San Diego, that's what ours would look like, or worse.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:36 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
No one has come up with a better method for funding the necessary services local governments provide.
You're absolutely right.

In the face of an illigitamite, immoral, and violent monopoly (the government) no one has been able to come up with a better alternative.

If you try unsanctioned alternatives you are fined, imprisoned, or murdered. No wonder most folks are reluctant to try such things. Life is funny that way.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
People, all the way from peasant sheep herders to the local aristocrats, have been paying property taxes all the way up the line to the King. Property taxes are based on the assumption, not necessarily accurate, that the more you own the more you can afford to pay. Please note this system frequently resulted in starving peasants but rarely starving aristocrats. This is still true.

I would prefer one tax based on all income from all sources with a base deductible set at the 90th percentile. Let the people that own the country pay for running the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies