Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:05 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,494 times

Advertisements

So we know where the victims were, we know when they were being driven and where, and we know who was driving. Why is this data coming from SafePlace and not the police? This isn't some college party with he-said, she-said.

Or should we make policy based on anonymous complaints with no due process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
So we know where the victims were, we know when they were being driven and where, and we know who was driving. Why is this data coming from SafePlace and not the police? This isn't some college party with he-said, she-said.

Or should we make policy based on anonymous complaints with no due process?
Why? Perhaps because lots of sexual assault victims are already traumatized and fearful of the stress involved in the legal process. I'm just sharing the information because I think it is relevant. Apparantly the only data that you consider relevant is a documented conviction. Many valid complaints will never result in a conviction due to lack of witnesses or other evidence. That does not mean they did not happen. I guess in your mind the lack of a conviction negates all of the women who have come forward with complaints about Bill Cosby's sexual assaults. I am not so narrow minded.

Yes, I believe that the complaints of sexual assaults, convictions or not, are legitimate support for requiring Uber drivers to comply with the same legal and prequalification requirements that any taxi cab driver would have comply with. I see no excuse for Uber drivers to be allowed access to the public marketplace with a lower standard for licensing.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:58 PM

Whoa there, Cap'n, no need to put words in my mouth. I don't own Uber stock. I've done all of 15 rides for them. I like them as a consumer and that's the extent to which I care. I just don't like misinformation.

Quote:
Many valid complaints will never result in a conviction due to lack of witnesses or other evidence.
That's fine, and I'd be happy to look at valid complaints. That means that, when a crime happens, you call the police. No conviction? Fine - in the aggregate, and that's what we're talking about, I'm happy to say 'where there's smoke, there's fire.'

But an anonymous complaint with no follow-up whatever? I just don't see how that's useful from a public policy standpoint. I can set up an anonymous complaint box and anybody can file a complaint. I don't like CptnRn on the Internet? Put his name in there.

None of which is to say that SafePlace isn't serving a very important function. I just don't count accurate crime statistics as one of them. Plus the whole thing is counter-intuitive. Why would anybody commit a crime in their own car when they're being tracked? You have to be a lunatic to do it. That's a non-zero portion of the population to be sure. But you haven't even demonstrated that fingerprinting would do anything about this problem -- much less that the problem exists in sufficient size to be worthy of addressing.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Has anyone considered how often Uber drivers know exactly where a fare's home is after one trip? It's not just assaults during the ride ("in their own car") that are a concern. It's information useful to someone with ill intent either physical or larcenous. I can see being an occasional Uber driver being a great way to gather such information. Pick someone up at home, take them to a party or downtown for dinner and drinking all night, head back to their house or pass the word to a friend if you want to be strictly hands length that the house is going to be empty for some hours. Way to gather information and get paid for the pleasure!

Old 02-23-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Has anyone considered how often Uber drivers know exactly where a fare's home is after one trip?
As a practical matter, you very rarely get this information. You get a dot on the map where the rider wants to be picked up. Obviously if you're out in the burbs and you see somebody come out of their house, you get the address, but then remember - Uber knows you were there, and that's an easy connection for the cops to make.

Much of the time, you're picking up somebody on a curb or on a busy street. You also don't get a history of addresses from your app and so you'd have to write it down on the fly. A dedicated person could certainly do it, but that still begs the question - why would you leave a trail of breadcrumbs when Uber can place you at the scene of the crime the day before you did it? If you're super patient and wait a month, okay, but if you're that dedicated to your career as a criminal, you probably have more efficient means than Uber to get you there.

I don't dismiss this stuff out of hand, but that's one reason I went through the process to see for myself.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:50 PM

615 posts, read 780,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I just saw this news report last night regarding the number of recent sexual assault complaints against Uber drivers in the Austin area.

SafePlace reports two more ride share sex complaints in 2015 | KXAN.com
Six complaints, no charges, and no arrests. And the single confirmed assault was committed by a random guy who did NOT work for Uber or Lyft who offered to drive the victim home for $40.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
I've had fantastic experiences with Uber. I live in the sticks in far west Oak Hill, and usually drive to my daughter's house in Allandale and grab an Uber from her house. Pick ups are almost immediate, we get dropped off right in front of the venue we're going to, and getting picked up and taken back to the house is just as easy. Drivers are always engaging and friendly. I love Uber.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:41 PM

117 posts, read 129,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I've had fantastic experiences with Uber. I live in the sticks in far west Oak Hill, and usually drive to my daughter's house in Allandale and grab an Uber from her house. Pick ups are almost immediate, we get dropped off right in front of the venue we're going to, and getting picked up and taken back to the house is just as easy. Drivers are always engaging and friendly. I love Uber.
Maybe I'll get you guys on one of the few nights I drive - we can trade stories on the haole! If you see a big silver Dodge Ram pull up with an overly talkative guy driving - that's me.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
Why would anybody commit a crime in their own car when they're being tracked? You have to be a lunatic to do it. That's a non-zero portion of the population to be sure. But you haven't even demonstrated that fingerprinting would do anything about this problem -- much less that the problem exists in sufficient size to be worthy of addressing.
Why? Because most criminals who commit sexual assaults are stupid. Fingerprinting is desirable because it provides a positive identification of the person, rather than just relying on documents that can be forged.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Why? Because most criminals who commit sexual assaults are stupid. Fingerprinting is desirable because it provides a positive identification of the person, rather than just relying on documents that can be forged.
as I suggested, then let people who care pay more to get a fingerprinted driver. Make it an option.

Let the market solve the problem. In the past technology didnt exist to provide the ability to let people choose background check or no background check. It made sense for cities to mandate it. Now that the tech exists, lets use the technology and reduce the regulation.

I am not worried about getting sexually assaulted or robbed by my driver. I dont want to pay extra for fingerprints because I dont think they would do anything. A background check is fine and I would pay extra for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
View detailed profiles of: