Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Not in the situation and not a majority of the time. If a person really love someone and they want their children to grow up in a good environment they don't have kids they can't afford. it's not fair to the parents, the child or their hard working neighbors who are paying for their children and someone else's. It's completely irresponsible.
Sex is in fact HARD WIRED into our brains. As is the desire to have children. Trying to claim otherwise is ignoring reality based upon your preferred preconceptions.

But lets assume it wasn't shall we? Lets think of a world where the people unable to afford it stopped having children. You would quite literally doom our race. About 10% of the US could afford children.

You would end up dooming 99% of humanity in the end I suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
sex is hard wired, rich or poor. pregnancy happens even when one is on birth control, many people rich and poor do not believe in abortion. being poor does not automatically discount you from having a family to love, nor should it.
I'd feel a lot more love if you'd pay for your own offspring though.

People who have kids they can't afford are taking from the children of the people who work.

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
BC is readily available, abortion is legal and since when has religious objections stopped the use of either of these two things in recent years?
millions of Catholics do not use BC nor would they have abortions based on their faith.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:05 PM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'd feel a lot more love if you'd pay for your own offspring though.
I can agree with that.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sex is in fact HARD WIRED into our brains. As is the desire to have children. Trying to claim otherwise is ignoring reality based upon your preferred preconceptions.

But lets assume it wasn't shall we? Lets think of a world where the people unable to afford it stopped having children. You would quite literally doom our race. About 10% of the US could afford children.

You would end up dooming 99% of humanity in the end I suspect.
Fine with me. I don't feel a need to keep the planet teeming with humans just for the sake of it. I'd rather that the humans forced to exist here be cared for properly without burdening others who never had a say in the parents' decision to breed.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
again, should...just because they should doesn't mean they do. if BC was more available, abortion and religious objections to both BC and abortion, less poor women would be having babies.
When it comes to birth control, very few American Catholics listen to the Pope.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...eqIR_blog.html
“Birth-control is widely used even by Catholics: 98 percent of American Catholic women have used contraception in their lifetimes.”

Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
Quote:
millions of Catholics do not use BC nor would they have abortions based on their faith.
Yep, the Catholic faith. Even though the Scalia's could afford their kids, as Catholics they used no BC:
Quote:
“Well, we didn’t set out to have nine children. We’re just old-fashioned Catholics, you know? Playing what used to be known as ‘Vatican roulette,'” Antonin Scalia joked to 60 Minutes in 2008.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Why do low wage workers have children they can't afford?

Maybe they once were mid/high wage workers, lost their job for a variety of reasons that could happen to you and I, couldn't get another mid/high wage job, and had to settle for whatever was available.

[life is not perfect]

Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Often, not always but often, low income is due to poor life choices.
This is just one more.
Stupid people do stupid things. They do even more stupid things when their stupidity is subsidized.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
sex is hard wired, rich or poor. pregnancy happens even when one is on birth control, many people rich and poor do not believe in abortion. being poor does not automatically discount you from having a family to love, nor should it.
I don't think these people are the ones we worry about.......it's the ones who have children already knowing they will not be paying any bills, bringing any school supplies and never volunteering to help out during school time.

Along with the men who walk away from the whole family when things don't work out......men should have to pay for every one of the kids they produce, until the children are 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies