Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:39 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
You and UNC are both still missing my points (1) not everyone should go to college (2) there are opportunity costs to going to college aside from just the tuition. And (3) if you will only support your children if they choose college vs some other life path, THAT is Sad. Military, skilled trade, musician, bus driver, Wal-Mart greeter. Almost any job can be done with dignity. It's the child's life not yours, and you should not live your life vicariously thru their life. If they choose college, great, but don't demean those who make a different life choice.

And to get back to the OP's original issue, yes the costs of education are way out of line, and it needs to be addressed.

fwiw, my mother graduated from college way back in the day (and is long-retired school teacher), my lovely bride is a college graduate, I have an MBA and have taught at the University level, my son is a West Point graduate (but only served 5 or 6 years) and also has an MBA, and both of his children are enrolled in college, the oldest of which will graduate in May. Now do you feel better?

Have a nice day. Really.

Jeebus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No one said anything about not letting the kid decide whether they want to advance to college or not. Those are your words. I stand by my statement that you appear to be against furthering education.

I don't think Hoot N Annie is against further education. He's against making a child attend college. I agree with that 100%. Where we seem to have disagreed is when I said that if one of my kids decided against college, I would not hand over to them the money I had saved for their college education. He interpreted that to mean I was trying to "control" them and wouldn't support them in any decision other than college. Not true since parental support goes FAR beyond money.

The reasons I would not hand it over are many: kid could change their mind in a year or two and decide they wanted to go to college; kid not mature/informed enough to invest money wisely; the path the kid chooses may not be very lucrative and they may need the money for something like a down payment on a house or education for their own kids down the road. If either of mine had not wanted to go to college, I would have just set the money aside for the time being until their path became more clear.

I think he does question if it's worth it based on the cost, but I still stand by my statement that spending 85K on an education is a better use of the funds than just investing it for the kid to have in 40 years. The statistics on the average earnings of a college grad support that statement. I am very much pro-education, but if either of my kids had another plan, I would have supported them in their choice.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-15-2016 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 01:40 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,065 times
I'm all for the government paying for the education of deserving students. The government just has to get something back for its investment.

Oh, wait. ROTC already does that.

Never mind...

Old 03-15-2016, 04:46 PM

548 posts, read 473,577 times
Millenials, why do you feel your entitled to free college?

So that we can learn how to use "your" and "you're" properly.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:30 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
A college degree in the 21st century is equivalent to a high school degree in the 20th century. Good paying jobs that won't need advanced skills are never coming back in the millions especially as the population balloons.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
It's so rich when the greatest generation who had free college from the GI Bill !
What was free about risking their lives? (When I hear Bernie talking about trading tours in the Middle East for tuition, I'll start paying attention to him.)

Old 03-15-2016, 08:11 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

I would rather pay more in taxes and not have the debt hanging over my head or my family should something happen to me. I would take a hefty salary cut to do so. The consumer would save money.

Congrats to you. My son has his doctorate in the epigenetics field, so before anyone says, "you hate education" that is completely false. And I paid for his undergrad (grad school was full-ride tuition free).

But how would I exactly "save" money. I'd be paying taxes to support a million of you students, and I guarantee that my tax dollars would be greater than the sum that you tack on if I choose you as my physician when I see you a couple times a year. You spreading your costs onto your customer base = a lot less than 51% of us still paying U.S. taxes to educate all of the U.S.'s youth.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Don't worry. Ever see the movie "idiocracy"? We are well on our way. No education needed.!! Everyone can be a Walmart greeter and only those who can afford it (wealthy parents ) can get an education. While we are at it why not do away with all social programs like public school. Who needs an educated populace. Somalia is great this time of year .

Old 03-15-2016, 08:41 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Maybe because found out the rest of the world who have less- offer it?

Old 03-16-2016, 05:36 AM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Don't worry. Ever see the movie "idiocracy"? We are well on our way. No education needed.!! Everyone can be a Walmart greeter and only those who can afford it (wealthy parents ) can get an education. While we are at it why not do away with all social programs like public school. Who needs an educated populace. Somalia is great this time of year .
Um... we don't have an educated populace. Even WITH public school.

U.S. public schools educate only 26% of all public school students to even basic grade-level proficiency in math, 38% in reading, by 12th grade.

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

That in and of itself is bad enough, but pay very careful attention to the much lower basic proficiency percentages for Black students.

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

Are Blacks inherently less intelligent than everyone else? I don't think so. Or are Democrats insisting on keeping them trapped in subpar public schools to keep teachers unions happy? Think very carefully about how Dems only care about teachers unions' donations and votes, and don't give a sh*t about kids and their future.

And for those who think American millennials with college degrees, and even post grad degrees are adequately educated...

Quote:
"This exam, given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society.

And U.S. millennials performed horribly.

...But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope. U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain.

...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind."
US Millennials Post Abysmal Scores in Thinking Abilities, Math, Literacy, and Technological Problem-Solving
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Old 03-16-2016, 07:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
There has been a mindset of defunding public schools in areas that have no political power. Public schools in areas of economic and political power are often just as good or better than private schools. I live in an area of long island where taxes average 9k per year and our public schools are very good. There are a few areas where the public schools are horrible due to the demographics. When those areas are gentrified the schools will be funded again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies